Enviro Maxx High limit sensor tripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Francois

Oct 31, 2014
Levis, Quebec, Canada
Hi,

I'm new here and I had my first pellet stove installed today.

So, in less then 12 hours, I've had my stove stop because of a high limit sensor tripping.

I can restart it manually after some time, but it annoying that it stop and doesn't restart by itself.

The stove is a Enviro Maxx.and the manual states the following:
"6. Light # 4 on Heat output bar flashing The 200 °F ( 93 °C) high limit temperature sensor
has tripped.
• Reset sensor and determine cause. Was it Convection Blower failure or Circuit board control
problems? "

The "Determine cause" is not that easy.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day and a nice weekend

Francois

Might have a bad sensor or room air fan may not be getting the job done due to it not up to speed or something stuck in the airway. How big of fire?
Hope the seller can get you up and running soon.

Might have a bad sensor or room air fan may not be getting the job done due to it not up to speed or something stuck in the airway. How big of fire?
Hope the seller can get you up and running soon.

Fire is between 4 and 7 inch high, clean, no smoke or black.
I have the heat distribution kit which provide two hot air output on the back. Right now, there's no elbow or pipe attached and I was wondering if the air intake was not taking too much hot air from the above outputs. Distance is about maybe 3 feets between intake and outtake.

As for the seller, it won't be until monday.

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the forum.

A little more info - what settings were you using? Read your manual well - it's your new best friend.

Hope you have your new stove surge protected, smoke detectors and CO monitor up and running, fire extinguisher in the stove room but not too close to the stove... want to keep you and your family safe.

Pics of your install or it never happened...

So I take it that you think there may be some heat recirculation and that may be causing the high heat sensor to be tripping? Could be a good guess. We have a slight language difficulty:)

Was an OAK installed? (Outside Air Kit)

No, It's an old house (1949) plenty of fresh air. The OAK is really not needed at this point. Also still have the old chimney that is really drafty.

As for the installation, I will provide picture tomorrow, and for the manual.. yes, I've gone through a few time before buying it and twice since the installation teams is gone.

And, no surge protection but will be installed with a power source in case of power outage, smoke detector installed since 2 years and brand new CO2 monitor (still reading 0 on it).

Last edited:
So I take it that you think there may be some heat recirculation and that may be causing the high heat sensor to be tripping? Could be a good guess. We have a slight language difficulty:)

Yes, sorry for my english, talking about this topic is new for me, so I may not be using the best terms to explain myself. But yes, I'm worried about heat recirculation. As I said, I wil provide installation photo(s) tomorrow and maybe it will help understand why I'm worried about recirculation as my source of problem..

Not sure if you can edit the thread title at this point - if you can add Enviro Maxx to the title other Maxx owners might respond.

You're doing well with the English so far though.... better than my French;lol

Hi, I'm an Enviro Maxx owner - 3 years now. I do not think this is a 'heat recirculation' issue - i'm thinking it takes a really hot stove to trip the high temp sensor. If indeed, it is getting that hot, then atleast the safety mechanisms are working correctly. After reading your post, 'bad sensor' was one of my first thoughts? We need a little more information / detail to troubleshoot this issue though. Is the room / convection fan working correctly after startup? After about 15 minutes / startup - the room / convection fan should automatically start, if it doesn't and the stove is set on a high feed setting (3, 4 or 5) - The stove would eventually get too hot and trip the high limit sensor.

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. Got over 3 tons of pellet to the basement this morning, after that a clogged kitchen sink turned to disaster and a smelly one. Lots of piping do to do tomorow.

Now, here's what's new. I had a technician came to my house this late afternoon (Yeah, really lucky and happy on a saturday). It seems that if you install the heat distribution kit as stated in the manual, you get two sensor on the same line. Now the wiring should be fine, I hope.

I'll follow up tomorow on how everything worked during the night.

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• P1100552 x.jpg
    P1100552 x.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 547
  • P1100557.jpg
    P1100557.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 457
  • P1100559.jpg
    P1100559.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 672
  • P1100560.jpg
    P1100560.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 423
Glad to hear you got a tech out to help you - you were lucky! The manual didn't have instructions on the proper hook-up with the heat distribution? Hope they add an addendum...

The plumbing just had to add to a lousy day...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow, now this is getting interesting! I installed a DYI 'heating distribution' setup to my max, which vents to one 8" ducting that extends upstairs to the 2nd floor. I've been interested in this new Enviro heating distribution addition for a while, but I wasn't aware that it involved additional sensors? Please tell us more....

Wow, now this is getting interesting! I installed a DYI 'heating distribution' setup to my max, which vents to one 8" ducting that extends upstairs to the 2nd floor. I've been interested in this new Enviro heating distribution addition for a while, but I wasn't aware that it involved additional sensors? Please tell us more....

The Heat Distribution Kit is produced by the company Intertek for the enviro Maxx-1. It has three sensors. One high Limit Sensor (220F), one Fan Sensor (120F) and a control sensor (175F). The problem is that the High Limit Sensor of the Maxx was connected to the Control Sensor which is way too low at 175F and the controler board could not make a difference between the Maxx High Limit and HDK High Limit.

The Fan Sensor is used to make the fan run even if the Maxx high limit trip so that the system could cool off.

If anyone is interested, I could scan the installation manual. I tried to find it online, but couldn't get anything.

Good night everyone

Francois

Francois, when you get a chance, please scan and post on the forum. It may save someone the grief you went through ... Thanks!

Francios, I'm just curious as to why you have the HDK pipes pointed towards your rock foundation wall. Is there a room behind the stove?

Francios, I'm just curious as to why you have the HDK pipes pointed towards your rock foundation wall. Is there a room behind the stove?

Really simple. Stove installed on friday by noon, stove stopped two hours later. Why would I install new docks if there's a problem with the stove? I put two temporary elbows on saturday morning to see if it would help with a possible heat recycling problem. And with my drain problem, i'm not sure I'll do any dock work today. Even one of my double sink strainer broke while removing old pipes and I guess I shouldn't trust the second strainer.

But I'll try to bring some warm air this week on the first floor. For the second floor, it's going to be.... lets say, really fun to do...

When I installed my HDK last year it came with a new sensor for the top before I decided to install the new heat sensor the stove would stop.

Attachments

• 20131202_205704_resized.jpg
    20131202_205704_resized.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 939
  • 20131202_205944_resized.jpg
    20131202_205944_resized.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 401
Reactions: Francois
So far so good, the stove didn't stop after 12 hours

Really good to hear that it's working the way it should. Now the ducts ... what kind of heating was in the house before this. No ducting in place already?

From the foundation wall, it looks like the house is fairly old. Any idea when it was built?

Really good to hear that it's working the way it should. Now the ducts ... what kind of heating was in the house before this. No ducting in place already?

From the foundation wall, it looks like the house is fairly old. Any idea when it was built?

No ducts at all, it was all electric heaters except for a little box stove in the basement, which my assurance company did not approved, but it came with the house.

I will install temporary runs for the first floor. For the second floor, I will run ducts at the same time I replace my vent stack and I will also put an extra 3"-4" pipe for electrical cables between floors. But it won't be until next spring/summer.

The house was built in 1949 and it's a stone fondation. I removed over 1 ton of rocks to be able to pour a concrete floor with a 4" pire for drainage and add a retaining wall on the back.

You've done lots of work already... Still more to go but you're heading in the right direction! That stove should make your first floor toasty. Glad to hear you are planning ahead on your renovations...

Reactions: Francois
Status
Not open for further replies.