Enviro m55 fs Pellets to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose1

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan

I was wondering what the advantages of Premium Pellets might be. Are they worth the extra cost and would the stove produce less clinker ash? Also, any thoughts on using corn versus wood pellets?

Thanks!

Just about every pellet I see is premium grade. I have only seen 1 standard grade out there. Your M55 will eat just about anything and you'll be more picky with them than the stove will. Your looking for highest heat for the money spent and as clean as you can get to lessen the cleaning blues.

IMHO all pellets are not created equal and also vary batch to batch. Not to mention stove variation mixed in. So what we might say is dandy, Might give you fits. Best to try whats in your area and see whats up with them. You'll know when you get the good stuff. The heat will be greater and the ash will be lower on the good brands. If you mention whats available, I'm sure the people here will have the good,bad and ugly for you.

Corn is rather high right now, It is a viable back up plan when the prices are moderate. Less fly ash, But it will be more ash by volume/weight than wood pellets. Heat is pretty close with the edge to wood pellets.

Hey Goose, Me again....One advantage of the premium is that in theory you will have less ash, especially burning in the premium mode. The trick as j-takeman stated is finding a good low ash premium pellet and that takes time and experience. I like to run my premium (as stated, most area) in the premium mode is not only less ash/easier cleaning BUT the stove is quieter......Bill

Hey goose, don't forget, the M55 has a lot of settings that can be played with to get the most out of each pellet manufacture, both hard wood and softwood. For me, I have found Okanagans to give me the best heat output. I have my auger trim set to #2 and my combustion blower set to #2 as well. With this, I get great heat and very low ash. The glass on my door will stay clean for many days and I can go as long as a week before I feel I need to clean the stove out. I've tried higher auger trim and combustion blower settings but found that I was just eating up pellets without any considerable difference in heat output, or I was not getting much flame in the burn pot, etc.....

It takes some time, but you will eventually find the right pellet and stove settings for you needs.

I started heating in mid October, heating over 2k sq/ft solely with the pellet stove and I have burnt just a little over 2 tons this season. Not to bad. I will continue to use Okanagans as my primary pellet but will always enjoy throwing a few bags of other types of pellets in the hopper just for some comparative testing.

BradH70 said:
Hey goose, don't forget, the M55 has a lot of settings that can be played with to get the most out of each pellet manufacture, both hard wood and softwood. For me, I have found Okanagans to give me the best heat output. I have my auger trim set to #2 and my combustion blower set to #2 as well. With this, I get great heat and very low ash. The glass on my door will stay clean for many days and I can go as long as a week before I feel I need to clean the stove out. I've tried higher auger trim and combustion blower settings but found that I was just eating up pellets without any considerable difference in heat output, or I was not getting much flame in the burn pot, etc.....

It takes some time, but you will eventually find the right pellet and stove settings for you needs.

I started heating in mid October, heating over 2k sq/ft solely with the pellet stove and I have burnt just a little over 2 tons this season. Not to bad. I will continue to use Okanagans as my primary pellet but will always enjoy throwing a few bags of other types of pellets in the hopper just for some comparative testing.

Are you able to run the same #2, and #2 settings while burning NEWP with similar results?
Thanks,

1D

1Dtml, When I burn NEWP I set the auger trim to #3 and the combustion blower to #3 as well. This seems to give OK results. I haven't burned enough NEWP consistently to get a good feel for were the setting should be. I do get a lot of ash with them and the glass gets black pretty quickly. I have about 15 bags left for the shoulder season and am going to run the combustion blower at #4 when I start to put them in the hopper. This may help with the glass getting dirty. I have heard a lot of people on this forum say that they get a lot of heavy ash with the NEWP, so it my just be the pellets and nothing that changing the stove settings will fix.

BradH70 said:
1Dtml, When I burn NEWP I set the auger trim to #3 and the combustion blower to #3 as well. This seems to give OK results. I haven't burned enough NEWP consistently to get a good feel for were the setting should be. I do get a lot of ash with them and the glass gets black pretty quickly. I have about 15 bags left for the shoulder season and am going to run the combustion blower at #4 when I start to put them in the hopper. This may help with the glass getting dirty. I have heard a lot of people on this forum say that they get a lot of heavy ash with the NEWP, so it my just be the pellets and nothing that changing the stove settings will fix.

Thank you so much for the reply.
I'm new to this, so I have only limited experimentation, but I have tried different settings with different pellets.
I have always ended up back @ the recommended #3, & #3.
I have just started to burn true premium pellets (Somersets), and haven't yet tried any soft wood pellets.

After reading your post I changed my settings to #2, & #2, and the Somersets seem to work better with this setting, but I will have to see what's left in the burn tray, and Ash tray to confirm this opinion.

I have always had a few unburned pellets in the ash tray, no matter what pellet, or settings I've tried.

Are you turning the settings higher if the pellets are larger?

Thanks again,
1D.

Status
Not open for further replies.