Enviro M55 insert owners be aware...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1Dtml

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2011
CT
I have the Regency re-brand insert, and I have been noticing changes in flame patterns, and with this not so good burns, but until yesterday I didn't realize why.

I have been cleaning the stove at least three times a week, and following the youtube videos I have been vacuuming out the two ash traps on either side of the burnpot (behind the round covers).

Yesterday I could hear a metallic rattle sound while vacuuming the left side ash trap, so I investigated to find that it was the damper moving around from the vacuum.

So when you vacuum out the left ash trap you may be adjusting the damper without even knowing, so be aware, and careful during cleanings.

I have since adjusted the damper as per manual, and the stove is running better than it ever has before (no the pro installers didn't run the stove or check it with a gauge, for they said it was set at the factory).

I was able to adjust the slider for the damper without taking the stove apart, and I have marked the slider for the optimal position, but my question is, is there a locking nut or screw on the slider like on the Enviro Maxx???

When I do a complete cleaning I would like to lock the slider in position, so I don't have to check every time I vacuum out the ash traps.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

1D

There is no way to lock the damper in place. My M55 damper slides very easily, so when I do a deep cleaning, I usually screw up the location and have to reset it. Wish I would have thought of marking it, I will next time!

I thought they had a lock screw on them? Snap some pictures if you can. Maybe we can figure something out.

The M55 FS steel has a lock screw on it.

Wachusett said:
The M55 FS steel has a lock screw on it.

I have hands on with the steel, But only seen the cast in stores and expo's. Never had a chance to tinker with one. Maybe the damper lock from the steel can be made to work with the cast. Pictures of both would help an old cus though!

there should be a 3/8 self tapping in the centre of the slider that need to be tightened down. The factory used to lock them down, but the last 10 or so stoves we've done they have been lose

skinanbones said:
there should be a 3/8 self tapping in the centre of the slider that need to be tightened down. The factory used to lock them down, but the last 10 or so stoves we've done they have been lose

Very nice, so when I slide it out I'll give a look for it, and lock it down.
Thanks for all the help guys and gals.
FWIW, I wasn't complaining, and with the control panel adjust-ability I was able to keep it running, awesome stove!

1D

Snap a picture and post it here for others that come searching. Worth a 1K words!;-)

skinanbones thanks for confirming there is indeed a lock for them.

If I am on the same page...Here's a picture from the exterior...Seems like no lock down to me!!

IMG_0587.jpg

open up the side panel and about 3 inches from where the exhaust housing is bolted to the stove you should see the lock down bolt in the middle of the slider

skinanbones said:
open up the side panel and about 3 inches from where the exhaust housing is bolted to the stove you should see the lock down bolt in the middle of the slider

Thanks, I will check that out. Seems like they should have made it easier to lock from the exterior.

skinanbones said:

On the insert do we have to pull it out some to lock the slider down, or do we have to remove the skirts and side panels??

Thanks,
1D

There should be a medium where its just tight enough to keep from moving to easy. But still loose enough if you need to adjust. I have never needed to lock one down.

I marked my shaft on the Omega and pull the rod on the damper couple times a month and then set back to the mark. Mine will jam up and require a hassle to get moving if left to take a set and freeze in place. PITA to get moving again. I tweak with the mag gauge as well. But me likes to tinker anyway! YMMV.

j-takeman said:
There should be a medium where its just tight enough to keep from moving to easy. But still loose enough if you need to adjust. I have never needed to lock one down.

I marked my shaft on the Omega and pull the rod on the damper couple times a month and then set back to the mark. Mine will jam up and require a hassle to get moving if left to take a set and freeze in place. PITA to get moving again. I tweak with the mag gauge as well. But me likes to tinker anyway! YMMV.

Thanks Jay, and I already marked it, so now I won't lose where it should be.

1D

j-takeman said:

You know that anti seize you folks with the moving parts in your burn pots always have to use?

Maybe a bit on the damper will stop it from freezing up on you, yes , no, maybe ;-) ?

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

You know that anti seize you folks with the moving parts in your burn pots always have to use?

Maybe a bit on the damper will stop it from freezing up on you, yes , no, maybe ;-) ?

I just might give that a whirl! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.