Enviro m55 or quadrafire sante fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
Well I took everyones advice and did some stove shopping this morning. Wow I found some good deals. The one dealer will sell me a display model m55 that has had about a ton of pellets through it for $2600.00 and another dealer will sell me a sante fe for 1800.00. Both dealers told me to install the venting myself to save some money. So what would you all do. I can also get the classic bay by quadrafire for 2500.00. Thanks for your input, I want to jump on this deal soon since the offers will not be around for long. The only thing that worries me is will the santa fe but undersized for a 1600 sq ft home. But man i love that m55 that cast is gorgeous.

Very nice deals.
If you plan on doing your own install then go on line and download the technical manuals to check out all of the clearance requirements for each stove to compare to where you intend to install. Also check out the venting requirements, and for the best results go with the most or more recommended venting not the easiest.
I would recommend ICC type venting for it has self-sealing gaskets, so less chance of leaks.
I would also talk with your local code authority about the install.
I would plan on installing an Outside air kit as well (OAK).

Good luck
1D

I would go larger than a santa fe, unless you are very very well insulated.

Between those two, M55.

Since it's a display - is it being sold as new with a warranty?

Make sure you get the upgraded blower, auger cover, and whatever else the M55 owners here have all gotten taken care of under warranty.

Santa Fe would be out. Just interms of BTU's. Great stove. Just less HP than the other two.

M-55 is Beautiful and has the HP needed. Also has an agitator and lots of user adjustability.

The CB 1200 is a Solid heater but lacks in bells and whistles. If your looking for a stove thats the easist on the planet to operate (Low, Med, High) and only does On/Off (no High/Low idle function), then this would be a good pick.

I own a CB 1200 and will suggest the M-55. If you have the need to tinker with things and get the most out of it, then the Enviro is the way to go.

If you want Solid heat when the stat nneds it and no nonsense controls? Then Quad.

Since its is a display I did ask about the warranty. The company told me they will give me a full factory warranty. I will have to ask about the upgrades such as the auger motor, blower, and so on and so forth. Dexter I really do not want to to tinker to much with it, so i understand the quadrafire has alot less controls. Something with the m55 and the cast look I love. This is a tough decision. Im going to have to sleep on it, cause i do not want to let this deal pass by. What does the m55 sell for normally brand new out of the box?

Allow me to retort...

I am heating 1973 squares, quite happily, with a freestanding Santa Fe. I am at 7500 ft at the toe of the San Juans in SW Colorado. While this year has been quite average, only dipping to -4f once on my watch on December 6th, I haven't been over medium setting overnight since my inaugural fire December 1, 2011. I maintain at least 72 overnight in the lower level, and a very comfortable sleeping temp in the upstairs bedrooms. Exactly 16 gallons of propane have been used since the same date, and that is to cook only; last year I would estimate 1000 gallons +++ ytd.

I have seen -12-15f in my eight years in this home. If I had to bump to high overnight, it wouldn't hurt a thing. I am currently burning just a fraction over a bag a day.... AND, I was out the door for my '11 Santa Fe for $2100, before venting.

Some say undersized... I say underestimated in my case. I LOVE IT!

Worthy of consideration.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Pics 036.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 036.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 316
Im so upset less then 24 hours was headed back into the stove shop to get the m55 and they sold it. I guess now I will be buying a quadrafire. wow this is upsetting.

Broken Wing,

I purchased a New M55C from a dealer with no expectation of service/install.
Got a great deal on it for not much more than the "used" one you were looking at.

I installed myself.

Bought Venting online at Dynamitebuys.com
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=45

Re-used existing home made hearth.

Not that hard to do and Hearth.com is here to help.
Up to you, but I'd check with your Town and Insurance Co and see if you are allowed to do the work yourself.
You can always pay for a "service check" after the fact to adjust it and make sure you have it installed correctly.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Well another day of pellet stove shopping since i lost the deal on the m55, man am i kicking myself. Well here is the new options, Avalon Arbor, for 2650.00, Quadrafire Classic bay for 2200.00 or a Hearthland for 2400.00. Now the dealer I talked to told me to stay away from quadrafire, he says there nightmares waiting to happen. Every dealer talks about the others brand. I looked into the hearthland looks like a really nice stove. At this point my head hurts and Im ready to walk away for a few months, but its not in me to give up. Also I called another shop, St Croix Afton Bay, and Prescot For around 2300.00. I promise I will not throw any more stove options out there.

It never hurts to keep your options open. ;-)

1D

The price on the Classic Bay is pretty good. Its a great stove. Easy to operate.

But you can only run it 2 ways.

1. On a stat- Temp drops- Stove kicks on / Room warms up to desired temp- Stove kicks off. Pretty simple. Or...

2. Find a sweet spot in a lower setting amd let it run continuously. I found thiz way to work the best. But it has to be cold enough to do so. Shoulder seasons I use the stat. Dead of Winter, run 24/7.

Think mine was like $2,700..

In 3 years after setup, I only use the black auger reset button to start a empty hopper.

IMG_1189_1.jpg

slls said:
In 3 years after setup, I only use the black auger reset button to start a empty hopper.

IMG_1189_1.jpg

Did you mean to put this in Don2222 thread about the reset button?

DexterDay said:
slls said:

IMG_1189_1.jpg

Did you mean to put this in Don2222 thread about the reset button?

No, I was showing the OP how easy it is to run the CB1200. I saw Don,s post later, you already replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.