Enviro Kodiak 1700 vs Drolet Baltic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the kodiak is worth the extra money then? Actually closer to 500 difference.

What would you rather like to look at for the coming years? Service times of those stoves is 20+ years. You may move out of the house before the stove needs replacement. Check also clearance requirements maybe even building some models out of cardboard boxes to see how much space each stove will need.

Btw. I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but since that is a rather new construction I assume the house is well-insulated and air-tight. Hence, think about adding an outside air kit (OAK) to your install. That will improve draft and be slightly more energy efficient.

Yea, I figured on the OAK. I am hoping this is my last move so long lasting is as important as good looks, ease of use and good heat output.

There are more similarities than differences. Drolet makes a good package at an affordable price. One difference is that the Baltic has a bypass damper which some folks like. Another is that the Baltic baffle and tubes are welded in. They are not considered replaceable parts. On the Enviro they are. The Enviro has a bit of an edge for fit and finish, but whether that is worth a thou more is a reasonable question to ask.

Crazy thing. I'm down to deciding between these exact stoves as well. I'm also glancing sideways at the Century FW3300 for $999 (osburn sol 2.9/ Flame NXT-I) also made by SBI. The last one has a bit of an odd box layout with 2.5 ft and 16.5 wide by 19 deep.

Here in Halifax the difference between the Baltic( costco) and the Kodiak 1700 will be aprox $370 after taxes. I've looked at a lot of stoves recently (including the englander) and I just can't get over the fit and finish of the Enviro. I'll be replacing a Regency R3/R9 medium stove that's aprox 20 years old. I find that the quality is apparent in the Regency and Enviro models vs the Drolets that I've seen. I hate using that word because it can be subjective. Specifically the thickness of the steel, the door hinges, the brick layout and brackets (no brackets in the Baltic), the pedestal and the size and thickness of the secondary burn tubes. The Kodiac seems to have that elusive 2.5ft box that fits 18" logs either way. The Baltic does that as well and then some. I've read a couple of reviews regarding airwash issues on the Baltic. The price is hard to swallow on the Kodiac because I was budgeting around $1000-1200..

I'm heading in to the Enviro dealer tomorrow to take another look. I think I know what my answer is already but we'll see. I think it's just a better quality piece of heating equipment. I think the SBI's are great as well but this time, not always but this time........................I think we'll get what we pay for.

Good luck on your decision. I'll update when I buy something along with pics.

I guess that if you break down how many years of enjoyment you will get out of a wood stove, $370 is not much for better quality. I am strongly leaning towards the Kodiak right now and wondering if I should be looking at the 2100 instead of the 1700.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a stove..........................................................................
It wasn't either of the two stoves up for discussion here.haaa.

I ordered a Drolet Escape 1800 (pedestal, brushed nickel door) from a local "Home Hardware" store. I had looked at this stove online before but I couldn't get it for a good price and I couldn't find one locally to look at in person. When it went on sale at Home Hardware I managed to find a store that had one in stock. I was quite impressed with it. Also, the wife saw the Kodiac and didn't really like the "rough" look of it. Go figure.

Anyways, after I talked myself out of the Baltic, the Escape seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely.

2.4 ft box
20"logs East/West
Airmate
good clearances
fully lined
nice aesthetically
large glass viewing area
and similar specs for BTUs and efficiency to the other two.

The price on sale was really hard to beat as well.

Am I 100% satisfied with my decision????? No
But a solid 95%.

The main compromise is the fact that I can't fit 18" logs North/South. I think I can live with that considering all of the other pluses. Many have reviewed this stove positively and said that the East/West is good for a slower controlled burn. We'll see. I guess after the wife shot down the Kodiac (Happy wife, happy life) this one just makes sense. I really liked the look and feel of this stove as well.

Thats it!

I'll update when it arrives.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a stove..........................................................................
It wasn't either of the two stoves up for discussion here.haaa.

I ordered a Drolet Escape 1800 (pedestal, brushed nickel door) from a local "Home Hardware" store. I had looked at this stove online before but I couldn't get it for a good price and I couldn't find one locally to look at in person. When it went on sale at Home Hardware I managed to find a store that had one in stock. I was quite impressed with it. Also, the wife saw the Kodiac and didn't really like the "rough" look of it. Go figure.

Anyways, after I talked myself out of the Baltic, the Escape seemed to fit the bill pretty nicely.

2.4 ft box
20"logs East/West
Airmate
good clearances
fully lined
nice aesthetically
large glass viewing area
and similar specs for BTUs and efficiency to the other two.

The price on sale was really hard to beat as well.

Am I 100% satisfied with my decision????? No
But a solid 95%.

The main compromise is the fact that I can't fit 18" logs North/South. I think I can live with that considering all of the other pluses. Many have reviewed this stove positively and said that the East/West is good for a slower controlled burn. We'll see. I guess after the wife shot down the Kodiac (Happy wife, happy life) this one just makes sense. I really liked the look and feel of this stove as well.

Thats it!

I'll update when it arrives.
You'll like it. I ended up with one after having the Baltic. It was just too finicky in my set up. Just make sure the wood is dry and you'll be good to go.

As the wife, I got to pick, and we just started burning our Kodiak 1700 this year. No frills or gimmicks, just an awesome, controlled, heavy duty heat! We absolutely love it!! from the looks of it you'll be happy with the Drolet too. Happy Burning
IMAG1662_1.jpgIMAG1664.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.