Enviro Maxx vs Harman p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jsteiner

Dec 12, 2022
Montana
Hello everyone, new here.. I’m looking at 2 different stoves, the Maxx and the p68.. I live in Montana and this will become my main heat source. Currently using wood, old and tired of messing with it…. I’m about function, not better homes and gardens… whatcha think?

can't go wrong with either so I would go with the one you like the looks of best or the cheaper of the two

I called one of the dealers this morning and asked if someone knowledgeable would be in today because I was trying to decide between the Harman and the enviro.. he told me to buy the one closest to my house. I asked why? And he said for parts.. WTH? He said if your going to buy a pellet stove you will need parts.. hmm… did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

How great is your dependence on the stove for primary heat and stopping the pipes from freezing? Parts can be ordered, but if the next nearest dealer is 60 miles away and the house is cold while you are waiting for a part, then the local dealer makes sense.

It is my main source, not only source.. I guess I need to find out what fails most often on the Harman and the Enviro.. I’m pretty handy and not beyond buying an extra this or that and having on hand… My opinion this far is that Harman May be outsourcing some parts overseas (China).. where as the Canadians are not

The Enviro parts are a little more expensive
I have owned Enviro stoves and serviced them for the last 20 years
I still use my 20-year-old enviro ef3 analog simple stove only ever had
to replace the combustion motor, the bearing went out of it.
I have 8 customer stoves that have been in service 18 years and never have had
a part replaced full tear down cleaning and lub once a year.

Reactions: VintageGal
The Enviro parts are a little more expensive
I have owned Enviro stoves and serviced them for the last 20 years
I still use my 20-year-old enviro ef3 analog simple stove only ever had
to replace the combustion motor, the bearing went out of it.
I have 8 customer stoves that have been in service 18 years and never have had
a part replaced full tear down cleaning and lub once a year.
After my confrontation with the guy that had a very bad attitude I called another enviro dealer.. very pleasant and actually knew the product..... Im sorry to be bothering everyone but to me this is a large purchase and im trying to not buy a Yugo. Anyhow I kinda switched gears to a M55, the Maxx Is probably extreme overkill. This guy told me the M55 is a multi fuel and has dual augers to assist in function, cost is higher as well. He did tell me he just ordered a blower motor for a customer that costs $400.00.. I about sht myself. So, not only am I searching for an American or Canadian made product (preferably) along with quality now I need to do some parts price checking. Its seems the deeper I dig the bigger the hole becomes...... I really hate to think about a Chinese made product... read the reviews on the Englander and was not impressed as well... So at this point I will look at anything anyone has to offer.. Specifically what I seek is heating 2500 sq. ft.... larger hopper is nice but not necessary (i can build if needed). durability and quality a must, it will run at some point Sept. through May.... lol, welcome to Montana. Not to concerned with service, however parts and cost of such are important. Multi burn would be cool but not necessary.... did i leave anything out?..... lol

Just something I have noticed this past while
Harman stove quality and quality control has gone for a sh-- and the wolfs got it
One new Harman owner started the stove to only have a bad noise the auger motor
was not even attached to the stove. Man over 5 grand and the parts aren't attached
What can I say !!

Just something I have noticed this past while
Harman stove quality and quality control has gone for a sh-- and the wolfs got it
One new Harman owner started the stove to only have a bad noise the auger motor
was not even attached to the stove. Man over 5 grand and the parts aren't attached
What can I say !!
Unfortunately you can't rule out transportation/install issue with this (although there would be no real reason to be messing with this...). It is a tough time to manufacture anything here when you have new people on the line every week (not that this makes it acceptable at all).

Hello everyone, new here.. I’m looking at 2 different stoves, the Maxx and the p68.. I live in Montana and this will become my main heat source. Currently using wood, old and tired of messing with it…. I’m about function, not better homes and gardens… whatcha think?
i have had my enviro max since 2010 other than cleaning never replaces any parts ,my thought better to over kill you never stress the stove

DSCN0888.JPG

To my little brain, a bigger stove is what I want
It is easier to dial down the heat from a big stove
then get more heat out of a maxed-out stove
when you need more heat
I have a max in my shop and even at -40 it is
comfortable in that poorly installed 2500 sq. ft
building
Just my nickles worth.

Reactions: VintageGal
I've had a harman p68 for 10 years and I burn 3.5 to 4 tons a year and I've never had a problem and haven't changed any parts.
I clean it periodically and I empty the ash pan and scrape the burn pot

I do find it best to research part costs on Pellet Stoves. If they are not well cared for parts are a definite necessity. I would personally prefer the Maxx over the M55 (Multi) as there are less working parts, so there would be less that could go wrong. The biggest issue with over-sizing the stove though is that NO pellets stove likes to be run on low all the time - it will always be the dirtiest burn level, and would definitely require more attentive maintenance (just my two cents). The multi fuels stoves do work for longer periods between heavier maintenance though. But regardless of what you choose, just be an active user, clean the heck out of that thing as often as you can. If you overdo it early on, you get to have a better idea of what's needed, and what might be able to wait for the next time...

I personally like the Harman. Not much experience with the Enviro. P68 parts are reasonable compared to others. Most expensive part is the Circuit board and it is only about $250. You can replace the board and esp for approx. f$300 and all that is all new controls for the stove. The Enviros I have serviced have a separate proof of fire switch, convection blower switch and hi-limit. Harmans run everything thru the ESP (exhaust sensing probe) which I think simplifies things.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Enviros I have serviced have a separate proof of fire switch, convection blower switch and hi-limit. Harmans run everything thru the ESP (exhaust sensing probe) which I think simplifies things.
I have never had to change a snap switch in an Enviro in 20 years
How many EPS probs have you had to change?

I have never had to change a snap switch in an Enviro in 20 years
How many EPS probs have you had to change?
You have a valid point. If I replace a circuit board I automatically replace the ESP. I like the serviceability better with Harman over the Enviro. Especially the inserts. The rail system makes it quick and easy the service. The Enviro has to be dragged out with the surround ect. Both good units, just depends on what you get comfortable with. I have been servicing Harman for 17 yrs now and kinda like them :)

Reactions: Mt Bob
The newer Enviro's use a common control board, which has to be programed for the stove it goes into, with that said i have a Maxx that in the shoulder seasons i program it for the M55. when it gets to the full burn season i reprogram to Maxx and leave it on #2 setting with a thermostat. shut down every sunday and clean it. Done

Reactions: johneh