Enviro m55 fs pellet stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulorAnn

Nov 23, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi, We are new to this forum and are newbys to the pellet stove world. We purchased a closeout enviro m55 fs pellet stove in August. We've just been using this new stove since October, has been a little loud, but, has put out some fantastic heat even though we've only had the stove on 1-3, ever. Well, for the past few nights weve had to put it on 4 cuz it's been really cold, and it didn't feel as warm. It just started smoking and went blowing out cold air, no fire. I just turned it off. Any suggestions of what it might be? Any help is grately appreciated.

You may want to try posting this in the pellet stove forum . . . perhaps a kind Moderator will move it for you.

It was running great on 1-3 then just quit on 4? When it was set to 4 did the pellet feed rate increase along with the air feed? Did it act like the fire was smothered by too many pellets?

Weird.

It was running great on 1-3 then just quit on 4? When it was set to 4 did the pellet feed rate increase along with the air feed? Did it act like the fire was smothered by too many pellets?

Weird.
Yes. We opened the door and it loooked as if someone dumped a pile of pellets in the pot. The feed trim looks like its up to 4 or 5 ( can't tell). Don't know how it got there, or how to turn it back down... (tried). We are using Okanagan gold, super premium grade on multi fuel setting and the feed trim was at 3.

Yes. We opened the door and it loooked as if someone dumped a pile of pellets in the pot. The feed trim looks like its up to 4 or 5 ( can't tell). Don't know how it got there, or how to turn it back down... (tried). We are using Okanagan gold, super premium grade on multi fuel setting and the feed trim was at 3.
To adjust the feed trim you have to depress the feed trim button, hold it, then press the up/down button on the heat setting. You will see the LED change accordingly.

I would play with that. Ours is normally set around 2 feed/2air or 2feed/3air. Our stove has only seen a heat setting of 4 once- it was -28F outside that night.

To adjust the feed trim you have to depress the feed trim button, hold it, then press the up/down button on the heat setting. You will see the LED change accordingly.

I would play with that. Ours is normally set around 2 feed/2air or 2feed/3air. Our stove has only seen a heat setting of 4 once- it was -28F outside that night.
Thank you so much, Threerun. Do you simply not run your stove any higher bcuz you don't require a lot of heat, it's not that cold outside, or your stove is just efficiently keeping your place warm enough? We are heating 1500sqft on one floor and just turned it to 4 bcuz the stove wasn't putting out enough to heat house in the back at 3. It was 6° outside. This surprised us as generally, it puts out a lot of heat.

Thank you so much, Threerun. Do you simply not run your stove any higher bcuz you don't require a lot of heat, it's not that cold outside, or your stove is just efficiently keeping your place warm enough? We are heating 1500sqft on one floor and just turned it to 4 bcuz the stove wasn't putting out enough to heat house in the back at 3. It was 6° outside. This surprised us as generally, it puts out a lot of heat.

It just gets too hot any higher. We live in Montana, so it's plenty cold in the winter, lol. -1 tonight and -10 over the weekend. We have 2,800 sq. ft and the unit is downstairs in our finished family room. Our house is evenly finished, 1,400 up and down, the basement is 1/2 underground. House is 20yrs old, 2x6 and 1" of insulating board behind the drywall. It's pretty well insulated. Typically the basement is 76-77deg and the upstairs 67-69degrees. Perfect for us. Even the two bedrooms downstairs stay warm, and that's down a curved hallway.

Hi Paulor Ann, I have the same stove but (insert) I pretty much run on Heat level 3, Feed 1-2 and 3 when the temp gets down below zero and Air on 3 mostly. If you are running premium pellets I would suggest you run on the Premium setting....the agitator bar will run less and it will be a tad quieter. You say you have been running since October and now it is blowing cold air.......?When was the last time you did the weekly/monthly cleaning?
Bill

It just gets too hot any higher. We live in Montana, so it's plenty cold in the winter, lol. -1 tonight and -10 over the weekend. We have 2,800 sq. ft and the unit is downstairs in our finished family room. Our house is evenly finished, 1,400 up and down, the basement is 1/2 underground. House is 20yrs old, 2x6 and 1" of insulating board behind the drywall. It's pretty well insulated. Typically the basement is 76-77deg and the upstairs 67-69degrees. Perfect for us. Even the two bedrooms downstairs stay warm, and that's down a curved hallway.
Wow...

Hi Paulor Ann, I have the same stove but (insert) I pretty much run on Heat level 3, Feed 1-2 and 3 when the temp gets down below zero and Air on 3 mostly. If you are running premium pellets I would suggest you run on the Premium setting....the agitator bar will run less and it will be a tad quieter. You say you have been running since October and now it is blowing cold air.......?When was the last time you did the weekly/monthly cleaning?
Bill
We clean it every 5 or 6 days. Not sure what the monthly cleaning entails? We just took it apart again and vaccummed those 2 port holes behind the agitator which we had never done before (just saw it on you tube) stove is now burning pellets again and no longer smoking.

Glad your back running:cool: I bet there was a lot of ash buildup in the holes!!! That should be done every 6-7 days. Also make sure you vac around and in between the heat tubes in the top of the chamber. The monthly cleaning is the same as you are doing now but in addition you need to remove the rectangular back cast iron piece. The back side of this panel will probably have a heavy thick layer of gray to black ash on it which you need to vacuum off. While that piece is off, you should vacuum the back wall of the stove because it too will get dirty.
I forgot to mention.....the entire lower metal piece where the two holes are that you vacuumed out.....that piece also lifts out....the backside of it also gets real dirty BUT it's a bit of a pain to pull out and put back in. I would keep watching all the Enviro cleaning videos...they are helpful! If you have a good friendly dealer nearby, I would go there and see if they will help you learn how to remove and replace this lower metal piece.....much easier to do on a clean floor model. Also read the owner's manual religiously. My first winter was trial and error, live and learn....nervously! Good luck, Bill

Reactions: PaulorAnn
Glad your back running:cool: I bet there was a lot of ash buildup in the holes!!! That should be done every 6-7 days. Also make sure you vac around and in between the heat tubes in the top of the chamber. The monthly cleaning is the same as you are doing now but in addition you need to remove the rectangular back cast iron piece. The back side of this panel will probably have a heavy thick layer of gray to black ash on it which you need to vacuum off. While that piece is off, you should vacuum the back wall of the stove because it too will get dirty.
I forgot to mention.....the entire lower metal piece where the two holes are that you vacuumed out.....that piece also lifts out....the backside of it also gets real dirty BUT it's a bit of a pain to pull out and put back in. I would keep watching all the Enviro cleaning videos...they are helpful! If you have a good friendly dealer nearby, I would go there and see if they will help you learn how to remove and replace this lower metal piece.....much easier to do on a clean floor model. Also read the owner's manual religiously. My first winter was trial and error, live and learn....nervously! Good luck, Bill
Thx so much, Bill! Will definitely do!

Status
Not open for further replies.