Enviro M55 Agitator only partially working.....?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Confused! The agitator bar turns fine during the start-up phase and it turns during the shutdown phase. For some reason, it is no longer turning during a normal heating cycle. I am also pretty sure that I don't hear the motor pulsing. As soon as I start the shutdown cycle, I hear the motor and can watch the agitator turning. Other than that, stove runs great......but I am curious......Thanks, Bill

Confused! The agitator bar turns fine during the start-up phase and it turns during the shutdown phase. For some reason, it is no longer turning during a normal heating cycle. I am also pretty sure that I don't hear the motor pulsing. As soon as I start the shutdown cycle, I hear the motor and can watch the agitator turning. Other than that, stove runs great......but I am curious......Thanks, Bill

It only runs sometimes(once every 5 minutes IIRC.) on premium pellet mode. If you want it to run all the time(when the auger turns to dump fuel) go to regular pellet mode.

It only runs sometimes(once every 5 minutes IIRC.) on premium pellet mode. If you want it to run all the time(when the auger turns to dump fuel) go to regular pellet mode.
I understand what your saying.....but other than the startup and shutdown, the agitator is not turning...period! The stove is just finishing shutting down now and for the hour and a half that it was running nicely...the agitator never moved! I had previously cleaned the stove....agitator bar installed correctly and burned pot cleaned.....and again, it turned during startup and shutdown.....only.
Bill

Unless the controller went nuts and the agitator works start and end. Its most likely fine. IMHO its hard to see it move unless you have some type of a reference mark on the shaft. Scratch a line parallel with the shaft for giggles next time you have the door open.

Unless the controller went nuts and the agitator works start and end. Its most likely fine. IMHO its hard to see it move unless you have some type of a reference mark on the shaft. Scratch a line parallel with the shaft for giggles next time you have the door open.
I hear ya, but I have some ash/flake/dots on the bar, plus some small drops of excess Locktite C5-A on the agitator....so it's really easy to see if its moving.......Bill

I thinkit only turns once every 30 minutes on premium, and for like a minute
Actually it runs every 30 minutes for 1 minute, on premium mode!
Bill

Bill, first I would shut the power off to the stove and then power it back up. Like rebooting a computer. It's always worth a try before you start going further. Don't just use the on/off button, actually shut the power off to the stove, let it sit for a few minutes and then turn the power back on, then hit your on/off button to start the stove and see if it still does this. If this doesn't fix it, try switching to a from premium to another fuel type setting and see if the agitator works correct. Then if it does, switch it back to premium. If it only has the problem in premium, I'm thinking there is something wrong with the board.

I had the exact same problem, but mine is a Max-M. Drove me nuts for 2 months of starring at it, trying to see if the agitator bar turns(which it didn't, but you could always hear the motor when it should have). Finally, with no warranty because I installed it myself....I took off the side cover to have a look. Lo and behold, there was some kind of offset screw, physically preventing the motor from turning the agitator. You could see it just a few turns too loose. Tightened that up, and then I had "turn clearance." That solved the problem for me, I hope it works for you!

For the OP...double check that the agitator is seated in the slot 100%. It might be not locked in. Happens to me once in awhile after a clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.