Enviro m55 w/skytech 5301p

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masshoff

Jan 29, 2011
Westminster, MD
Hi all. First post.

We recently purchased and had an Enviro m55 insert installed. We've been using it for about a week and a half and getting to understand it a little better each day.

I bought and installed the Skytech 5301p programmable wireless thermostat today. It's pretty straight forward, but i do have a question about the on/off functions.

Pressing "on" on the remote turns the stove on and it starts doing its thing. But, pressing "off" does not seem to have an immediate effect on the stove - the LEDs on the control panel stay lit and I don't see any immediate action.

Since I'm new to both the appliance type and the remote, i am wondering if this is just how it works or if this seems not right. I am wondering if, if left for a few minutes, the stove would eventually shut off and start it's shutdown process. Or, if there is just some type of incompatibility or malfunction going on.

My gut feeling is that hitting "off" should have a more immediate effect.

Thanks for your help on this weekend with the dealer closed.

Best

M

M,

I'm not a thermostat guy or use a stove with one.

But I assume even if you open the demand contact at the Thermostat the stove has to go through a "cool down" cycle
to ensure all combustibles have left the burnpot.

With a oil or gas furnace the same thing happens. Just that it is much quicker due to the nature of the fuel.

Your stove needs to burn off the burning fuel in the firebox before the combustion and convection blowers shut down.
On my stove this is accomplished by a thermal sensor.

If you shut down a pellet stove (Power fail) you only have natural stack draft to exhaust the combustion gasses.
Under normal circumstances it is better if the combustion fan keeps running until all fire is extinguished.

Hope that makes sense.
Someone (Jay) will probably be along to describe it better :)

Good Luck, Nice stove!

---Nailer---

Welcome Masshoff,

If your talking about the off on the remote? I would say it is this theory. The M55 control has a idle timer when the stat reaches temp or about 30 minutes. So when you hit off on the remote. Your really only telling the controller the stat is made room temp. If you wait about 30 minutes and keep it off the control will shutdown the stove.

Look at the manual for the thermostat information. It discribes this idle period. When stove is set in auto mode. high/low mode the stove will idle and not shutdown. It will resume high when the remote calles for temp.

One thing you need to remember is the remote is just the stat, The controller still is in charge of the stove. Go to the control and put it in manual. hit off button. The stove will go to cooldown(fans on high to clean out the pot and cool down the stove). In about 5 minutes it will go to off once the POF switch is cool enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.