Enviro multifuel burnpot modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wachusett

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
This is a new thread in response to a discussion on scraping the burnpot on the Enviro M55.

started here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89616/

Long story short. The inevitable buildup of carbon on the burnpot drove a little crazy
Crazy enough that I gave it a lobotomy, now we feel much better. %-P

I have run my stove for almost 2 heating seasons. Pellets quality matters to some degree.
Regardless of all the various factors that come into play. I have found that carbon generally
builds up in the burn pot in two places: at the tab in front of the ignitor and the side of the
burn pot towards the front of the stove. Both of these spots have very little air flow.
I believe the ignitor only feeds air to the fire during the ignition process, then nothing after that.

The buildup towards the front of the stove rarely comes in contact with the agitator, because
its higher up on the sidewall of the pot. The spot at the ignitor is lower in the pot so it comes into
contact more often. I have seen a post by Benski (I think) showing the center prong worn down
considerably. I inspected mine and sure enough it is probably 3/16 shorter than the others.
The agitator is not intended to be a carbon scrapper but more to clean ash out of the pot.

I have resolved this problem and was going to post after I was certain it worked.
Well here it goes. This isssue drove me a little crazy, so after much thinking I modified the burn pot
with a single 1/8 hole drilled right through the tab in front of the ignitor. Going on two weeks now,
burning a variety of pellets on high/lo and auto/off. Not a single scrape of the agitator on the this spot.
The additional air prevents pellets from sitting and smoldering in this spot.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 986
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 929
I'll post my original burnpot liner pict's here! Dirty of coarse, So we can see the carbon build up. The "before" shots.

Attachments

• carbon1.jpg
    carbon1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 754
  • carbon2.jpg
    carbon2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 763
  • Bottom ft.jpg
    Bottom ft.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 743
Notice the Omega's burnpot liner is slightly different than the M55's

I'll post my moded picture's here! I decided to do the single hole mod first to see how it does. But if I still get carbon build up I'll add some holes or a slot. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I could find the 1/8 drill bit(mysteriously disapeared) so I used a 7/64 bit for the hole.

Attachments

• hole by igniter tp.jpg
    hole by igniter tp.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 641
  • hole by igniter bt.jpg
    hole by igniter bt.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 634
I was hoping to post pictures of my dirty burnpot. but its been so warm my stove has been pretty much idle. Maybe this weekend???

I'll post my after mod pictures here! ;-)

I did the mod earlier this week, and haven't cleaned her yet, but there has been no grinding noise at all, so it must have worked. :)

1D

5 bags in so far no groaning. I have been keeping it on hi/lo at night as this is the worst case scenario for buildup and when I hear the noise. Also using the worst pellet in the stash. I'll run another 5 or so and remove the burnpot liner and snap some pictures. But sure I would have started hearing some noise by now!

Wachusett, I wonder if we drilled some small holes toward the front area? Doesn't seem to be an issue, But from what I have seen it does build up on the liner there almost as much as the igniter area. I'll know more after more burned fuel, Just trying to stay a step ahead JIC.

I should probably locate the thread for the upgrades to the burnpot grate/liner for pellets going into the ash pan and stiky it.

Attachments

• carbon2a.jpg
    carbon2a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 649
The mod works great, thank you so much.
I've cleaned the pot a couple of times since the mod, and found much less build up with no noise.

1D

Looks good. I get the same buildup in that area in my burn pot. I might just have to try the modification as well.

Thanks for posting all this great information!

Been running the stove since Friday afternoon on hi/lo and Dang, I heard the moan today. Definetly better, Its taking longer and not as load as before. I need to clean tomorrow. I'll snap a picture and see where its still building up. Looks like I need to drill another hole somewhere or make the slot under the igniter.

Reactions: 3650
j-takeman said:
Been running the stove since Friday afternoon on hi/lo and Dang, I heard the moan today. Definetly better, Its taking longer and not as load as before. I need to clean tomorrow. I'll snap a picture and see where its still building up. Looks like I need to drill another hole somewhere or make the slot under the igniter.

Nice to see its working, looks like you may need a larger hole or additional ones in that midlle area where the slot is missing.
That burn pot looks like it has trouble breathing compared to the M55 burn pot.

j-takeman said:
5 bags in so far no groaning. I have been keeping it on hi/lo at night as this is the worst case scenario for buildup and when I hear the noise. Also using the worst pellet in the stash. I'll run another 5 or so and remove the burnpot liner and snap some pictures. But sure I would have started hearing some noise by now!

Wachusett, I wonder if we drilled some small holes toward the front area? Doesn't seem to be an issue, But from what I have seen it does build up on the liner there almost as much as the igniter area. I'll know more after more burned fuel, Just trying to stay a step ahead JIC.

I should probably locate the thread for the upgrades to the burnpot grate/liner for pellets going into the ash pan and stiky it.

That area of my burn pot builds up pretty good, but rarely does the agitator scrape it on mine.

OK, Pulled the liner out and snapped a picture after 8 bags. Auto/off during the day hours and hi/lo at night. Then hi/lo all week end due to the cold spell. Lots of carbon, More than I had with 4 bags of O malleys/30 bags of GT's/5 bags of Power house. 39 total running mostly auto/off. Wish I snapped a picture. Anyway first photo shows the carbon buildup. Yellow area is what I think is where it was rubbing the agitator.

Second photo(2nd mod) is the latest mod. 2 small holes(1/16") near the first one and 3 where the slot should be. This ought to do it(I hope)!

Attachments

• 8 bags.jpg
    8 bags.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 579
  • 2nd mod.jpg
    2nd mod.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 622
j-takeman said:
......Yellow area is what I think is where it was rubbing the agitator.....

Jay, just a thought. I don't know what your agitator looks like, but why not just grind down the ends of the "fingers" a little (1/16"?). Give more clearance.

Maybe I'm missing something here why that can't/shouldn't be done?

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
......Yellow area is what I think is where it was rubbing the agitator.....

Jay, just a thought. I don't know what your agitator looks like, but why not just grind down the ends of the "fingers" a little (1/16"?). Give more clearance.

Maybe I'm missing something here why that can't/shouldn't be done?

The agitator doesn't rub the liner it rubs when the carbon starts to build up. As the build up grows, The agitator rubs on it amking a horrid noise. When you add another air hole it doesn't build up in that spot any more. My liner is really old(first run) and the agitator is the old weldment. If you look at the pic's Wachusett posted. The new ones have far more slots. I'll add some extra holes to get thru this season. Then I might buy a new one next season and maybe a new agitator too!

If I grind down the agitator more. It only allows more and larger carbon growths to form. Just trying to quite this down with shoulder pellets to get through the week to week cleaning schedule.

j-takeman said:
.....The agitator doesn't rub the liner it rubs when the carbon starts to build up......

OK, got ya. Is the pot stainless or regular steel?

Eatonpcat said:
Dumb question...Not something I would normally ask, Anyone know if this would effect my warranty??

I'm afraid it would be yes. Any noticable mod will void it. But you could buy another burnpot and mod that one. ;-)

Mine is all my problem now.

j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:
Dumb question...Not something I would normally ask, Anyone know if this would effect my warranty??

I'm afraid it would be yes. Any noticable mod will void it. But you could buy another burnpot and mod that one. ;-)

And you told me if I bought a multi fueler, I could burn anything with no problems, I have that now.

slls said:
j-takeman said:
Eatonpcat said:

And you told me if I bought a multi fueler, I could burn anything with no problems, I have that now.

You should give them grass pellets a try then! Will see if you can burn anything in your quad! Tell me you don't need to clean the burnpot holes? I owned a quad and I would need to do that couple times a week with curtain pellets.

I can burn anything and have(threads here to prove it too!). Stuff the quad would choke on! Some fuels just produce more carbon to the point I can't go between weekly cleanings without doing a carbon scrap to the burnpot liner. Once tweaked I'll have no issue.

I know you won't believe me, but no, I do pull the dump knob quite often to dump the infamous Energex clinkers.
Don't see them until I empty the ash pan.
I live in a state with 13 million acres of trees, so I just think wood.
The holes that could possibly get plugged are at the base of the slant plate, but never do. I dump often, so no
heavy build up in burn pot.

FWIW, a follow up. Been busy (lazy) this season. I have now run 24 bags thru the stove without cleaning or even opening the door or ash pan.No Imacman your record is not being challenged _g . No moaning or groaning from the agitator. Will be cleaning the stove this weekend for sure. The real cold is around the corner. I will take some pics and update.

Yeah me too, Still wish we were fishin. I have 20 thru mine now and no noise's. Pleased with the mod and glad it was shared. Made a heck of a difference. Last season we started fishing early and I totally neglected the stove. I think it was 38 bags untouched. I left it all summer and didn't clean until fall. Only carbon I saw(shouda took pic's) was on the top front edge that doesn't cause any issues. Pretty sure I could have just filled the stove and hit the go button. But I felt bad and clean her up nice as I should. I'll prolly breakdown this weekend and tidy it up again. Snap a few pic's if I do.

Challenge imacman's record? After 38 bags and the ash pan was only 2/3 to 3/4 full, I think I can, I think I can! Nah, His record is safe with me as well! ::-)

Status
Not open for further replies.