Enviro Mini hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killayaw

Dec 18, 2010
WV
Hi all,

I just bought an enviro mini, and it comes with a built in metal hearth pad. I am placing this stove on carpet. According to the instructions that's all that is required. I'm wondering if I should use a second hearth pad for the carpet. I'm thinking the metal pad might cut into the carpet.

Does anyone have this stove on carpet? If so, what do you think?

Thanks!

I have a friend that does. He was nervous about it. I told him better to be safer than sorry. So he has his on a hearth pad that he built himself. I actually like it better on the pad as it added some character to the install. Either way it is fine, But if you feel better about it? Nothing in the book says you can't also have a hearth pad. Extra protection is always a saver feeling or piece of mind!

Yes, the hearth pad might cut into the carpet, so my suggestion would be to get an additional pad underneath it. One of those fire resistant pads like these probably would be a good idea....solves the cut carpet issue, and adds protection against burned carpet:

www.northlineexpress.com/category/hearth-rugs.asp

BTW, the owners technical manual for your stove does state: "If the Mini is installed on carpet, the use of a solid material must be used under leveling legs"

Thanks for the replies.

j-takeman:
So he is using the built in metal pad on top of the pad he built? I'm not sure if you use both or not.

imacman:
I assumed that the built in hearth pad would count as the solid material under the leveling legs. I thought the leveling legs were on top of the built in pad, but I am probably mistaken.

I'll likely put the metal pad on top of a larger pad to be safe.

X2 what imacman said regarding the what the manual says about supporting the leveling legs. I bought my mini the first year they came out (late '05), and the manual did not say anything about supporting the leveling legs when installing on carpet. I ran my mini for the first year using the built in hearth pad on the carpet and it worked fine, but I too was nervous about running it that way, so I built a hearth pad.

One issue for me was that I did not want to re-position the wall thimble behind the stove, so I could not raise the height of the stove. I bought a 1/4" piece of cement board and cut the carpet/padding out, fitting the cement board right on the wood flooring. Topped it with ceramic tile. I was just able to get the horizontal pipe through the thimble.

Good luck with the mini.

Carl

killayaw said:
Thanks for the replies.

j-takeman:
So he is using the built in metal pad on top of the pad he built? I'm not sure if you use both or not.

I'll likely put the metal pad on top of a larger pad to be safe.

He has the metal pad on too, So you can use both. But you don't have too. It has the adjustable feet and they sit on the pad he built. The metal pad screws to the base of the stove and is somewhat adjustable because of the leveling(adjustable) feet.

I ordered another hearth pad for it. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.