Enviro m55 fs Feed Trim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose1

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan

I understand what the feed trim adjustment does but don't understand why one would ever need to make this adjustment. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Hi Goose! I am a newbie, also with an M55! What I can tell you from this board is that the M55 can put out alot of BTU's depending on pellet choice. The stove has a history of dropping slightly more pellets per cycle than it needs to. If the auger is turning and pushing unburned or burning pellets out of the hopper (not good) then the feed rate is too high. Except for the cold of the last two days, I have had the feed trim on 1 and sometime 2. Even with the cold, setting 3 was too much most of the time. If you have a real good premium pellet, most folks will tell you to run in the premium pellet setting. This way the auger turns a lot less and reduces the amount of pellets that get pushed out! The multi fuel setting is for other fuels like corn or just junky pellets. If you stove is new and your serial number is higher than 230348, you most likely have an adjustible auger plate. Either way, I believe your auger feed plate cover is in the middle setting. If it is the adjustible one than you can move it down 1 or 2 positions. When I talked to Enviro, they said that as long as I am burning premium, hot pellets to put the cover plate at the smallest opening...I think, I am only going to go down 1 notch. Smokey the Bear and J-Takeman and others will give you a much more expert opinion!!!! Speaking of which......hey guys? Did I do OK? I have learned so much from all of you folks that I felt I had to contribute.....Bill

The auger feed trim adjustment sets how long the auger spins, and relative to pellet size, how many pellets are dumped into the burn pot per spin. I burn mostly Okanagan pellets which tend to be very short, so I have my auger trim set to #2. When I put in a longer pellet, I will put the auger trim back up to #3. This helps to keep my Okanagan stash in the barn just a little bit longer. I have not noticed any considerable difference in heat output when running Oakanagans on the #3 setting, but I do notice they they disappear a little bit faster.

bostonfan49 said:
......hey guys? Did I do OK? I have learned so much from all of you folks that I felt I had to contribute.....Bill

Well said bill! You getting the hang of this! ;-)

I'll add the reason we adjust feed trim and combustion trim is to get a nice clean burn from the fuel. Some fuels require the feed trim to be lowered to reduce or clean up a rich condition.A rich condition is seen by the ash on the glass. If its black or dark brown? Your on the rich side. Reducing the feed will correct this. You can also increase the combustion trim to also clean up and fine tune the burn.

Some fuels will not feed enough fuel so the feed trim will need to be increased to give a constent flame hight. Or you can reduce/decrease the combustion trim to also help the pellets from burning up too quickly causing the fluctuating flame hight.

Make all the adjustments one step at a time and give it some time to settle in before the next change. Sometimes you can skip right by the best tweak by rushing things. You also find that each pellet will require its own setting and sometimes even the same pellet will need tweaks between batches.

Hope this helps and have fun with it! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.