Enviro Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brogsie

Feeling the Heat
Dec 19, 2007
eastern MA
Hi Guys,

Just found this forum and can't stop reading.

I have a VC Defiant 1986 w/cat. I picked up a box of Enviro Logs at Home Depot to try out for emergency back up.
It says they are wood stove safe. I read on this forum that wax is bad for the cat. converter. These logs are made from
old fruit and vegitable containers (waxed cardboard). Are they in fact OK to use in my stove? I also picked up a package of BioBricks to try.
Are they safe? Or should I stay away from these types of product? I have not used any yet, Thanks

I've read on here that Biobricks are fine to use in a wood stove, just can be $$$$.

Not sure about the Envirologs but I was just looking at those too.

Biobricks are safe and have been tested with catalytic stoves. I'm not sure about the Enviro logs. Best to ask the company.

I run a Defiant Catalytic. I'm very meticulous about what I run it. Out here in the Pacific NW we have "Pres-to Logs" which are compressed sawdust with no fillers or harmful binders. They are 100% safe to run in a wood stove and many people here run them in cats and non-cats. The BioBricks I've never seen before. It looks like an East Coast version of Presto Logs. If they are just sawdust they are also fine. However I wouldn't want to run any type of waxed anything in my stove. It sounds like it's hard to say exactly what is in these enviro logs and I'd probably avoid them.

Also, the compressed sawdust products like Presto logs are very dry compared to cord wood. As a result they burn really hot. You don't want to load your stove up with them because it could over fire. I don't run any more than four presto logs in my stove at once, and that's only after the first two have burned down quite a bit. I'd be pretty scared running a full fire box full of these products. Just a warning if you do decide to get some to use.

Even then, I actually prefer cord wood over these products. The Presto Logs are lot easier to handle and store (less dirt), but they don't burn as well in my stove and seem to only have two temperature ranges: Smoldering cold and Blazing hot.

The above advice may vary with your stove and installation. It's just what I've experienced.

fire_logs.jpg

The Pres-to-Logs are nice. Are you a dealer? I posted a comparison testing of them on the hearth wiki last year:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Special:Categories

Your caveat with the Pres-to-Logs is correct. They contain a lot of heat energy. Bio Bricks are similar composition, but their unique form (brick shaped) allows one to pack the stove densely and get a longer burn without over-heating the stove.

Edit: I am in error, I have not tried the Pres-to-Logs. I tried the Homefire Prest-Logs.

BeGreen said:
The Pres-to-Logs are nice. Are you a dealer? I posted a comparison testing of them on the hearth wiki last year:

No I'm not a dealer. I had to use them extensively my first season because the wood I had was too green and was burning poorly. I still have some here as left overs (or backup?), but prefer good seasoned cord wood.

The one nice thing about these compressed wood products is they can be stored inside without the dirt and bug problems. It's nice to be able to go into a store room and grab a couple logs instead of heading out to the wood pile when it is cold, wet, or snowy. Just don't let them get wet or they'll fall into sawdust immediately and be ruined.

In my stove the drawback was that I didn't like how they burned. The temperature control on the stove could either keep them extremely hot at the top end or too cold/smoldering at the low end. There was no in-between. In fact, at the low-end they'd smolder down and then the smoke would suddenly flare up and push smoke out of the wood door seals. It wasn't something I felt comfortable seeing.

I also didn't like the coals they left compared to cord wood. I felt also that because they burned so hot and so fast that I was using more of them than I did with the equivalent cord wood. The extra heat they were generating was being wasted as it was cooking us out of the room. Also, the smoldering they did really made the catalyst work much harder than it ever does when burning wood.

So in the end I decided to deal with the dirt and trekking outdoors to get wood when needed. But I'll tell you what, a lot of people burn presto logs around here and love them. My chimney sweep thinks I'm crazy for not liking them as that's the only thing he burns himself. Maybe with a different stove or install I'd like them more.

I'd say if anyone reading is interested they should just buy some to test them out. You may like the convenience and how they burn in your stove. Or you may just be a curmudgeon like me and prefer cord wood. :)

Thanks for the responces. I will call The company and let you guys know what they say.
Have a warm and toasty hollidays

Maybe the problem with those prestologs is that their round shape exposes too much surface area at once, whereas the bricks fit together to reduce surface area.

That is correct, though it's not really a problem for many folks. The Pres-to-Logs make up for it with incredible density, much more than the Bio Bricks. It's not unusual to have hot, glowing coals 10 hrs later from the logs. Each product has it's place, I liked them both. And the Northern Idaho Energy logs were pretty nice too. All of these products were a cut above the conventional pressed log.

BeGreen said:
That is correct, though it's not really a problem for many folks. The Pres-to-Logs make up for it with incredible density, much more than the Bio Bricks. It's not unusual to have hot, glowing coals 10 hrs later from the logs. Each product has it's place, I liked them both. And the Northern Idaho Energy logs were pretty nice too. All of these products were a cut above the conventional pressed log.

Actually, BioBricks(tm) are a little more than 1000 kg/m3 whereas presto logs are around 10% more dense - not what I would call "much more dense". Given that BioBricks(tm) do not accordian out in the layers that presto logs are made in one needs to recognize that when it matters, ie in the burn, BioBricks are more dense.....

The Home Fire Prest Logs hardly accordion out. They are very dense and burn down to a hot solid coal even after many hours. That is one of their unique characteristics. They are dense enough to sink in water.

BeGreen said:
The Home Fire Prest Logs hardly accordion out. They are very dense and burn down to a hot solid coal even after many hours. That is one of their unique characteristics. They are dense enough to sink in water.

The most you can densify wood is around 1400 kg/m3. homefire logs are around 1200, presto logs around 1100, Biobricks more than 1000 (they sink in water too)

The presto logs from lignetics are made with a Pavert mechnical press and do accordian outward when burned

My original question does anyone know if I should not burn the Enviro-log (made of waxed cardboard)in a catalytic stove?
I have e-mailed the company but have not heard back. Thanks

brogsie said:
My original question does anyone know if I should not burn the Enviro-log (made of waxed cardboard)in a catalytic stove?
I have e-mailed the company but have not heard back. Thanks

Stove manufacturers say dont burn wax logs - eg duraflame. a log made of waxed cardboard is a waxed log, right?

BioPellet said:
BeGreen said:
The most you can densify wood is around 1400 kg/m3. homefire logs are around 1200, presto logs around 1100, Biobricks more than 1000 (they sink in water too)
The presto logs from lignetics are made with a Pavert mechnical press and do accordian outward when burned

Sorry, you are correct, my error. (corrected previous post) I was confusing the name of the original logs that has been bought and sold. I haven't tried the Lignetic logs for a long while. Last year I tried the WOW High Energy logs and they do accordion. I wasn't fond of this style log. They form a giant cigar ash. What I did test and liked besides the BioBricks were The Home Fire Prest-Logs and the (original) Northern Idaho Energy Logs which were quite stable and produced very little ash.

My goal this year is to find some Bear Mountain Jumbo Fire Logs and test them. I've heard they are a nice product too. I will also try the Pres-to Logs for a comparison. They should be available locally.

You should not burn anything in a catalytic stove except wood based products. The Bio Bricks and Sawdust logs do not have any binders in them. The WAX in the logs you are asking about is not good for the CAT. It will burn, but might end up reducing the life of the CAT and will burn hot in any event.
Since you are in MA, I know you can get Bio Bricks, there is a supplier in central mass, do a search on Google for that. I am not aware of a supplier of the sawdust logs around here (New England) but would be interested to know if anyone else knows of one. These options are good emergency ones. Cordwood is still the least expensive for most areas.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the help. Glad I didn't try them. Will definately tr y the bio-bricks.

Heat Miser said:
In my stove the drawback was that I didn't like how they burned. The temperature control on the stove could either keep them extremely hot at the top end or too cold/smoldering at the low end. There was no in-between. In fact, at the low-end they'd smolder down and then the smoke would suddenly flare up and push smoke out of the wood door seals. It wasn't something I felt comfortable seeing.

I'm so glad you wrote this. I was searching the forums trying to figure out if I were just incompetent at burning these. This is exactly the same behavior I'm seeing. I get VERY hot heat for about 3-4 hours, then large coals that put out next to no heat for hours on end. I'm about ready to trade my pallet of Prest-Logs for another cord or two of hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.