Enviro M55 Cast Insert ashpan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfrfun

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Does the ashpan hang on rails under the stove? Or does it just sit on the floor? I'm trying to decide if I need to go to all the trouble that the manual indicates for building a base. They want metal studs layed on their sides, then concrete board, then tile. I've already got 1/2" concrete board and tile since I'm replacing my gas insert with this pellet insert. Seems to me that that would be plenty of protection for the wood floor underneath.
Flynfrfun

It doesn't sit on the floor, there is a metal housing around it. The base of the stove slides out and then you can access the ash pan which then slides out from the housing. Something odd though......the ash pan is 3 sided.

NPCoot

NPCoot said:
It doesn't sit on the floor, there is a metal housing around it. The base of the stove slides out and then you can access the ash pan which then slides out from the housing. Something odd though......the ash pan is 3 sided.

NPCoot

Thanks! Hmm, I wonder why they did that? Might have to ask Enviro if we can install a piece of sheet metal to close it up. After looking at all the posts here about hearth pads, I'm going to follow the mfg specs even though it sure seems like overkill to me.
Flynfrfun

Your welcome. I skipped right over the hearth section as I have a full masonry chimney with a raised flagstone hearth. I'd follow their recommendations as well. As for the 3 sided ash pan, I'll probably be adding the 4th side myself. I did ask my dealer about it and he's going to ask Enviro if this is "normal" and what their intentions were/are. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

By the way, I just cleaned my stove for the first time after 2 straight days of burning and there was substantial ash in the pan, but not enough to come out the back when I pulled the pan out. But I would imagine that after a solid week of burning that pan will be full and ashes are going to spill out the back when you pull it out. Only time will tell........

I worked a half day yesterday getting my old gas insert out. Today I spent my time getting materials from the hardware store and capping the gas line. Tomorrow, I hope to frame up the Durock "box" that Enviro requires. Luckily my insurance company doesn't require a professional installation of the insert, so I plan on doing that myself too. Looks to be pretty easy compared to what I'm having to do getting the space ready for it. They have to come take pics and verify it meets their specs when I'm done. I got the spec sheet from them so I knew what to expect.

I'm hoping to have it up and running early next week sometime.
Flynfrfun

NPCoot said:

NPCoot

Never heard of a three sided ashpan!!! I would love to see a photo of this Animal. I would hate to order a new M55 Insert and receive no back to my ashpan. :)

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.