Enviro M55 Pellet Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbfrost912

Mar 23, 2011
southeastern nh
I'm still new to the pellet burning circuit and have only been burning for about six weeks. So far I am really liking the heat and can heat most of the house no problem.
I have been looking at some of the pellet burning charts and looking at the temps. I have been burning Maine's Choice, LG, and Spruce Pointe to try to figure out which
pellet(s) I want to burn this coming year. I was hoping to be able to do some more testing with other pellets, but the weather is getting warmer and the family just doesn't like the
house at 88' F. So here is what I have found with these pellets:
Spruce Pointe: Very clean and good heat.
LG: Clean and OK heat.
Maines Choice: Very dusty, small pieces, many fines, but hotter than the other two.

I was wondering if the reason the Maine's Choice are burning hotter is because they are burning more at time (because of the smaller size) or if the Spruce Pointe and LG need
more combustion air. All three are on the same setting.
The reason why I ask is beacause I had noticed with other people, the Spruce Pointe was burnning alot hotter.
I feel the Maine's Choice is going to be a high maintenance pellet and would rather clean less and burn more. Has anyone noticed if they have to tweak the softwood pellets more than
the hardwood or mixed pellets.
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks.

PS- I am trying to upload some pics of the install.

When burning softwoods, Most generally like more air. If you were getting dark stains on the window glass? Then you need to bump up the combustion air trim 1 or 2 settings. A dark rich burn usually will burn cooler than a lean burn.

But if the Maine Choice are cheaper than the other 2 brands in your area? Thats a plus if your stove burns them hotter.

Very surprised though, As the MC are now being made from chipped logs. This usually lowers the density(harder to compress chips that saw dust). But the pellet that feeds the most fuel generally gives hotter temps. But size does also effect this. So if the MC are small pieces? There is a good chance they are getting the most volume to the burnpot.

I should be getting some MC(I am also getting some of the Super Premium Geneva brand. Sister to the MC) this weekend, Hopefully there new process(chipped logs) is a winner. I'll also be checking out the MWP and NY NEWP's. And I just got some Great America's today. Running out of time for testing so the crunch is on.

I have tried all 3 and would pick which ever brand is cheapest. Maine's Choice for me was exactly how you described them. I also had the really small pellets almost chips. I think this is why they burn hotter. A little more goes to the burn pot. They burn wicked clean. My burnpot is spotless after a week with them.
Actually the Maine's Choice burned the hottest for me so far.

Thanks for answering.

My pre-order cost for this Spring:
Maine's Choice: $225/ton
Spruce Pointe: $265/ton ($318 pallet)

I'm still trying to see which pellet I am burning more of per day to see which is a better cost.
The problem is that the stove has been off since 1 pm and its still 73' F in here. (69' F upstairs)

Has anybody heard any feedback on NEWP?
I would also like to try the Cubex and the Okenagans.

Thanks again.

frosty said:
Has anybody heard any feedback on NEWP?I would also like to try the Cubex and the Okenagans.

Thanks again.

I have heard they have made strides to get them up to what the NH plant is producing. Supposed to be less than 0.6% ash and much more heat. Brian from BT has 2 bags of the NY NEWP's for me. I'll burn them right after the GAP's(another chipped log pellet) are done.

Call them Okies its easier than spelling Okanagan.

I'm running an M55C Insert. These are my observations:

NEWP - Very dusty and lots of fines. Lots of ash being produced. Getting carbon build up in the burn pot. Good heat, lowest price.
Okanagans - Low fines, not much ash, excellent heat, middle price.
Bearfoots - Medium amount of fines, not much ash, excellent heat, pellets are long and get chomped by the Auger, highest price.

These are the 3 options in pellets that I have within reasonable delivery distances. I'm going to burn mostly Okanagans next season. I still have 1+ tons of NEWP to use up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.