Enviro Mini for 1400 sq ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I have just purchased an Enviro Mini pellet stove for my upsatirs. The total area to be heated by the "Mini" is 1400 sq ft. I know the "Mini" is rated at 30,000 BTU, and the brochure says 1200 sq ft max. I think I'll be fine, (the house is very well insulated, and there is a PE in the basement), but was just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts. I went with the "Mini" due to its small footprint. It is really the only one that will fit within reason were it needs to go. Thanks again.

Congrats on the new purchase! Pictures????? We must see pictures!! :)

Personally I never like to go just enough. I always like a bit of room just in case. But that said you should be OK until very cold weather arrives. That's the only time I wished I had some more stove! But if you have other heating sources its less of an issue. Another thing is make sure you have pellets that produce the most temps in it and save um for the cold! Hamer Hot Ones and the mini get along very well! Don't skimp on the cold weather pellets, The shoulders is where to burn the not so hot brands and save a dime or 2.

Enjoy and keep us posted on the new toy!

j-takeman said:
Congrats on the new purchase! Pictures????? We must see pictures!! :)

Personally I never like to go just enough. I always like a bit of room just in case. But that said you should be OK until very cold weather arrives. That's the only time I wished I had some more stove! But if you have other heating sources its less of an issue. Another thing is make sure you have pellets that produce the most temps in it and save um for the cold! Hamer Hot Ones and the mini get along very well! Don't skimp on the cold weather pellets, The shoulders is where to burn the not so hot brands and save a dime or 2.

Enjoy and keep us posted on the new toy!

I'll post some pics when it's all up and running. It won't be here until the end of next week. I think I'll be alright, even if it is a bit undersized (I've got the PE is the basement as well). Thanks for the pellet info.

I think 1400 sq ft, with a woodstove downstairs, you should be fine... you'll probably find yourself firing up the woodstove downstairs later in the season, and stopping it earlier, now that you have a pellet stove... its so much easier.

I heated my house last winter with a Mini (3 floors - 600 sq ft each - basement not heated). Great little stove. Get a magnehelic and do some fine tuning with draft and heat settings. Too much draft and your heat goes out the pipe.

I did fine tuning by removing draft knob and installing a large nut over the shaft. I reinstalled the knob and put a 1 cent postage stamp on it for reference. eg. x turns from fully seated for heat setting 5 .. x turns for heat setting 3.... x turns for heat setting 1.....

I won't go into details because everyones install will be different. This just worked for me.

Also Infra Red hand held laser thermometer was very useful for determining output of different pellet brands.

The Scientist said:
I heated my house last winter with a Mini (3 floors - 600 sq ft each - basement not heated). Great little stove. Get a magnehelic and do some fine tuning with draft and heat settings. Too much draft and your heat goes out the pipe.

I did fine tuning by removing draft knob and installing a large nut over the shaft. I reinstalled the knob and put a 1 cent postage stamp on it for reference. eg. x turns from fully seated for heat setting 5 .. x turns for heat setting 3.... x turns for heat setting 1.....

I won't go into details because everyones install will be different. This just worked for me.

Also Infra Red hand held laser thermometer was very useful for determining output of different pellet brands.

Living in Candana I think you will be pushing your luck on rally cold nights. Unless you are going to suplament with the central heating system.

hemlock said:
Hello,
I have just purchased an Enviro Mini pellet stove for my upsatirs. The total area to be heated by the "Mini" is 1400 sq ft. I know the "Mini" is rated at 30,000 BTU, and the brochure says 1200 sq ft max. I think I'll be fine, (the house is very well insulated, and there is a PE in the basement), but was just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts. I went with the "Mini" due to its small footprint. It is really the only one that will fit within reason were it needs to go. Thanks again.

you did good. the mini-a is a great little machine. close off one bedroom and your back down to 1200 :lol:

The Scientist said:

if set correctly you should never have to tuck the draft knob. this is why they have combustion trim on the control board. also this is still vary rarely necessary to use unless switching brands of pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.