Enviro m55 fs question on black exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose1

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan

I've opened my slider damper all the way and have set me air combustion feed up from 2 to #3. This cut down on the dirty glass a fair amount but am still getting some black exhaust outside of the house. Any suggestions what to do next? Could it be the pellets?

Thanks!

Goose, What heat setting are you burning at? I have noticed this a little at the highest heat settings occasionally, when the stove is
really feeding the pellets. Also when burning softwoods I think the black smoke is a little more noticable. One more for ya,
how many bags have burned through the stove so far?

SmokeyTheBear will be by soon with questions about stove and vent setup. This also plays a part in things.

ROTFLMAO,

I'm now the big bad vent police so you had better answer my questions ;-) .

Seriously the venting does have a large impact on how a stove burns as does the air intake.

Would you please tell us piece by piece what your venting is made up of starting at the stove? We need lengths and orientations of all straight runs, the types of all elbows, and the inside diameter of the venting.

Also are you using an OAK and if not please tell us about any other air movers in the house and the floor the stove is installed on?

Yes we are very nosy also pictures of the outside portion of the venting.

STB :) Just poking a little fun. ;-P You have eloquintely worded this question/answer many times.

Should be copy and paste by now.

I only have black exhaust smoke on a setting of #3 or higher. I've ran about 2 tons of regular pellets through my stove so far this winter..................this is my first winter and my first stove.

Well,

I'll make a suggestion clean the stove and the venting. Then properly set the damper with a mag. After setting the damper only use your trim controls. When the trim controls no longer can clean up the burn, clean your stove and venting again. Repeat as needed.

If your venting is out of specification you should expect to need more frequent cleanings and for other possible problems.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Well,

I'll make a suggestion clean the stove and the venting. Then properly set the damper with a mag. After setting the damper only use your trim controls. When the trim controls no longer can clean up the burn, clean your stove and venting again. Repeat as needed.

If your venting is out of specification you should expect to need more frequent cleanings and for other possible problems.

X2, A thorough cleaning of the stove, venting and combustion blower should clean this up.
I had similar issue last season after burning about a ton and a half of shoulder pellets. Cleanup was all it needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.