Enviro Kodiak or Boston

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wong123

Hi there I posted on the pellet stove forum initially because of some killer deals a local company got from buying out the stock of a business shutting down.

They have some stand alone stoves and I am reconsidering the wood stove option now even though it would cost me more up front for the pipping...

Whats everyones thoughts on the Enviro Boston 1700 and the Kodiak 1700? which is a better stove? I have been hearing that steel is the way to go?

I cannot recall reading here any serious problems associated with an Enviro wood stove, so I am pretty sure you will be happy with whatever model you'll buy. The inner parts of both stoves are the same. The Boston has an additional cast iron outer shell while the Kodiak is steel only. What you have heard off may refer to stoves fully made from cast iron which have their drawbacks but that does not apply to the Boston. The cast iron shell will take up some of the heat from the fire and radiate it slowly into the room. You will therefore see less of the temperature swings that are usually associated with more simple steel wood stoves. On the other hand, if you have frequent cold starts from which you want to warm up the house as fast as possible you may be better off with a steel stove. If you prefer more even heat and a stove that will still be warm (e. g. in the morning) even when the fire is out than go for the cast iron. Should those differences not matter to you I would base my decision on looks and price. What size area do you want to heat? Is the stove for supplemental or primary heat?

Make sure to use dry, seasoned wood or you will not be happy with either model (or any other EPA-stove).

They are the same steel stove at heart, but the Boston model has a cast iron jacket, similar to the PE Alderlea line. The Boston will be a more convective stove with less temperature swing.

Thabks guys. Itll be my main source of heating for a 2250sqft home. The stove would be on thr main floor of the entrance where i want the heat to heat the upstairs as well as the mainfloor. Which would e etter the cast iron or all steel? Thanks

Having installed and used both, they operate very similarly. The Boston is much more attractive being an outer cast stove, and it does temper the heating cycle undulations somewhat. I'd think you'd be very happy with either stove. Pure looks Boston, budget in mind the Kodiak, it is an outstanding value. Bear in mind, 2250sqft is a lot to heat in your climate, that is their upper side to take care of. Good luck.

I would heat with either one in a heartbeat. In fact years ago I tried to buy a Kodiak but an idiot dealer lied saying he didn't sell them trying to pawn off another stove he was loaded up on. Ordered the 30-NC the next day.

He called me two months later saying he would be glad to sell me one. Snoozed and loozed.

Reactions: stovelark
Thabks guys. Itll be my main source of heating for a 2250sqft home. The stove would be on thr main floor of the entrance where i want the heat to heat the upstairs as well as the mainfloor. Which would e etter the cast iron or all steel? Thanks

Both stoves will essentially provide the same amount of heat over a burn cycle (from loading the stove with fresh wood until its burned down to coals and more wood needs to be added). In theory, the Kodiak will throw more heat early on and then cool down more quickly; the Boston will be slower in warming up but also slower in cooling down. Since I have not burned either stove not sure how much of a difference there really is. Take the one you like the look more and that fits your budget. You cannot go really wrong with either stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.