Enviro Maxx or US Stove Co.’s #6041HF (multi fuel)? Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peacockrocks

Nov 5, 2010
Central NY
First, I've read about posting these kinds of questions, researched this site and the vast internet but still need some assistance.

My Basics: in central NY, house was built in 1852, two story, 2600 sq ft, relatively tight. 6 yr old boiler just died so we'll be using this as our primary heat source. Need to make a decision ASAP. Was 54 in the house when I woke up this morning. Brrr!!

Looking for opinions about the Enviro Maxx and US Stove Co.'s #6041HF (multi fuel). Enviro Maxx advertises that it's the most powerful pellet stove on the market, but it comes with a price ($2600). The USSC model we're looking at has good BTU output (53,300) and a decent price. Just can't find many reviews about the Enviro. Looking for any insight or guidance you have to offer.

Also, had a lot of people try to steer us in the direction of coal. Open to that, but worry that it's not as clean as burning pellets.

Thanks!!

Welcome to this great forum.

I am no expert here but have read LOTS of posts and regarding the Enviro it is a great stove, a bit more $$ but you get what you pay for. There are folks here like pelletdude and jay that have the Enviro line and can give you better insights and overall performance about these units

Welcome!

geek I don't sell them I just brag about them. :) hehe But I do help out friends and family alot so I learned a lot. No way its the day job though.

The house is kind of big for the 6041HF unless its pretty tight. The Maxx is big enough and does well with most pellets. The dollar factor is common, But the Maxx is a dealer stove with support. The US Stove is a stove where you will be the support. US Stove will ship parts to you. But if you need a service tech you will probably pay for it. So yes its you get what you pay for. I am not saying the 6041 is bad, Just cheaper for a reason.

Because of the house size, I have to say the maxx. Mostly because your saying its going to be the source of heat for a while. If you do go with the 6041HF. You might want to fix the furnace with the cash you saved! :)

peacockrocks said:
First, I've read about posting these kinds of questions, researched this site and the vast internet but still need some assistance.

My Basics: in central NY, house was built in 1852, two story, 2600 sq ft, relatively tight. 6 yr old boiler just died so we'll be using this as our primary heat source. Need to make a decision ASAP. Was 54 in the house when I woke up this morning. Brrr!!

Looking for opinions about the Enviro Maxx and US Stove Co.'s #6041HF (multi fuel). Enviro Maxx advertises that it's the most powerful pellet stove on the market, but it comes with a price ($2600). The USSC model we're looking at has good BTU output (53,300) and a decent price. Just can't find many reviews about the Enviro. Looking for any insight or guidance you have to offer.

Also, had a lot of people try to steer us in the direction of coal. Open to that, but worry that it's not as clean as burning pellets.

Thanks!!
I have the enviromaxx on 3rd season, love it ! similar situation, 2700sqft, two story, the enviromaxx keeps the
temp up all the house even on cold days of 10degrees. the stove with support down the road is worth the
initial investment. good luck!

Thanks for all the input; it is appreciated!

UncleAnthony: being in southern maine, you know what a cold winter is like. if you're using the maxx to heat your whole house, what do you do about your basement (assuming you have one). now we're stuck trying to decide whether its best to fix the boiler and forego a good pellet stove this year or figure out how to keep the basement warm enough to avoid pipes freezing. being built in the 1800s, it's a field stone basement, but pretty tight and we never had issues with pipes freezing with the boiler (and the house was always kept on the cold side, about 64. seriously).

thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

peacockrocks said:
Thanks for all the input; it is appreciated!

UncleAnthony: being in southern maine, you know what a cold winter is like. if you're using the maxx to heat your whole house, what do you do about your basement (assuming you have one). now we're stuck trying to decide whether its best to fix the boiler and forego a good pellet stove this year or figure out how to keep the basement warm enough to avoid pipes freezing. being built in the 1800s, it's a field stone basement, but pretty tight and we never had issues with pipes freezing with the boiler (and the house was always kept on the cold side, about 64. seriously).

thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

peacockrocks: yes, we know what a cold winter is(!), and yes, we are using the maxx to heat the whole house !
the maxx is a monster stove that will do it, i have only run it on the highest setting a few times when it was (-20) outside , and it did very well, keeping house about 67f-68f if i recall. it is a raised ranch, finished basement,
stove in basement. what i learned from this site, is the walls of the basement should be finished (not concrete)
so as not to soak up the heat.
would field stone soak up the heat(like concrete) in the basement then ? if not so much, then possibly stove in
basement ? we then use a box fan and some cold-air return fans to circulate heat thru house, works pretty well.
i have also read posts on this site that some people have their stoves on 1st floor and force heat down the
basement stairs to heat the basement. don't know how well this works

on another note, what is wrong with the boiler, it is only 6 yrs old ? shouldn't boilers last 25-30 yrs ?
has a service tech looked at it and given you an estimate ? you may want to post on this site and get some
direction on it. i have found the technical knowledge on this site astounding.
anyways, let us know of your progress and wish you luck in your decision.

Get a coal boiler...it is a lot less hassle and way more economical to operate. And get your DHW from it. Big savings there too.

The upfront costs are considerably more but will last 50 years. and pay for itself in short order.

All About Coal

Status
Not open for further replies.