Enviro Maxx-M noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinjk

Dec 3, 2009
Southern Ohio
Has anyone have a similar problem? The agitator will make 2-3 complete rotations & then I will
hear a creeking or groaning sound coming from the agitator. I clean the stove every two days &
make sure to clean the carbon in the burn pot liner. I use the C5-A anti seize grease on the end of the agitator every time it is cleaned. I have not removed the cover to check the chain adjustment. Can anyone think of anything else to check? I have burned almost three tons of
AWF & have cleaned the stove pipes & liner after each ton. This is a great stove & in this mild winter I keep it on #2 or #3 setting. This is my first year with the Maxx-M, previously had a
Englander 25PVDC, great stove but too small for my application.
Thank You

I get the same noise (or did) with my Omega.What it is is carbon build up on the burnpot liner. Mostly around the center. As the agitator moves through that area we hear a groan. Burning on low seems to makes it worse.

Take a look at this thread.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89936/

Wachusett found if you drilled an extra air hole for the M55 it made it much better. I'm not sure what pot liner you have? If its like the M55 its only a one hole mode. My Omega took a few more to make it much better. Post a picture of your burnpot liner so we can see which you'll need to make this more bearable.

Thanks Jay. My liner has slots in it & I scrape it out, then use hot water to flush ou the carbon. You would be surprised

on how much carbon you can remove. Also use a brass brush on a variable speeed drill, that works well. Jay you saved

me a lot of work because I was ready to tear the stove apart & had visions of the agaitor tearing the drive apart. Again Jay

Thank You & I am sure everyone appreciates your input.

Jay, looks like the burn pot mod is working for ya. I have run mine for two weeks before I heard any noise.
The noise now is hardly noticable, almost a faint whistle as the agitator goes by the trouble spot.
Its amazing how something as simple as an extra air hole can make such a difference.

So far so good. I burned a solid week mostly on high/low. It just started to make the groan last night. Nothing like it did before. Center area was clear of carbon. I had to do my weekly clean anyway, so looks like the mission is completed! :)

I still may grab a M55 liner to give it a try. That's why I was asking what the Maxx M had in it. I looked for the Part number and it is 50-2042, which is the same as the M55's. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.