Enviro Evolution (EF5) Will not ignite the pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CFossNH

Feb 15, 2012
New Hampshire
I have been searching high and low for a solution to my problem with my pellet stove. Came across this forum (Great forum by the way) and was hoping someone had some insight. I bought the Enviro Evolution (EF5) back in August and it was installed (professionaly) in september. 4" pipe; 45* out out of the stove, straight through the wall and up 4' and a fresh air intake. I started the season until the other day using Curran Energy Product blend pellets. After 2 months of use the stove would only ignite the pellets on its own 1 - 2 out of 10 times, other times I would lite it with a torch. I am cleaning my stove (per the manual) twice a week as the ash pan was filling up after after 3/4 days of burning. Contacted a local pellet technician and he instructed to clean my exhaust pipe and disconnect the fresh air intake. I did as instructed and found a very lot of ash in the pipe. Doing these things it still wouldn't lite on its own. The tech comes to the house and basically cleans the stove. I decided to change pellets as the Curran's seemed way to ashy. I changed to New England Pellets; the Tech cleaned out all of the Curran's out of the hopper and auger. Starts the stove and it lights for him.... I am thinking great it was the pellets. That night I tried restarting the stove 4 different times and it would not light, finally after the 4th try I used the torch. I have been trying to get the tech back to the house, but he won't return my call. I forgot to mention the ignitor is bright orange and I have tried all different position for the fresh air adujustmen. The one odd thing I came across was where the ignitor tube comes into the burn pot. There is a 1" hole in the burn pot for the ignitor tube. In the burn pot liner there is a 1/4" hole where the heat from the ignitor comes through, but this 1/4" hole is offset to the side of the 1" hole in the burn pot so it is not directly in front of the ignitor; is this correct? I can attach a pic if someone needs to see what I mean. Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me drone on...

Thanks
Cory

Be sure the burn pot liner is up tight and square to the ignitor tube.

Did it ever light every time? I think I remember seeing an update(service bulletin) on the EF5. But I don't remember all the details. We have a few Enviro dealers that hang out here. Hopefully they check in!

Welcome to the forum Cory.

By all means attach a picture.

Is the area around the igniter in the tube clear of ash?

Thanks for the reply's... Yes the burn pot and liner are up as tight as possible to the ignitor tube. All holes are clear of ash. It did light on its own for the first couple of months, but since November it would only light 1-2 out of 10 times on its own. I will post a pic of the hole offset tonight when I get home. One piece of info that I did gather was Enviro uses the same control board for all of their pellet units and installs a different start up program depending on the unit (dont' know if this is true or not). I don't know how possible it is that my control board has the wrong start up program resulting in an incorrect air/fuel ratio.

Here is a picture of my burn pot and liner. As you can see the 1/4" hole in the liner is nowhere near centered with the ignitor tube hole of the burn pot. Does anyone know if that is normal?

Attachments

• P1030864.jpg
    P1030864.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 316
Status
Not open for further replies.