Enviro M55 Going threw pellets fast how fast is fast?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JIBLANE

Oct 29, 2011
Long Island NY
I have heard many say you should burn a bag a day. Well I have the Enviro M55 FS I seem to be going threw close to two bags per day thats set at 2 or 3 and its not that cold yet.
At this time I didn't hook up a thermastate yet I want to see how it plays out. Some have mentioned don't bother. I am a contracter so did my own instal Unit seems to works great Flame seems fine. Adding a Therm is no issue just don't know if I really need to.
If I go out we run it on low setting or shut it off I someones home they set it accordingly. Being new to stoves I'm just wondering if adjust ment can halp burn less pellets. If its really cold out and I end up running at a 4 or 5 setting I can see going threw 3 bags a day. This is making me think of getting a hopper extenstion to hold 4 bags at a time.
So am I above average ?
Could it be an adjustment of air that causes you to burn more pellets?
How many pellets do most stove burn per day on a constant run at half or low setting? Maybe to some this is a stupid question but I'm curious what do you burn per Day?

If you are running the stove on 3 you'll only get about 11 or 12
hours out of 1 bag that's 3.5 pounds an hour. You can adjust the
feed with the feed offset. I currently have mine on 2. I would also
highly recommend a thermostat, mine cut my usage way down.

I have the enviro m55 cast fs and I use just over a bag a day right now. Setting 3 sometimes 4 if real cold at night. I am useing thermostat so I dont know if it drops to low at any time during the knight. It gets shut off 6 am and turned back on around 5pm. Based on this I should burn 2 bags a day which I expected since my previous stove(Hudson river saranac) burned 2 a day on setting 3 when burning 24/7. My stove has a adjustable cover over the auger It can be slid up and down to increase or decrease the amount of pellets falling. I think air doesn,t really matter on how much pellets you use. Reguardless of air flow the auger turns at a set rate and that determines how many pellets fall into the hopper. Size of pellets may make a differences on how much falls with each turn of the auger.

Keep in mind everybody has different needs. I see some people run stoves on #1. that would heat the room the stove is in but im looking to heat whole house. Btus make a difference. These stoves are 55,000 btus. some stoves are 40,000, J takeman has a 70,000 btu. they will all eat different amounts of fuel.There was a post by J that had the pounds per hour on each setting. That should give you an idea of what you should be using.

In short, I think your pretty close on usage.

Oh yea
What jhass said also. I forgot about the feed rate adjustment

j-takeman said:
Holy crap! 3 bags a day?

How "hot" is it in your house??????

J
How mant sq feet are you heating.
Im at 2300. anything less than 2 bags a day wont cut it for me.

kykel said:
j-takeman said:
Holy crap! 3 bags a day?

How "hot" is it in your house??????

J
How mant sq feet are you heating.
Im at 2300. anything less than 2 bags a day wont cut it for me.

I was heating close to 2K sqft. I used less than a bag a day. Most I have used in a day is 3 bags but the daytime lows were below zero and night was -25ºF. About 3.5 to 4 tons for the whole season

But with my duct mod, I cut some sqft out. Now I only warm the basement and heat the upstairs. With the temps in the low 30's at night and high 50's during the day. a bag last me 2-3 days. I am guessing when it gets real cold again I will be using closer to 2 bags at max. Should be closer to 3 to 3.5 tons for the whole season. Just enough to keep my pig status ;-).

I have found that different pellets have a huge impact on how many lbs/hrs you really use if left on 24/7 no thermostat.
Feed rate 1 for me is 1.9 lbs/hr....so far I have found Blazers burn 2.7 lbs/hrs and Currans blend at 3.2 lbs/hr.

I also have an cast M55 free standing and I'm burning through less than a bag per day. My home is just under 2K sq ft and very well insulated. My wife is home in the morning and early afternoon and usually has to turn the stove off because the sun does a great job of heating the home during the day.

At night I'm burning on the 2 setting and using the thermostat which drops it to 1 when the desired temp (73 degrees) is reached. I have been burning stove chow and one night I decided to test out the Vermont's that I bought. They put out so much heat that I actually had to lower the heat setting to 1. I believe the outside temperature at the time was in the mid to high 30s.

My advice would be to try a high quality softwood pellet if it fit's in the budget. I definitely plan on buying single bags of different types to test but if the rest of the Vermont's burn like that first bag did I don't see myself making a big purchase of anything else.

PS.. I 110% recommend a digital programmable thermostat.

JBiBBs5 said:
I also have an cast M55 free standing and I'm burning through less than a bag per day. My home is just under 2K sq ft and very well insulated. My wife is home in the morning and early afternoon and usually has to turn the stove off because the sun does a great job of heating the home during the day.

At night I'm burning on the 2 setting and using the thermostat which drops it to 1 when the desired temp (73 degrees) is reached. I have been burning stove chow and one night I decided to test out the Vermont's that I bought. They put out so much heat that I actually had to lower the heat setting to 1. I believe the outside temperature at the time was in the mid to high 30s.

My advice would be to try a high quality softwood pellet if it fit's in the budget. I definitely plan on buying single bags of different types to test but if the rest of the Vermont's burn like that first bag did I don't see myself making a big purchase of anything else.

Are you using the wireless digital they offer? I dont see any instructuion manual online for it. How programmable is it? Daily, 7 day, etc??

JBiBBs5 said:

Yup those Vermont Wood are great....Very little ash....only problem for me is I have to run them on 1 with the higher feed adjustment or they will burn to fast and go out.

cuznvin said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Are you using the wireless digital they offer? I dont see any instructuion manual online for it. How programmable is it? Daily, 7 day, etc??

No, I'm actually using a LUX that I bought at Lowes for $30. It works great.

IHATEPROPANE said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Yup those Vermont Wood are great....Very little ash....only problem for me is I have to run them on 1 with the higher feed adjustment or they will burn to fast and go out.

My Enviro has a setting for premium pellets. I used that and they burned great. I'd also like to try Okie's, wondering if they're as good as the vermonts.

[No, I'm actually using a LUX that I bought at Lowes for $30. It works great.[/quote]

What Lux are you running?? I like the price point of $30 so do you have the model number?

JimmyJ said:
[No, I'm actually using a LUX that I bought at Lowes for $30. It works great.

What Lux are you running?? I like the price point of $30 so do you have the model number?[/quote]

I have the TX1500E. Actually I have two of them because I use another for the forced air. They're worth every penny.

Sorry to take over this but how was the hook up on it? My M55 does not have the plug on the back for the wires so it has to go right through the back to the control panel and I am not really sure how to do that. Hopefully the instructions are pretty straight forward. I am going to try and find this model today.

I have an Enviro M55 Insert in my living room and this is also were we have our TV and spend most of our time (even when the TV is off). The living room is “open†to the hallway leading to our second floor and also to our kitchen. The heating space is about 1200 sq/ft per floor. During the shoulder season, I just run the stove on manual mode and set it at either heat level 1 or 2 depending on the needs to warm the house. At these settings I go through 1 to 1.5 bags per day. Once it really starts getting cold out, I run it in Hi/Low mode and use a programmable T-stat with the High mode turning the stove up to heat level 3. The number of times the T-stat calls for heat is always going to depend on the outside temps, so the usage is going to change as well, but I would say that I use 2-2.5 bags per day in this mode. Having a T-stat hooked up definitely saves on pellet consumption. Running at heat level 3 or higher continuously and you are going to go through your pellet supply in no time.

By the way, running as described above, the downstairs temps are kept around 68-70 and this keeps the upstairs in the 65-68 range. I'm expecting to use about 4.5 to 5 tons of pellets during this years heating season.

jiblane

Every time I read your post I keep trying to wipe that bug off my screen. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.