Enviro M55 or Lopi Yankee Bay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

htom1021

Feb 10, 2011
Hartford, CT
Hello Hearth Members,

I am about to purchase my replacement pellet stove and I've settled on two possibilities (inserts). I took a good look at the Yankee Bay today and liked what I saw/heard --the positives were the 89 pound hopper and the BTU output. Negatives were the daily ash maintenance (I don't like the middle ash plate) and there's not a track system for easy cleaning.

I've not seen the M55 yet, but I've not heard many negatives. I happen to like the track system, controls seems tweak-able (dangerous but I like to tweak), and the 55K BTU (input?).

It was brought to my attention (and from reading posts on this site) that BTU input is rather meaningless. It's all about output. So I'm now questioning the M55's efficiency --bottom line is, I want to burn the fewest pellets while achieving maximum output....55K vs 45K is not important to me. What matters to me is keeping my house warm and spending the least possible amount of money on fuel. My home is approximately 1900 sq ft.

Thanks so much for your input.

Respectfully,

Tom

One of the latest updates to the M55 was to install an adjustable cover on the auger intake(fuel pickup). Because with some fuels they were producing more BTU than the rating. We have several members with the M55 both insert and Freestanding models. So some first hand opinions should follow!

I own the sister stove. The self cleaning burn system is exactly what it says. I only clean my stove once a week. It is also very pellet forgiving and have burned many brands and the stove happily burned them all. I was the picky one wanting the most heat for the buck I can get! Plus the alternate fuels may come into play some day. And I have tried what I can find locally and again it happily burned them too!.

Keep us posted!

Hello htom1021. I have the yankee bay insert for six burning seasons now. This insert has given me no problems whatsoever. I do a quick clean every 3 or 4 days which involves cleaning ash cleaning glass and ash tray. This takes me at most 15 minutes. I also do a thorough clean twice per season including the vent up the fireplace. this takes me approx 1 to 2 hours, as I pull the insert out of the fireplace to get to the combustion and convection blowers. Good luck with whatever stove you choose, but on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the lopi a 9+.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of the feedback --I decided to go with the Lopi Yankee Bay. In fairness to potential Enviro seekers, I really didn't do a lot of research on the M55, as I was certain the Yankee Bay was the right stove for me. It cost me more than I wanted as I had to put a full liner down the chimney. My old Whitfield was installed 15+ years ago with a half liner. So we spent the extra money to get the job right and I couldn't be happier with the result. Stove's been running for a few days and I'm impressed with the performance. I do think I could have installed the liner but I'll get passed that in a few days. I'm burning Cubex pellets...so far same performance as the Whitfield --low ash, good output.

Thanks again for the support.

Tom

htom1021 said:
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of the feedback --I decided to go with the Lopi Yankee Bay. In fairness to potential Enviro seekers, I really didn't do a lot of research on the M55, as I was certain the Yankee Bay was the right stove for me. It cost me more than I wanted as I had to put a full liner down the chimney. My old Whitfield was installed 15+ years ago with a half liner. So we spent the extra money to get the job right and I couldn't be happier with the result. Stove's been running for a few days and I'm impressed with the performance. I do think I could have installed the liner but I'll get passed that in a few days. I'm burning Cubex pellets...so far same performance as the Whitfield --low ash, good output.

Tom
Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling what you paid for installation? I, too, am looking at the Yankee Bay, and I got a quote of $1600 for full installation. 2 story chimney. $3700 for the insert itself.

Thanks,
Jim

JimG said:
htom1021 said:
Gentlemen,

Tom
Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling what you paid for installation? I, too, am looking at the Yankee Bay, and I got a quote of $1600 for full installation. 2 story chimney. $3700 for the insert itself.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim, I purchased the Enviro M55 cast insert from True Value in LaPlata, paid $3,599 for the insert and $499 for installation. 2 story chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.