Enviro Kodiak 1700 vs Drolet Baltic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RodK

Sep 1, 2014
manitoba Canada
Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to wood stoves in general.

We are purchasing a rural house that is a just over 1600 sq.ft. bungalow and was built in 2007 . the basement is insulated and almost finished. I would be installing it in a corner in the basement (this would be a new install). P.S. we are in Manitoba Canada - COLD winters.

I am looking for a reliable stove that is easy to use and hopefully give all night burns. 2 that I have seen locally are the KODIAK 1700 and Drolet Baltic.

Any thoughts on these 2 stoves or any others that should be thrown into the mix?

I'm new here too and so far I've heard wonderful things about the Kodiak 1700. I'm getting that insert myself. Looking fwd to see what kind of burn I get this winter

I love my Englander 30-NC (same stove as the Timber Ridge 2200) but wouldn't hesitate for a second to heat this joint with the Kodiak 1700. Great wood stove.

One of My favorite Wood stove is the kodiak 2100, just a little larger than the 1700 So a little longer burn times, but the 1700 is a little cleaner burning on low fires, so..... If you go to enviro site they have a coupon thing going on right now

of all 4 of the stoves mentioned in this thread , you cannot go wrong with any of them.

each is an excellent stove

look each up , read reviews , look hard at the "look" of the stove , remember its gonna be sitting there for a long time. enlist the spouse to look at the pictures or the stoves if you go shopping around. there's a lot to be said for warmth that doesn't come from the wood you burn;)

Reactions: MrsFlea
yes, a friend at work has the Kodiak 1700 in his house and 2100 in his shop. He raves about them and said he likes the 1700 more than the 2100. It's good to hear raves from so many others.

I guess the Kodiak is top of the heap so far, keep 'em coming.

Reactions: MrsFlea
One of My favorite Wood stove is the kodiak 2100, just a little larger than the 1700 So a little longer burn times, but the 1700 is a little cleaner burning on low fires, so..... If you go to enviro site they have a coupon thing going on right now

Just went to the site, where did you see the coupon??

http://enviro.com/
click then scroll down look to the far left, click on :instant savings" I didn't do it , does it not take Canadian postal codes?

if not click this http://enviro.com/find-a-dealer/ and request a call back and ask them straight up if it applies to Canadian dealers as well. wont cost you more than a couple clicks and a phone call.

wait a sec, why am I selling someone else's product for them? <> lol hey, it looks like a great stove , just hope my boss doesn't read this

Wait a sec, why am I selling someone else's product for them? <> lol hey, it looks like a great stove , just hope my boss doesn't read this

He'll be watching from above. ;):( (Not sure if there is something like a bittersweet smiley.)

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Enviro makes good stoves. But if the intent is to use basement heating for the whole house in Manitoba I would go large. That would be the Baltic in the Drolet line. It has about .7 cu ft more firebox than the Enviro. If the intent is to primarily heat the basement area then a smaller unit will suffice.

PS: Does the 1600 sq ft include the basement area? If heating the whole house, how will heat get upstairs?

thats an amazingly heartfelt comment my friend. wow. thanks man!

Thanks. I was hoping it would come off the right way but that is never a given on the internet. I am glad you took my comment as it was intended.

(And the way you described your journey with him, I think he would not have expected any less from you.)

Last edited:
How does the drolet compare to the enviro quality wise? It is cheaper even though it is bigger. Priced at Costco.
There are more similarities than differences. Drolet makes a good package at an affordable price. One difference is that the Baltic has a bypass damper which some folks like. Another is that the Baltic baffle and tubes are welded in. They are not considered replaceable parts. On the Enviro they are. The Enviro has a bit of an edge for fit and finish, but whether that is worth a thou more is a reasonable question to ask.

I have been very happy with my Enviro stoves.

the Enviro is about 400 more than the Drolet, but costco also throws in a thermometer, touch up paint, glass cleaner, gloves and moisture meter with the Drolet

Sounds like you're getting a great price on the Enviro. The Baltic is about $1260 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.