Enviro\Greenfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrondave

Oct 6, 2008
upstate new york
In the market for another pellet stove and I have heard really good things on this forum about Enviro\Greenfires and I want the High\Low function that they offer, but my question is, what good is the High\Low function if you have to have each damper setting set differently with a magnahelic gauge.
To me this just doesn't seem very user friendly ?, and pretty much takes out possiblity of using a programable stat ?

With the digital control that has the hi/lo you set the mag on hi. The controller sets the voltage to the combustion blower for each speed. This eliminates the need for damper adjusting. Most will have a feed trim or combustion blower trim adjustment. Some even have both. Or you use the damper to fine tune the burn. But not so much for different heat levels, But for different pellet quality.

They are not like Breckwells(there are others too!) that would need the damper set for each heat level.

Go see one in action. You'll hear not only the convection motor change speeds, But also the combustion motor. I'll post a chart that shows the voltage per heat setting on some of the earlier stoves. I haven't found a list for the newest stoves but they do adjust the voltage as well!

EF5 with circuit board on down have variable voltage controlled by the control board. Notice the voltage's on the combustion blowers.

Attachments

• envirovoltage.jpg
    envirovoltage.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 278
Thanks thats good to know, so the only time you need to adjust with a mag is if your changing to a different pellet than?, or once it is set you can adust with the trim for a different pellet ?

fire76 said:
Thanks thats good to know, so the only time you need to adjust with a mag is if your changing to a different pellet than?, or once it is set you can adust with the trim for a different pellet ?

Depends on which model you get. If it has the trim adjustment I would use it. Lock the damper rod with provided collars. You can adjust the feed trim down(less fuel) for rich and up(more fuel) for lean. Combustion blower trim would be up(more air) for rich or down(less air) for lean. Both is trickier. Do one at a time and I usually start with the combustion blower trim.

My Omega only has feed trim. So I like using the damper. But I have used feed trim for final treaking.

You could adjust with the mag, Its more precise. But not really needed if cash is tight. Once its set its good to go all season. I got mine more to verify my vent is clean and I like to tinker! But I really don't absolutly have to have it. I did my own install, So it was cheaper to buy my mag than have it set by a tech(at $85/hr). I paid less than $40 total for mine on flea-bay

She chart below for mag settings.

Are you going to do you own install?

Attachments

• enviropowerusage.jpg
    enviropowerusage.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 270
No I'm having the dealer do the install, for insurance purposes, I'm getting the Greenfire GC-60, not sure what adjustments it comes with, basically the same stove as the M-55 cast made by enviro.
He said he uses a magnehelic gauge to set the stove at high and that it did have a trim adjustment.
Will let you know how it goes.

j-takeman said:
fire76 said:

Depends on which model you get. If it has the trim adjustment I would use it. Lock the damper rod with provided collars. You can adjust the feed trim down(less fuel) for rich and up(more fuel) for lean. Combustion blower trim would be up(more air) for rich or down(less air) for lean. Both is trickier. Do one at a time and I usually start with the combustion blower trim.

My Omega only has feed trim. So I like using the damper. But I have used feed trim for final treaking.

You could adjust with the mag, Its more precise. But not really needed if cash is tight. Once its set its good to go all season. I got mine more to verify my vent is clean and I like to tinker! But I really don't absolutly have to have it. I did my own install, So it was cheaper to buy my mag than have it set by a tech(at $85/hr). I paid less than $40 total for mine on flea-bay

Question for you, J. According to the chart, the EF2's and EF3's have line combustion blower voltage for all heat settings. So wouldn't the mag gage reading be the same for all heat levels (for a given damper setting)? Or are they actually implying that if you intend to primarily operate the stove on low, set to .09, and if you primarily intend to operate the stove on high set to .12?

madge69 said:
j-takeman said:
fire76 said:

Question for you, J. According to the chart, the EF2's and EF3's have line combustion blower voltage for all heat settings. So wouldn't the mag gage reading be the same for all heat levels (for a given damper setting)? Or are they actually implying that if you intend to primarily operate the stove on low, set to .09, and if you primarily intend to operate the stove on high set to .12?

I probably wouldn't use the mag on the damper adjusted stoves. I'd go by flame and pellet dance/jiggle. To answer your question, You would use the mag to set the damper to .09 to .10 on low and .12 to .13 on high. Anything in between you would need to wing it.

Having worked on an EF3 and upgraded it to the digital controller for a friend. I can say that the high setting is pretty close to spot on! But with a pellet that has heavy ash. .14-.15 is sometimes needed. So variables like pellet quality can effect what might be needed. Another pointer on the EF3 if your burning a pellet over .6% ash content, Get the high ash burnpot liner. Definetly makes it a bit easier to deal with the so-so pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.