enviro fire 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kikid

Jan 1, 2007
Hi guys great site glad i found it.. Did alot of searching on the net but can't find my answer so here goes.. I have a enviro fire 3 pellet stove, i had it hooked up to an exsisting 6 inch chimmney from a wood stove used a reducer to go from 6 inch to the 4 inch pellet stove pipe.. So i have the 4 inch pipe feeding about half way up the into the 6 inch chimmey my problem is the bay glass doors get all smoked up.. I am using eastern embers pellets really good and dry low ash content.. I am cleaning the glass every couple of days. So i decided to try something i cleaned the stove from top to bottom the other day, and emptied the ash pan but when putting the ash pan back in i left it open just a hair and i find that with the ash pan door opened just a hair the glass stays clean?? Was wondering what would be doing this thanks in advance....

Check your gaskets. I can't really think of any logical exlpanation as to why the glass stays clean with the ashpan cracked. In all reality it should make the window and overall burn of the stove worse. Can you explain the type of buildup. Is it tar like or is it fluffy fly ash deposits?

Check all your gaskets
An open Ash pan will make a Dirty fire because the Air is deverted from the burn pot.
Check the Air wash track on the door. Clear it out with something soft like a Credit card.

Give the stove more Air.
The EF3 (unless you have the optional stat kit ) does not have a phase controler that speeds up and slows down combuston blower when you turn the feed rate up or down so you have to do this manualy with the air control damper Rod.
if you turn up the feed you have to give it a little bit more air.
when you turn it down you have to give a little bit less.

If you find that sweet spot you dont have adjust much but if you regulate your temp from the high setting to low you may.

Thanks guys i will check that and see what happens.. The dirt on the glass door is like tar but scrapes off very easy.. I will report back and let you know how i make out thanks again for the info :)

kikid said:
Thanks guys i will check that and see what happens.. The dirt on the glass door is like tar but scrapes off very easy.. I will report back and let you know how i make out thanks again for the info :)
If you have A Tar like buid up you have a problem/
Flue blocked
Vent cap pluged
Combustion blower not running full speed.
Combustion chamber ash traps not clear.
Clean out traps not closed
Air control in to far (not enough air)
Door leak
ash pan leak
Burn put not sealing and getting 100% of air through it.
Heat exchange tubes not Cleared with Clean out rake. (iF you can not pull the scrapper you have a problem and need to spray some creosoot destoyer on the tubes and burn the stove hot.)

Sorry guys i was wrong it is ash build up not tar build up but i have done what you had suggested seems when i run stove wide open no ash on glass door when i run it not so hard ash build up on door.. And here in the maritimes of nova scotia canada it is hard like you say to find the sweet spot to allow air and when not to allow the air always changing the augur speed, weird weather i mean i have to choice plus 6 one day then -10 the next grrr.... I have a certified profesional comming over tomorrow to have a look i will post the findings just new to this pellet stove business first year.. I guess everyone goes through this stuff their first year but what a great heat glad i bought it :)

kikid said:
Sorry guys i was wrong it is ash build up not tar build up but i have done what you had suggested seems when i run stove wide open no ash on glass door when i run it not so hard ash build up on door.. And here in the maritimes of nova scotia canada it is hard like you say to find the sweet spot to allow air and when not to allow the air always changing the augur speed, weird weather i mean i have to choice plus 6 one day then -10 the next grrr.... I have a certified profesional comming over tomorrow to have a look i will post the findings just new to this pellet stove business first year.. I guess everyone goes through this stuff their first year but what a great heat glad i bought it :)

IF it is just Ash build up on the lower heat settings then this would be normal with the lower quality of pellets avalable in the North East.
The stove stays cooler on low and less draft to alow air flow through the air wash.
Most cases all pellet stoves will seem dirter on lower setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.