Enviro Maxx Pellet Unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARGlock

Feeling the Heat
Aug 24, 2010
Arkansas
Hello All,

I've got a friend that has a 26' by 60' hight tunnel greenhouse in south Arkansas and we are considering the Enviro Maxx pellet stove (non multifuel) with the 70,000 btus for him. Would anyone have any experience with this unit? Any pros and cons for this greenhouse application? He has a propane unit for backup if there is an issue with the pellet unit.

I'm just learning about heating greenhouses but given the size of this Enviro Maxx, I would think it would not have any problem heating this space.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks,

AR

Since it's a greenhouse, I'm guessing ventilation and how well sealed the greenhouse is would be the biggest issues.

Thanks Cygnus!

Does anyone know how much the Maxx I 70,000 btu unit burns per hour?

AR

Guessing close to 9#/hr. estimating pellets at 8000 btu/hr.

Thanks Smoke Show!! The Maxx looks like a really hefty unit!!

AR

Couple a members have them and also you'll see some with the VistaFlame VF170 which is the cousin to the Maxx. Fuel consumption is estimated at 8.3 pounds per hour. But thats depends on fuel size and density.

I'm guessing they will be using economical pellets to heat this area? Might want to check the Maxx M multifuel unit out while looking at em. Its will handle lower grade fuels much better and requires less daily maintanence than the Maxx. The Maxx M is the sister to my Omega. The Omega eats cheap junk and only needs to be cleaned once a week(can go much longer, But I just try to keep it on a schedule-I have gone 2 months{30 bags easy} without touching it other than adding fuel!). Not to mention it burns other fuels that might be cheapier. Grains and grass pellets might be an option. To me its worth the extra couple a hundred extra cost. Sorry but I had to say it.

When we sold combo heaters to greenhouses in MN we would direct some of the exaust into the greenhouse at night to recoup some of the heat and gain the CO2. Plants loved it. Just switch the exaust an hour or two before working in the unit.

Hi Jtakeman,

Thanks for the info. I really like the idea of the multifuel version but noticed the standard pellet unit had 10,000 more btu and we also have an oak pellet mill just a few miles away. It still may be a better idea to go with the multifuel version. What exactly is different with the insides of the stove? Does the standard pellet Maxx unit have the stirrer fingers? I've never seen a Maxx in person as you can tell.

Thanks,

AR

Hi Jtakeman,

Thanks for the info. I really like the idea of the multifuel version but noticed the standard pellet unit had 10,000 more btu and we also have an oak pellet mill just a few miles away. It still may be a better idea to go with the multifuel version. What exactly is different with the insides of the stove? Does the standard pellet Maxx unit have the stirrer fingers? I've never seen a Maxx in person as you can tell.

Thanks,

AR

No agitator(fingers) on the standard Maxx/VF170 units. Maxx M pellet consumption is 7.6 pounds per hour with pellets. Difference inside is the self cleaning burnpot(agitator) and pressure ignitor for lighting multifuels.

Just trying to save the owner some daily stove fussing,

Hello All,

Would anyone have any experience with this unit?

Greenhouse (26' x 60' = 1,560sq ft)

I bought a Maxx unit last year and heated my whole house (1,500sq ft.) and the thing hardly broke a sweat, worked out great! I don't know the variables involved in heating a greenhouse, but I would think that it would be up for the job and make your plants very happy. I think it's a good design for your purpose, powerful convection blower, plenty of BTUs, no fancy trim or anything like that - very industrial and purposeful. It has a large ash bin and hopper which would cut down on the amount of daily and/or weekly maintenance which comes with owning a pellet stove.

I also agree, as Jay pointed out earlier to look into the Maxx-M version which would give you more options for fuel. Even if you are just gonna burn straight pellets, you would benefit from the agitator of the Maxx-M in that it would lessen the maintenance even more by chewing through any 'clinkers' which could be created by poor quality pellets. If not for the good deal I came upon on my Maxx unit, I probably would've considered spending the extra dough for the multi-fuel version.

Thanks for the great info guys!! I'll try and stear my friend toward the multifuel version for the reasons you all described. The Maxx-M sounds like a really great unit. I wonder what makes it 10,000 btu lower than the Maxx-I version? Must be how the different inerds of the stove operate.

Would there be any better stoves for greenhouse applications and why?

Thanks!!

AR

Hello I do have the Enviro Maxx pellet stove. It is a great stove and heats my 2000sf home with no issues. In the cold of winter in NY only have burn it on #3 out of 5. Heating on number 3 you will burn on the average just over 2 bags a day (depending on setup and size of pellets) I burn good pellets in my stove and can just add pellets for at least 20-30 days without a clean. Stove will hold 3 bags 120lbs. When I brought my stove they did not have the Maxx-M at all. That came out about a year later. The Maxx-m is a great stove also just like Jay (jtakeman) said. I don’t know what size pipe the Maxx-m stove uses but the Maxx uses 4 in pipe. I got a good price for my stove and am very happy with it.

There is also the Harman P61A is also a great stove. This stove get lots of great reviews!

Good luck

Thanks for the great info Oliveone!! I'm learning a lot about the Maxx stoves (2 models). Since we live very near a great pellet mill running oak flooring sawdust, and are considered high quality pellets, I'll tell him he could get by with just the Maxx-1 model. There is about a 260 dollar difference in the models with the Maxx-M being higher.

AR

Does the Maxx-1 and Maxx M have a place to connect an outside air kit?

Thanks!!!

There are many large stoves out there these days, Many more than when I was looking for one. Some dandy furnaces too. Harmans p68/P61, Drotlets ECO-65 and Enerzone Euromax are worth checkin out just to name a few. US stove has a reasonably priced furnace with gobs of BTU's, But they don't seem to be very reliable IMHO.

I have had both and will always recommend multifuel units. The little extra money is worth it IMHO. All it takes is strugglin with a bad batch of fuel to see why. Clinker/high ash just isn't an issue. Happens to even the best pelllet manufacturers. Just takes a bad load of fiber to cause hickups! With the Maxx M all you notice is more ash in the pan!

Yes both units have OAK connections.

Good Morning Jtakeman!!

Thanks for your Wise Advice! You always have a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience to offer folks!! I do see your point and will pass this on to my friend and try and stear him to the multifuel unit. What are the Maxx-M's running in your neck of the woods these days as in dollars?

AR

I haven't checked since last year. But somewhere around $3400(give or take), Would be my guess on the Maxx M and the Maxx was just under $3K last I knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.