Enviro Meridian - needs perfect conditions for ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warmerwithpellets

Nov 29, 2013
Rhode Island
Hello - I have an Enviro Meridian that will only light if the pellets are dropping into a completely clean burn pot liner. I have switched out the old liner with a new one, but the problem continues. It seems as though the problem is the ignitor can not ignite pellets sitting in any form of ash. I need to clean the liner between every fire for stove to function properly.

I am burning Spruce Pointes, so there isn't a lot of ash, but there is always some. Also, I am running this on a thermostat.

Can anyone provide any insight as to what the problem may be? My initial thoughts were the liner was bad, but since the problem continues, I think the ignitor may be weak and needs a perfect environment for ignition.

Thanks

Does it glow and if it does glow is the area in front of and around it clear?

The igniter heats the air flow going past it and that very hot airflow actually lights the pellets.

Improper air flow will cause ignition to fail.

Sometimes the igniter isn't sitting properly in tube it is contained in or there is ash that has gotten in that tube around the igniter.

This happens to my Meridian also. Usually it's because the burn pot and liner aren't seated right. Push the pot toward the back of the stove, it's amazing how that 1/16 of an inch can make a difference.

If that doesn't work, follow Smokey's suggestions. The ignitor itslef may be the cause as well.

Thank you for the replies. Lots of friendly, helpful folks on this site.

I too thought it was the burnpot and liner not working well together, but after further testing, that does not seem to be the case. It always fails to ignite after a day of burning and I do not clean the liner (liner was not touched after a previous successful ignition).

I have checked the ignitor and it does seem to work properly - to an extent. I have a suspicion that it is weak and can't get past the residue left from a previous fire. Do ignitors die slow deaths or is it a sudden happening?

Igniters can die a slow death, however this isn't normally the case. Disconnect the igniter and take an ohm reading and see if that reading will allow for the proper wattage at 120 volts. Your manual should give you a wattage specification for the igniter.

P (watts) = I (current in amps ) x E (voltage)

I = E / R (resistance in ohms) .

Can you adjust the combustion blower speed? My Maxx will not relite if there is a lot of ash in the pot as well. I did 2 things to fix this. First I enlarged all the holes on the bottom of the burn pot by one size and the ones on the igniter side of the pot. This lets more air in and ash to fall out. I also raised up the combustion blower speed to help it burn all the ash out of pot. Work perfect now little to no ash left in pot..

Status
Not open for further replies.