1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Enviro multifuel burnpot modification

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Wachusett, Jan 31, 2012.

  1. Wachusett

    Wachusett Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2010
    Messages:
    259
    Loc:
    Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
    Got ambitous after dinner. Cleaned the stove. First picture is burn pot still in stove with agitator removed. You can see the mod. hole right in the middle still clean. The second is after I removed it, maybe a little clearer. Had a fair amount of buildup on the front side of the pot where there are no holes.
    Simple fix, great results.

    Attached Files:

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. flynfrfun

    flynfrfun Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    703
    Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Watchusett, after seeing your mod, I did the same and then drilled holes centered in between the slots on the front side of the burn pot going out from center towards the ends of the burn pot, if that makes any sense. I think I did a total of 7 holes. One in the middle and then 3 on either side. Made a significant difference in carbon buildup in that part of the burn pot. Flame pattern seems to be the same or even better than before the mod, so the extra air doesn't seem to be a problem. I will take a pic during my Sunday cleaning and post it.
  3. Wachusett

    Wachusett Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2010
    Messages:
    259
    Loc:
    Wachusett Reservoir, MA.
    flyfrfun, I have considered that, may have to do it next cleaning. One thing I am considering and have seen some ideas here, is to modify the pot to keep more pellets in.When the the agitator cycles on any setting there is a huge release of heat, however the agitator IMO cycles to long for just stirring the pot and pushes to many over the edges. I think if the stove could be run on standard and keep the pellets in the pot it would be a better burn and release more heat. It would probably keep the pot cleaner and not need any extra holes drilled. Maybe a slower auger motor or a larger sprocket on the auger. Wish this stove allowed more custom settings.............I know, I know its made for the masses.

    Are you running the new room blower, if so how do you like it. I would love get more air thru the stove, maybe even put a rheostat on the existing blower. New blower is kinda pricey, cannot find aftermarket.
  4. flynfrfun

    flynfrfun Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    703
    Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Yes, I get some pellets over the edge of the pot, but usually it's at startup. If you have your damper set right, there should be enough air so that you end up with mostly ash going over the edge.

    I like the new blower more now that I'm used to it. At first, the extra noise was a major disappointment, but now I'm just enjoying the extra warmth it blows into the room compared to the old blower and the noise on level 3 actually seems better than any other setting (weird). Be careful about hooking the blower to a rheostat because I think that motor may be underpowered. It gets really hot during operation. I actually burned myself on it after giving the stove time to shut down and pull it out (probably 15mins from shutdown). It was that hot even 15 mins later and it's not because of the stove's heat, it's the motor itself generating the heat.

    I do plan on some experiments to hopefully make the new blower quieter. Most of the aggrivating noise from mine is more of a harmonic resonance/barely audible whistle that I think has something to do with the airflow in the squirrel cage. It may be the fins vibrating at super high frequency, or holes in the circular support within the cage that is setting up a whistle. Or it could be extra length of fins that extends beyond the end of the squirrel cage causing it. I'm going to try some packing tape to seal holes in these places and see what happens.

Share This Page