Enviro Meridian Lucky Find

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well I had the chance to pick this Meridian up and when I first saw it all dusty and dirty but working good, I fell for it!

Finding the Manufacturer's so called Perl Gray touch up color paint was my first stumbling block. After quite a few days, I found some good fresh "Stove Bright" Charcoal color that matched Perfectly!
See > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ray-paint-at-a-good-price.86502/#post-1116809 It is a very good color!

I had to order a new cleaning rod because the original was missing. That will take a while to get!
Now that I know there is no lock washer in the design, it probably came unscrewed and was lost!
That is called WDS - no Washer in the Design Syndrome similar to WNS - No Nut in the Design Syndrome Seen here https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...ks-found-reason-and-fix-for-0-14-cents.73036/ - Cleaning rod issue.

The ash traps were loaded with pellet ash. See pics > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...od-pellet-stove-ash-traps.86625/#post-1118447

Also gave it the Dollar Bill test and made a nice video doing it!
See > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...r-bill-test-pass-and-fail.86631/#post-1118451

So I gave it the basic cleaning and connected up the venting. The lytherm sheets will be arriving from the west coast late in the day tomorrow. Then I can remove and clean the blowers and it will be ready for final test.

I will have to check:

Start Cycle
Run Cycle
Shutdown Cycle

Operation with T-stat
Hi/Lo
On/Off

Is this stove the same as Vista Flame 100FS Free Standing?
It is the same as the Regency GF55

See pics below
Also I learned that the Meridian and the Regency GF55 are basically the same stove!
Different grills and the Regency is black in color!

As you can see the ash pan is real grungy!
Pic on left is before clean up and touch up.
Pic in Middle is after clean up
Pic on right is Regency GF55 in Local Hearth shop. Only difference is grill and black color!

Attachments

• EnviromeridianBefore (2).jpg
    EnviromeridianBefore (2).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 243
  • EnviroMeridianInShed (1).jpg
    EnviroMeridianInShed (1).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 273
  • EnviroRegency (1).jpg
    EnviroRegency (1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 265
Don...... You need a bigger shed.

A bigger shed and you can start a small Hearth Shop....

!! Dons Pellet Palace! !!

Nice Find...

Hello

Well, The blowers got a good servicing. See pics

Only 2 bolts on the outside of the Convection Blower and it popped right out.
Using a new small attachment tool kit for the 1-1/4" small vac works great!
Also a very small bottle brush I got from a beer brewing supply store in Salem NH! LOL
The label states to oil every 6 months with SAE 20. I use 3 in 1 Oil which is similar.
The oil holes are not easy to identify. Sometimes there are nice yellow caps but in this case there are 2 holes that have a half round cut towards the front and back of the protruding motor case. See pic of oil spout in hole below:

Then the Combustion Blower blades were brushed and scraped underneath with a razor blade. Then I used Firebrick cleaner to dissolve the soot. Works great. Then I really believe in a nice coating of Spray Graphite to help prevent soot buildup in the future!

Now just waiting for the Lytherm Gasket to pop it back in!

Attachments

• MeridianBlower (1).jpg
    MeridianBlower (1).jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 245
  • MeridianBlower (2).jpg
    MeridianBlower (2).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 214
  • MeridianBlower (4).jpg
    MeridianBlower (4).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 243
  • MeridianBlower (6).jpg
    MeridianBlower (6).jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 245
  • MeridianBlower (7).jpg
    MeridianBlower (7).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 248
  • MeridianBlower (8).jpg
    MeridianBlower (8).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 226
  • MeridianBlower (9).jpg
    MeridianBlower (9).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 235
  • MeridianBlower (10).jpg
    MeridianBlower (10).jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 226
Don...... You need a bigger shed.

A bigger shed and you can start a small Hearth Shop....

!! Dons Pellet Palace! !!

Nice Find...

Thanks Kenis

The shed ext to the lot line I built was limited in size to the 100 sqft maximum. :-(

I like the name Don's Pellet Palace though!

Hello

Well I got the Cleaning Rod and NO Nut or Lock Washer! ! No wonder it was missing nothing to hold into the rake to keep the rake from swaying side to side and nothing to keep the rod from coming out of the rake!

NDS = no Nut in the Design Syndrome ! ! !

Well that is fixed. See Pic

Attachments

• CleaningRod.jpg
    CleaningRod.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 193
Hi Joe

I just went thru a Start Cycle, Run Cycle and Shutdown Cycle and that all worked fine.
See pics.

I did get a little Auger noise so maybe lubrication or bushings. I will be testing to check this out.

Would you say it is looking good now?

Attachments

• EnviroMeridianLitUp (1).jpg
    EnviroMeridianLitUp (1).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 220
  • EnviroMeridianLitUp (2).jpg
    EnviroMeridianLitUp (2).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Defiant
Looks great !! Good job Don:cool:

Thanks Joe

The Charcoal color and the cream color iron fire brick with the diamond pattern really make it look Awesome!

Did you test your Ash Pan? Push in, or pull out and see the difference in the Fire?

Also, most newer Enviros have a W/C reading. Dont know if yours is new enough? But you can measure with a Magnehelic gauge and see what your pulling (vacuum/ inches of water)? Then compare that with a new model that may have a #?

Did you test your Ash Pan? Push in, or pull out and see the difference in the Fire?

Also, most newer Enviros have a W/C reading. Dont know if yours is new enough? But you can measure with a Magnehelic gauge and see what your pulling (vacuum/ inches of water)? Then compare that with a new model that may have a #?

Hi Kenis

Not yet, I just fired it up for a few mins for the first time. I will check that the next time. There is a special hole for the Magnehelic gauge for testing. Maybe I can get one sometime. Thanks

Hello Dexter

Well I just tested it again and the ash pan is fine. If I loosen it the flame goes to lazyness and I can smell smoke. When the know is clicked in the fire goes back to a very lively flame.

I lubricated the auger brass bushing with 3-1 Oil and ran the auger on the test cord with no pellets to work it in.
Then I fired it up and the auger is now dead silent! The elephant noise is completely gone!

So it works on manual like a charm! It is so beautiful and cranks out heat with 14 heat tubes like you would not believe!
What a machine!

Wanna trade??? LOL

There is 2 (Yes Two) Harman PC-45's (there corn stove with an agitator) that are 5 yrs old, for $900 ($500 for one and $400 with the other). Both will need new pots and possibly an ignitor. Always a good deal around me. Just never there when I am willing to buy or in the Market.

If you deliver that stove. I will buy you dinner and trade the Quad (all parts) and throw in some pellets. Its only about a 10 hr drive...... ;)

You have a good stove Don. That's one that I would definitely think about replacing your Astoria with. As it does High/Low and On/Off...... My 2 pennies! !!

Hello

Just tried Auto On/Off mode and it works good! I like the 3 position slide switch.

When the T-Stat is satisfied, the control panel drops the heat level to the Lo setting for approx 30 mins and then shuts the stove down. This allows the stove to work on a Manual T-Stat and prevents short cycling.

If it is in a small room you may want to use a lower set point so the room does not get to hot. However this is a large stove putting out 45k BTU and it does crank out the heat! So I would not recommend using it in a small room. LOL

See here for more info
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...rol-panel-slide-switch-or-programmable.86692/

Hello

Well, I just finished the Hi/Lo T-Stat testing.

The heat level light stays at the high setting but the room blower drops as soon as the T-Stat is satisfied.

So I am happy with that. It works well and it is a very good stove!

How does this do for heat output compared to the Astoria?

If I were him. I would swap them. ;)

The Enviro has more options (High/Low and a Well built On/Off system) along with a Great heat exchange system. They are both rated at 45,000 BTU's. So the one that has a better heat exchange/exhaust path, sealed OAK, and better color ;) would win my heart....

I know he bought the Astoria brand new. But that Enviro sells for a Top Dollar price and is only about 2-3 yrs older than his Avalon. (May be closer, if his Avalon was made a year or two before he purchased it)

I wish I had a week off. I would run up and trade you in a heartbeat.

How does this do for heat output compared to the Astoria?

Hello fishwater

Yes, the BTU ratings are the same 45k. However the 4" output vent of the Travis Avalon Astoria is 18" on center from the floor and goes thru a tiled wall that I built. The Enviro Meridian output vent is 3" and 18.5" on center off the floor. So it would be a little tricky to adapt. What do you think?

Astoria output below:

Attachments

• AstoriaOutput.jpg
    AstoriaOutput.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 211
The 3" can be increased to 4" (3"-4" increaser) and then you only need to raise the Enviro 1/2". You can add a 1/2" under your Hearth (cut a piece of plywood or drywall and put under the very bottom of existing Hearth), or cut a slightly larger hole in the back? That thimble will hide a 1/2" larger/taller hole.

I know you paid full price Don. But that stove having the High/Low feature (just that alone, would make me swap) is a definite upgrade. ;)

The 3" can be increased to 4" (3"-4" increaser) and then you only need to raise the Enviro 1/2". You can add a 1/2" under your Hearth (cut a piece of plywood or drywall and put under the very bottom of existing Hearth), or cut a slightly larger hole in the back? That thimble will hide a 1/2" larger/taller hole.

I know you paid full price Don. But that stove having the High/Low feature (just that alone, would make me swap) is a definite upgrade. ;)

No the Enviro is too high by 0.5 inch.

No the Enviro is too high by 0.5 inch.

Re-read....Thats what I said... Raise your Pad or increase size of hole for thimble. 1/2"=0.5 inch in my book?? A 1/2" is a small / minor roadblock... No??

Status
Not open for further replies.