Enviro M55 Cast - funny smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdavis

Jan 3, 2009
Kent Island
Hello - I am the pround new of an Enviro M55 Cast. I just fired it up this afternoon, great heat, great flame. When I first fired it up there was some smoke coming out of the sides...it is a funny burning oil type smell/smoke. The smoke stopped after 10 minutes or so. The instructions warned of a "burn in" odor...just wondering how long the odor will last.

Is this normal...I appreciate any input!

well with a new furnce the smell is useally gone after the first good burn. I let the run till the smoke stops coming out of the vents and another good 10 min. Let the unti cool down and air out building. Then you are good to go. I asume it should be close to same with your stove.

Shorebilly said:
Hello - I am the pround new of an Enviro M55 Cast. I just fired it up this afternoon, great heat, great flame. When I first fired it up there was some smoke coming out of the sides...it is a funny burning oil type smell/smoke. The smoke stopped after 10 minutes or so. The instructions warned of a "burn in" odor...just wondering how long the odor will last.

Is this normal...I appreciate any input!

Its normal, we had the same problem it lasted an hour. The dealer said its the new paint/enamel thats baking.

IMHO a good dealer would do the 'burn-in' and make sure the stove works before the install...

Same here. Smell lasted about an hour. I cranked the stove up to 4 for 20 minutes to really bake the finish. I opened the window and put the attic fan on and we were good to go. Good luck with the stove.

krooser said:
IMHO a good dealer would do the 'burn-in' and make sure the stove works before the install...

Sounds good until the sale falls through and the dealer is stuck with a used stove.

thanks for the feedback...the smell is gone and the heat is on!

Shorebilly said:
thanks for the feedback...the smell is gone and the heat is on!

Welcome and enjoy the heat !

Shorebilly,

How do you like the M55 cast so far? Hopefully you can post a picture of the pretty new toy of yours.

Enjoy the heat!

j-takeman said:
Shorebilly,

How do you like the M55 cast so far? Hopefully you can post a picture of the pretty new toy of yours.

Enjoy the heat!

J - We are into day three and we love it. Below you will find a couple of key points/things I am working on...along with a couple of questions.

1. The stove is very very quite. We hear the slight humm of the fan and noise of falling pellets. We have not had noise issues like some folks on the forum. Knock on wood.

2. Thermostat - It is obvious at this point we need a wireless thermostat. In manual mode this thing will comsume some pellets...even on 1. I have seen some recommendations on the forum. I'm considering the Skytech 3301. Recommendations?

3. Settings - We are using the default trim/blower settings and have not had the heat above 3. Fuel quality was defaulted to premium, I adjusted it to regualr based on forum feedback. The flame and heat are great.

4. Pellets - The dealer included 2-Tons of O'Malley's with the stove. It seems like some bags burn hotter than others...is this normal?

I dont think the heat pump came on once yesterday!

I do have a picture...trying to figure out how to make it smaller.

thanks!

I can answer number 4 for you. Yes I have seen pellets vary from bag to bag. Especially if there is a major size variation or density difference. Longer pellets will reduce the fuel charge and even stall the auger motor as it tries to break the long pellets. The shorter pellet enhance it as more can be feed into the burnpot. Its all has to do with the volume of fuel feed to the burnpot by the auger.

Status
Not open for further replies.