Enviro M55 Cast Iron Inser is in......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vid Lopez

Nov 19, 2010
Chesapeake City, MD
The machine arrived today and will be installed hopefully today. They are taking out the old built in FP.
Any tips on getting started with it? Is there any "break in" period or anything I need to do? Can't wait,
will have pictures once finished.

Vid said:
The machine arrived today and will be installed hopefully today. They are taking out the old built in FP.
Any tips on getting started with it? Is there any "break in" period or anything I need to do? Can't wait,

Vid,
My M55 Cast Insert has been going for a week now. I started mine and ran it on heat level 2 for a while. But the first time I turned it up to 3 and above, it started smoking. Don't worry, this is just the paint burning in from the heat exchanger tubes. I initially thought I had an exhaust leak and was happy to realize that was not the case. It took a couple of days of burning to get it burned in before the smell stopped. Of course, you would still want to make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks. One way I figured out it was the paint was that it didn't smoke right after startup when it was still cool. It only started smoking once it got hot. If it smokes right at startup, then it would more than likely be an exhaust leak. I'm not talking about the smoke IN the stove, only smoke OUTSIDE of the stove. It is normal for it to smoke inside the stove while the pellets are lighting.

One thing of interest is that in order to get the side panels on/off you have to slide open the hopper lid to make room to slide them in from above.

Also, unless you are always going to have someone else do your maintenance, you are going to want to get a set of rails to pull the unit out onto for maintenance/cleaning. In my case, my hearth was the perfect height for a 2x4 laid on it's side and a couple of 48" length angle iron from Home Depot. I think you can get an adjustable height rail from Enviro, but don't know how much it cost. My setup only cost about $10 total. Here is a pic of my rail setup...you can see the metal stud supported hearth that I built. I have since installed wood trim, so the studs are no longer visible.

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Last night we had a blizzard with high winds, snow and temps in the teens. It kept our living room at 72F on heat level 2. I haven't measured the rest of the house, but would estimate about 5F cooler upstairs in the rooms farthest away from the stairwell. I did run the furnace a few times for 30min just to even out the heat a little.
Flynfrfun

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 821
Hey Flyfrfun,

Great info. I will follow the same and let you know about the smoke. I did not get the rail system but may be something to look into. I do have a raised hearth so not sure how that works although I am not too handy so I may just have the installer who also does the maintanance do it once a year and I will do the regular weekly cleanings. Our weather is been pleasantly warm for this time of the year, past couple of weeks it has been in the 55 to 60 range but I am sure it will soon change. I am looking forward to heating a large part of my home with this machine, hopefully. Thanks for the info and I will post pictures once it is in. Yours looks great and stay warm.

Vid said:

I agree with Flynfrfun. I installed my M55 a couple weeks ago and experienced the same smoking. It will go away fairly quick. Also, my owner's manual packet came with a supplement sheet explaining paint curing process and that you should open and close your door (main door, not the cast iron "shell") every 10 minutes, for the first 30 minutes during your first burn to prevent the door gasket from sticking.

Hope you enjoy it, so far I love mine!

NPCoot

NPCoot,

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to do that. Installer just told me they will have it in tomorrow since they are finishing the insulating and work on the space where the old fireplace was.

Glad you guys like your machine, I hope I have a very positive experience as well.

Looks Great!! I did something similiar but more Amish-ish. I laid two 2x4's and put 2 smaller 2x4's under the feet the laid two pipes on the 2x4s I was using as rails and rolled it into location then removed everything. Took a bit of wrangling but it worked. My Mt Vernon is nestled in a corner, so not looking forward to pulling it out for cleaning. I like that rail idea but hate to think of the cost.

Turbo-Quad said:
... I like that rail idea but hate to think of the cost.

Turbo,
What did you mean by that part of your statement? The rail system is incorporated into the design of the M55. So there was no extra cost to the end user other than buying two pieces of angle iron and whatever it requires to get them to the right height.
Flynfrfun

j-takeman,

Me too! It will be up and running tomorrow. I hate the really cold weather but now I am wishing
for it.... I must be a sick puppy!

Vid said:
j-takeman,

Me too! It will be up and running tomorrow. I hate the really cold weather but now I am wishing
for it.... I must be a sick puppy!

Most here are, So? You'll fit right in! :)

I am not much for the cold, But its nature way of making us enjoy our stoves to the point we are a bit crazy for them. Just wait until you can't pass a store or place that carries pellets. You can't not help but check them out and chat with all the other pellet gazers! Then anytime you see something new you just have to get a few bags to try them in the stove. Almost huanting if you don't try them. :sick: We call it pellet swine Flu, Which leads to pellet piggieness! :)

I am all for it. I am sure I will turn as such but hey, if it keeps us warm ( I live with my wife and our five daughters ) they are always cold. I will not be passing up any stores having all this really neat stuff. What type of pellets are good for this machine do you know? I am not sure what they carry in these parts, I live in Chesapeake City, MD which is close to the Delaware area. If you know of really good ones for this stove let me know.

Enviro M55 CFPI

Thats the nice thing with a multifuel stove. They like all pellets! :) But your looking for the cleanest hottest you can get and afford. I honestly haven't found a pellet my stove can't burn. I am the picky one!

I bought a M55 Cast, its my first pellet stove. My brother has an older style Enviro, he bought a few years ago. I`ve been comparing mine to his, i find his pushes more air than mine. I`m trying to heat a larger area than he is, i`m in the process of putting a ceiling fan up, hoping that will push some air around.
Is there anyway to adjust the blower

slick said:
I bought a M55 Cast, its my first pellet stove. My brother has an older style Enviro, he bought a few years ago. I`ve been comparing mine to his, i find his pushes more air than mine. I`m trying to heat a larger area than he is, i`m in the process of putting a ceiling fan up, hoping that will push some air around.
Is there anyway to adjust the blower

Slick,
I have a ceiling fan in the same room as my M55 Cast and it really helps move the air around. I put the fan in reverse and turn it on the lowest speed. Works great. But, I wish the stove's fan put out more air. I know they were trying to make it as quiet as possible, but the fan is very quiet as it is. It could stand to put out a little more air at the expense of a little more noise and still be very quiet.
Flynfrfun

Do you have any other concerns, i would like to know your opinion. I hope the fan will work, what kind od pellets do you use, some people say hard wood produce more heat.

slick said:
Do you have any other concerns, i would like to know your opinion. I hope the fan will work, what kind od pellets do you use, some people say hard wood produce more heat.

generally softwoods have more btu's....

I'm using Clean Burn brand pellets. It is a Douglas Fir pellet. I don't know a whole lot about pellets, but seem to hear that Douglas Fir is one of the better types of pellets. I live in the Seattle area and Clean Burn are made right here in Tacoma. My dealer picks them up direct from the mill and said sometimes they are still warm they are so fresh. Burned some Atlas brand pellets and they seemed similar to the Clean Burn but they are Douglas Fir also. I have very little fines with the Clean Burn (like about 1/4 cup or less). I think this is because they are not trucked very far.
Flynfrfun

slick said:

The only concern I have is that my auger motor is very noisy. It has a gear whine kind of noise that is really irritating. My dealer came out and replaced it with a new one and still same problem. I was not able to see any M55 Cast stoves in the stores, but listened very carefully to the M55 steel freestanding and I could not hear the auger at all. Both share the same parts and design. My dealer is communicating with Enviro. They think it is possible that I have a bushing problem on my auger, but the senior tech is out on vacation right now. Hopefully after Thanksgiving we can get this diagnosed and fixed. I will be removing the auger this weekend to see if I see anything obvious. One thing I have noticed of interest is that the M55 steel's technical manual shows the auger 180 degrees opposite of what the M55 cast insert technical manual indicates. The auger has paddles at one end. Not sure what they are for, but the M55 cast shows them at the top of the hopper where the pellets fall into the chute. The M55 steel freestanding shows the paddles at the other end down in the hopper. Just wondering where it is supposed to be and if that might be playing into where my noise is coming from as the motor might be under strain if the paddles are causing more work if they are at the wrong end? Minus the auger noise, I really like this stove as the rest of it is whisper quiet.
Flynfrfun

I`m finding that the agitator in the burn pot is throwing pellets in the ash pan before they have time to burn, do you see that problem as well? I'm a little disappointed with the amount of hot air blowing out, should have a more powerful fan. Wish there was a way to boost the fan. HAven't had any real cold weather up here in Nova SCotia yet, hope it will keep me warm. :)

slick said:
I`m finding that the agitator in the burn pot is throwing pellets in the ash pan before they have time to burn, do you see that problem as well? I'm a little disappointed with the amount of hot air blowing out, should have a more powerful fan. Wish there was a way to boost the fan. HAven't had any real cold weather up here in Nova SCotia yet, hope it will keep me warm. :)

Make sure you are on "premium" fuel mode which is the red LED. Mine will push a few pellets into the ashpan during startup, but after it gets going they burn before they have a chance to get pushed over. I agree on the fan power, it could use a little more. Is your auger motor quiet?
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
Make sure you are on "premium" fuel mode which is the red LED. Mine will push a few pellets into the ashpan during startup, but after it gets going they burn before they have a chance to get pushed over. I agree on the fan power, it could use a little more. Is your auger motor quiet?
Flynfrfun

I think the fan power was a price paid for quietness. But I do agree it should be user adjustable. We may see it upgraded in the future. But your most likely going to have the board replaced or reprogrammed.

slick said:

Pellet quality/density/size also has a large effect on what the stove puts out for heat. Pellet density and size effect the volume of fuel the auger dispenses into the burnpot. Fiber quality and moisture effect the BTU's of the pellet. So selecting a few pllet brands and monitoring the heat could assist you in getting the amount of heat you from the stove. At a given heat setting. A pellet that has short length dense pellets. Would put more fuel in per say and release more heat. But the draw back is they would be consumed faster. Dropping the burn length. You would be using more pounds per hour. Another choice is turn up the heat setting to consume more fuel, Which would release more heat! But also consume more pounds per hour and reducing the burn length.

A larger cfm blower would move more air through the convection area. Which in turn could or should cool the stove more. Thus lower the convection temp output of the stove. But it would move more cfm's about the house. So if the air coming off the convection feels cool. Adding a large cfm blower/fan would only cool it more! There nneds to be a balance of sorts.

Just my 2 cents. Heck I might have even confused myself too! :ahhh:

j-takeman said:
flynfrfun said:
Flynfrfun

I think the fan power was a price paid for quietness. But I do agree it should be user adjustable. We may see it upgraded in the future. But your most likely going to have the board replaced or reprogrammed.

Before I get one, I hope everything is tweeked. I remember when the Quad AE came out there were tons of problems. I have a friend that bought one of the first AE's and he still has problems buring 100% corn. He should have demanded more from his dealer but I guess he's happy burning only pellets.

Keep the reviews and opinions on the M55 Cast Insert coming. I want to be educated before I pull the trigger on one. I still would like someone that is familiar with the Quad CB1200i to compare it to the M55 insert as far as heat output. That's what I will be replacing and I really need a larger BTU stove to heat this large square footage.

Stay Warm,

AR

j-takeman,
I think it could definitely use more cfm. On level 3 or higher, the air coming out is really, really hot. So hot I can't hold my hand within 18" of the stove for very long. I'd rather have more air going thru the tubes pulling more heat out of the unit which. The way I see it, some heat is being wasted because we are not pushing it into the room and letting it go out the exhaust. At the very least, Enviro should let us control the fan settings separately. I'd like to push more air out on heat setting 2-3. If I could ramp it up to the air that comes out at heat level 5 but be on heat setting 3, it would probably be a lot better tradeoff. I mean the fan is pretty much silent below heat setting 4 anyways. Enviro should have given us some more cfm to really kick some air out above that. I realize this would make it more noisy, but at least we could turn the fan down if we wanted to and not be locked in to their programming.

I'm going to take a look at the control board to see if Enviro has any adjustment (dip switches, pin bridges etc.) that would increase the fan speed. I'm an electronics newbie so it would have to be something obvious though...
Flynfrfun

Status
Not open for further replies.