1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Enviro Inserts, the good and the bad...anyone?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by smwilliamson, Jul 15, 2013.

1. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Kinda wanna know.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    I worked on an Enviro Meridian insert. Nice machine and it cranks out alot of heat! Replaced the convection blower and both limit switches.
    Also worked on an Enviro Empress insert. Just needed a good cleaning, a fuse, surge protector and a high limit switch. Great heat when it is clean.

Still it is top feed and I worked on an Enviro Empress FS auger jam.

What model are you thinking of and why do you want to know?
  3. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    WOODSTOVES AND INSERTS DUDE! Not pellets....that's why I posted over here. I know about the pellets up-side-down and sideways!:)
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Not much can go wrong with wood stoves right? I had a VC for 19 years and it worked great with a blower and all.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not so Don. VC freestanding downdraft stoves took a right turn south. Lots to go wrong with them starting with a fragile refractory chamber.
  6. kingquad

kingquad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    I had a 1700 for 2 seasons burning about 24/7. Great insert, no problems. Came in cheaper than the PE Super and Regency 2400 and has a larger firebox than both. Well built and throws a ton of heat. I had no problem getting 12hrs.+ of usable heat out of it. I would definitely consider buying one again, but my next stove will probably be a soaper, cat stove, or both. There was a report of someone having to replace some bearings in the blower, but they were able to use skateboard bearings at a fraction of the cost. I don't hang around here much in the summer, but I'll try to check back if you have any specific questions.

I had the Kodiak, which is the base model. Also, the dealer network sucks.
  7. stovelark

stovelark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE CT
    Hi SM, the wood stoves and inserts are fantastic. Except for the sec burn baffle, very much like PE and Regency. The SS sec tubes are solid performers, I've had the 1700 FS for the past 4 years, its the best burning stove I've had. That's against a Jotul Oslo, Quad 3100, and HS Phoenix, all outstanding burners. Easy to light and run, typical steel stove and great pricing too. Talk to Phil at Russo, Enviro is the best kept wood stove secret around. I'd highly suggest carrying them, we sell them ourselves down here. Supposedly the 2100 is being redesigned, still has the brick baffle in the top and center tube like Napoleon and Energy King at one time had. The Boston is a pretty insert, but the cast mounting frame was close to the blower (mounted vertical on LSF) and would make contact if not just right, we handled prob with gasket in between. The Kodiaks are excellent pricepoints, the 1200 is a solid 1500sqft heater, the 1700 solid 2k plus heater. Enviro (like many other mfrs) went nuts on their ratings in sq ft for the cabello, its the same engine as the others. It was meant to compete against VC Montpelier and Quad's Voyageur (flush mount inserts) the depth is the limitation if there is one. Hope this helps Good luck.
  8. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Thanks.
  9. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH

Thanks
    Good to know. I am glad I sold mine!
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Pretty much every Enviro wood stove owner that passes through here loves'em.
  11. ChadD

ChadD Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I bought the Boston Enviro 1700 in the beginning of December 2012 and heated my whole 1700 sq ft 2 story colonial exclusively with it. Burn times are as advertised I usually get 10 hours if I pack it up. The glass stays very clean,the blower is quiet,seems to be holding up well looks no different inside then when I first got it minus some ash between the firebricks. I am very happy with this insert. If you have any other questions let me know.