Enviro Maxx Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajbfire

Nov 28, 2011
grafton, ma
I recently bought a used enviro maxx. It was made in 2007. I have done a lot of reading and am not sure what i should do to get a better burn from my pellets. I have the natures heat brand from Walmart. Gives plenty of heat but they don't seem to burn down all the way and it needs to be constantly cleaned. I am not sure if the blower is operating as it should or if it is the pellets. Opening the damper seems to have no effect on the flame. After a while the pellets begin to overflow the burn pot. Also the air intake port looks like it was never used. it is just a flange on the back wall of stove with no hole in it. Is that normal? Any help would be great?

If the stove is 4 yrs old and its being sold. My guess is a "Dirty" or " plugged" stove..

Did you clean it before installing it? Have you seen the Enviro burn videos on YouTube?

Natures Junk from Wal-Mart are a terrible pellet. IMO. Do a search here on them and also the "Leafblower" trick. Sounds like the stove could use it. Stoves have little passages that go from the firebox to the combustion blower. These passages are more important than anything. Let these plug up with ash and the stove is worthless.

Did the owner seem knowledgeable about the cleaning? Did he insruct you on what and when to do it? Did you see it run before buying?

The convection blower was filled with cat hair. i cleaned and vacuumed any where i could see. The original owner i am pretty confident didnt clean or maintain stove. I bought a new circuit board for it so far so i rather not buy anything expensive again. I have read a lot of the forums and i am wondering if the combustion fan could be clogged a bit. i have looked on you tube at the flame characteristics and my flame definately doesn't seem to be able to have the blow otrch look. i have even adjusted the trim to feed less pellets and no success. What is the best way to clean the combustion fan?

ajbfire said:
The convection blower was filled with cat hair. i cleaned and vacuumed any where i could see. The original owner i am pretty confident didnt clean or maintain stove. I bought a new circuit board for it so far so i rather not buy anything expensive again. I have read a lot of the forums and i am wondering if the combustion fan could be clogged a bit. i have looked on you tube at the flame characteristics and my flame definately doesn't seem to be able to have the blow otrch look. i have even adjusted the trim to feed less pellets and no success. What is the best way to clean the combustion fan?

If there is a gasket between the combustion blower motor mount plate and the cavity it sits in, you need to have a replacement on hand before removing the combustion blower motor/impeller assembly and clean the impeller and the cavity it sits in etc.....

Likely the ash traps are also plugged, do a search on here for leaf blower trick.

Reading through this thread, it sounds like your Maxx just needs a good and thorough cleaning. I would seriously take the entire stove apart and clean every nook & cranny, you can access the combustion blower by removing the back access panel(s), you should also pick up a new combustion blower gasket as well. Head on over to the Enviro website and download / print & read both the owners and technical manual for the Maxx. You may also want to set the air/fuel / damper setting using a magnahelic just so you know it's set correctly, then you can effectively troubleshoot from there.

I've been using Enviro stoves for years, just picked up a Maxx also and couldn't be happier - they really make a solid product. This however, is often the case with used stoves - usually after a good cleaning, little TLC and replace any worn/broken parts that stove should be running like new. What was the reason for replacing the control board?

I replaced the board because after all the troubleshooting and the fans staying on thats what i narrowed it to. I will do some cleaning but i wanted to see if there was anything else that could be the issue. Im hoping the blower is good. What is the ash traps?

ajbfire said:
I replaced the board because after all the troubleshooting and the fans staying on thats what i narrowed it to. I will do some cleaning but i wanted to see if there was anything else that could be the issue. Im hoping the blower is good. What is the ash traps?

An ash trap is where ash settles out of the exhaust air stream, usually on a pellet stove the exhaust gases do all of the main work, the very hot gases exit the firebox by going up through and across the heat exchanger and then straight down and either back up and out by the exhaust blower or out by the exhaust blower. The ash settles out on the way down this where the ash gets trapped, hence the name ash trap. Once these areas get filled the stove has trouble burning well until they get cleaned out.

Some stoves are easy to clean. Others are harder.

Have you read the manual yet? You can easily download the PDF file if you google your stove (Enviro Maxx manual).

I have bought 2 stoves that the previous owner thought they were failing or going bad. But they were just "plugged" up. (Fahrenheit and Englander 25-PDV)

The early maxx units had some issues that where corrected. Post a picture of the air inlet and does it have 3" exhaust?

One place ash would clog the exhaust is right by the exhaust flange inside the blower housing. You will need to remove the blower to get at it. You can view the combustion blower condition by removing the ash pan and opening the damper all the way. If there are chunks stuck to it its best to remove it and clean with a wire brush.

The reason I ask the exhaust size is they found the stove will vent better and has more flow to handle higher ash pellets with the 4" exhaust. They have a kit available. Part #50-2092. Has everything to convert the stove to 4" but you would still need to purchase the 4" vent pipe. I think there is also a high ash burnpot liner available. Both these items will help with the cruddy pellet blues greatly.

The air inlet is not connected to anything. The previous owner was not using so i wasn't sure ir it was needed. The exhaust is 3 inch.

ajbfire said:
I recently bought a used enviro maxx........After a while the pellets begin to overflow the burn pot......

Looks like a classic case of "dirty stove". Previous owner didn't know or care to clean it, and probably blamed the stove for poor heating, etc.....most likely the reason he sold it.

IMO, the stove needs to be taken completely apart (both blowers removed, cleaned, and lubed if possible), all parts of firebox & ash traps cleaned with long brush, vacuum, etc., and if possible a leaf blower treatment after everything is re-assembled...new gaskets needed too.

There's a good chance that that new control board you board was never needed in the first place, unless it was completely dead.

All I can say is there is a reason for all the new units having 4" pipe. I have seen a couple run fine with the 3" pipe but they all had low EVL numbers. What is your vent configuration like?

Most peeps are gonna say clean the sh!+ out of the stove. Its the most cost effective(almost free even). Best bang for the buck and usually fixes the issue.

If your absolutely sure the stove is spotless? The next thing to try is different pellet/fuel. Some good stuff or at least something above average. Name some of the brands around you.

Seeing you don't have an OAK connected, For the heck of it, Open a window and see if it starts burning better!

My stove is in my basement. It is an older house so i am sure it is getting some fresh air down there through cracks. The stove goes up at an angle for 6 feet then 2 feet horizontal to the outside then three feet up. There is no hole in the back of the unit where the air intake flange is. should there be? I have started cleaning and it appear that there is nothing in the combustion fan. I will take some more apart and keep vacuuming.

The plate that is directly behind the burn pot is held in with 2 5/16" screws needs to be removed - this is where the fly ash goes. We have had a couple of service calls because the customers don't remove this plate. Once this area gets packed no air moves around.

Thanks. i haven't removed that plate yet. There did seem to be some build up that i could feel. I just read about EVL and the standard rule of thumb for a number is 15. If the calculations are done and you have higher than that then 4 inch pipe should be used. Does anyone know about EVL calculations and is 15 the number i should be under when calculating length of pipe and bends. I have a T that comes off the stove, then a 45, then 6 feet of pipe, a 90 degree bend, then 2 ft horizontal then a 90 then 3 feet.

You have an EVL of 24' . Way over 15.

90* and Clean-out T = 5'
45* = 2.5'
1 ft of horizontal = 1'
1 ft of Vertical = 1/2'

Your 90*'s and clean-out T alone are 15, add the 2.5' for the 45, then 2 ft for 2 ft horiz, then 4.5' for your total of 9' vert (6' and 3') and you get 24 ft.

Tee is 5
45º is 2.5
90º is 5
1 ft verticle is .5
1ft horizontal is 1

So,

I just read about EVL and the standard rule of thumb for a number is 15. If the calculations are done and you have higher than that then 4 inch pipe should be used. Does anyone know about EVL calculations and is 15 the number i should be under when calculating length of pipe and bends. I have a T that comes off the stove, then a 45, then 6 feet of pipe, a 90 degree bend, then 2 ft horizontal then a 90 then 3 feet.

I get a total of 24. Think this could be your lazy burn issue! I'd say you need the 4" venting and the Enviro kit. Also why so many 90º's?

Edit: dex beat me again! ;-)

The stove pipe comes up from the basement and where it exits the house it is right at ground level so i needed a 90good to go up spme more.

Totally understand. Your install would definitely require the 4" piping.

You can't run the stove due to snow fall with it that close to the ground, But you could disconnect the the last 90º and see if it helps the lazy flame. If it does? You'll see a benefit from the larger pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.