Enviro Milan Insert Exhaust Fan Maintenance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BARTSFAM

Jan 21, 2009
Central MA
Let me start by saying, I am in no way handy! I rarely take things apart, and put them back together again. Something always goes wrong.
With that being said, I do clean my Milan insert twice a year myself. After seeing pictures of exhaust fans with dust bunnies, I decided to take it apart today.
When I took the blower off of the back of the stove, there was a cottony, insulation material, in between the blower and the stove. When I removed the blower, this substance crumbled into pieces. It was a circular shape and followed the outline of the blower.
Is this stuff insulation, to dampen the sound of the blower? Is it used to make a tight seal between the blower and the stove? If I wanted to buy some more, what exactly is this stuff called? Can you get it at Home Depot, or at a stove shop?

I screwed the blower back onto the stove without a problem. The blower seems to be working fine, but it is missing the insulation type of material.

What was that stuff?

That is actually a gasket to seal the blower to the housing. You might get an air leak or smoke smell with out it. It is also a vibration damper to reduce noise. I have heard some just using high temp silicon to seal it. But I don't recommend that. I would go to a dealer or order the gasket online. I recommend woodheatstoves.com for a replacement and tell him your from hearth.com. He may offer a discount. Owners name is Dave Gualt and is a member here.

This thread has some info on the material if you want to make one yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.