Enviro Mini - Won't light - Ignitor or circuit board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockcore

Feb 12, 2009
Maine
Good Morning - My Enviro Mini is about 6 or 7 years old. This morning it would not light. I did all of the usual checks, cleaned and vacuumed out the fire box and ignitor and tried again. Nothing. The second time around, I checked deeper and found that the ignitor tube is not glowing and cold to the touch. Tried it a third time and same result or lack of result.

I have found great trouble-shooting info on the forum in the past so I searched the forum and found a mention of someone that replaced the ignitor but the found it was a circuit board issue. Can someone walk me through how I might determine whether this is an ignitor problem or a circuit board issue? Or perhaps there is something else I am over looking??

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

If you have a voltmeter, check and see if you have voltage going to the igniter.

Our Mini wouldn't ignite, ignitor stayed cool during startup. Ordered and replaced ignitor, still cool.
Removed circuit board and found both power amps fried. Replaced circuit board and has worked since. It failed during
a gusty OR coast storm with the power flickering on and off. I suspect it repeatedly went into the ignition cycle after outages
lasting a second or two and fried the SSPA's. Stove is now on an UPS after repairs

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-mini-wont-ignite.86904/#post-1122665

A simple surge protector just does not protect the stove from these ugly winter power conditions. Our APC, UPS tells you of these power events. Surprising how many this winter.

Our Mini wouldn't ignite, ignitor stayed cool during startup. Ordered and replaced ignitor, still cool.
Removed circuit board and found both power amps fried. Replaced circuit board and has worked since. It failed during
a gusty OR coast storm with the power flickering on and off. I suspect it repeatedly went into the ignition cycle after outages
lasting a second or two and fried the SSPA's. Stove is now on an UPS after repairs

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-mini-wont-ignite.86904/#post-1122665

Thank you. I did come across this thread when I searched. can you explain how you determined that both power amps were fried. I operated the stove yesterday and shut it down normally last night. All was well. My stove does not operate on a thermostat. One other thing to add is that the On/off switch is still blinking after I turned it off this morning. Searching the tech manual to see if this is an indicator (like the blinking #2 light).

Thank you. I did come across this thread when I searched. can you explain how you determined that both power amps were fried. I operated the stove yesterday and shut it down normally last night. All was well. My stove does not operate on a thermostat. One other thing to add is that the On/off switch is still blinking after I turned it off this morning. Searching the tech manual to see if this is an indicator (like the blinking #2 light).

Removed the circuit board and the amps were gray flaky ash and the board was discolored and melted where the amps were mounted

Removed the circuit board and the amps were gray flaky ash and the board was discolored and melted where the amps were mounted

That right there is evidence of the magic smoke having escaped. Those electronic doohickys don't work without their magic smoke, y'know.

Good luck,
- Jeff

Well, I removed the circuit board, pulled out the fuses and checked currents and all looked good (nothing gray or flaky). Checked all connections again and decided to try it one last time before ordering parts. Lo and behold, we have ignition! Not sure the solution....perhaps it was the magic smoke. Thanks all for feedback

. .

OK, I am back again. I seem to have an intermittent problem. The stove will not light again. The igniter is not heating up. Taking everything apart and putting it back together didn't work this time. I wonder if someone would be so kind as to walk me through checking the currents with a multimeter. Also the on/off light is blinking and I have check all the manuals to see if this is diagnostic and haven't found anything.

If the igniter is intermittently working, then your problem is not likely to be the igniter itself. Probably the board or wiring.

the other way to check if the ignitor is bad is to use the volt meter and see if you at least have resitance across the ignitor. If you dont the ignitor is dead.

the other way to check if the ignitor is bad is to use the volt meter and see if you at least have resitance across the ignitor. If you dont the ignitor is dead.

Unplug your ignitor and put an ohm meter on the leads. If you read approx 48 ohms the ignitor is good. If you read infinite ohms the ignitor is bad. You can also hook up 120 volts to the leads and see if the ignitor glows. However from what happened here I bet your Ignitor is dead. I recently changed one on a 7 year old Enviro Mini and then it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.