Enviro Maxx-M Pellets in Ash Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinjk

Dec 3, 2009
Southern Ohio
Does anybody know the acceptable amount of raw (unburned) pellets in the ash box is acceptable? In a 24 hour period, I get about a coffee cup full.Just wondering if this is normal.
I assume that they are bouncing off the agitator. They have never caught fire. The stove was
installed in October & runs great. Burning American Wood Fiber pellets. Got a lead on Country
Boy pellets & might be burning them next year. I believe that they are hotter burning pellt.

The only time I see pellets anywhere but the burn pot is if it is full of hardened ash build up and the pellets fall out. This usually happens after about 4-5 bags of Infernos. My manual states there should be no pellets in the ash pan, as they are a hazard. I try to clean up every 3-4 bags to prevent it from happening.

VCBurner said:
The only time I see pellets anywhere but the burn pot is if it is full of hardened ash build up and the pellets fall out. This usually happens after about 4-5 bags of Infernos. My manual states there should be no pellets in the ash pan, as they are a hazard. I try to clean up every 3-4 bags to prevent it from happening.

Chris he likely isn't getting any build up in his burn pot.

I know that j-takeman has added some additional wings on his pot on an Omega.

But the unburned stuff can become a problem both overtime (the ignition point lowers due to continuous exposure to heat) and if partially burned pellets enter the ash pan.

ETA: If it isn't the agitator they bounce off of, you could trim your air down one notch.

Thanks for the info. I just cleaned my stove & removed the unburned pellets. I put them in a jar,
23/8" dia x 21/2" high after 24 hours. I have a magnehelic & will check the air after first hour of operation. We have been having some warm weather in Southern Ohio & every time I shut the stove down, I clean it. I have burned about 60 bags & have run a brush down the 4" liner & stove
pipe going into the liner. Nothing excessive, looked good. One thing that I believe in, when the stove is shut down for the season, I remove the outside air. Can cause rust. The Enviro Maxx-M
one heck of a stove, very satisfied with it. Hats off to Enviro!

Eatonpcat said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
You might want to send j-takeman a PM asking about why he put wings on his burn pot.

He was probably trying to see if it could fly??

Don't think so more likely he would have installed a krooser designed jato pack if that was the case.

Wings so it could fly? No,No, No- Its cause I'm a jay"bird"- all my stuff gets em. :) Wings, well more like extensions were added when I was burning corn. Corn is smaller than pellets so I loist alot of them on fresh starts. Dumped a crap load in the ash pan.

I have seen the M55 and it's burnpot is set farther back into the stove, Closer to the drop chute. SO they don't loose as much as the Omega does there. But they still loose plenty over the side of the burnpot liner on start up. There is a thread here some where! I assumed they also moved the burnpot farther back on the Maxx M. But I haven't seen one to compare yrt.

edwinjk, Can you post some pictures? I need to see how far away from the back your burnpot is. I'll post some pictures of my wings.

To get around this, Before I made my mods. I would pack ash on both sides of the burnpot liner to keep the pellets in when starting. This will keep pellets in and you only need to do it on start ups after cleanings. You still might loose some over the back, Depending on how far it is from the back of the stove.

Jay:
I will get you pictures by Monday. Right now it is 18F here, by Monday we will be @ 45F. Will
clean the stove & be able to take pictures. I am running on #2 setting & the furance fan running
& the house is 72F.
Thank You,
edwinjk

Here's a couple pict's of the modded burn grate. These were taken right after welding. The ears on the bottom that hang into the burnpot liner did the most at keeping the pellets in the burnpot. But they are degrading now and need replacing. I'm starting to get more pellets in the ash pan. So I plan on remaking them from stainless steel. And just bolt them to the side of the burn grate.

Once I make the templet, I'll share it with you.

If I can find the pictures of the proto type. I'll post them too.

Attachments

• Fire Grate 2a.jpg
    Fire Grate 2a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Fire Grate 3a.jpg
    Fire Grate 3a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Fire Grate 1a.jpg
    Fire Grate 1a.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 190
Status
Not open for further replies.