Enviro Omega Ignitor precaution. Check that air pump! Plus Igniter Info added.SAVE$$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
I lost the igniter in my Omega a few weeks ago. I received the new one early this week and finally was going to install it. On the new ignitor there is a warning about not having air flow to the ignitor. I almost ignored the warning. But I decided to check the air pump. Well I guess that's the reason the ignitor bit the dust, Because the air pump is dead. Called in for the warranty claim so now I wait again. No biggie, I am relighting with the propane torch and running on hi/lo until the parts arrive.

So if you loose an ignitor on the Omega or the M55 better check the air pump. I talked to the service guy and he said the new ignitor might have only lasted a few days at max.

Just FYI to the fellow owners.
jay

A stupid question, is it suppose to have air being pumped to it? or not?And how do you check the air pump? I'm getting mine installed next month and just trying to keep up on everything about them, fore warned is fore armed, maybe.

Buck Hunter said:
A stupid question, is it suppose to have air being pumped to it? or not?And how do you check the air pump? I'm getting mine installed next month and just trying to keep up on everything about them, fore warned is fore armed, maybe.

I don't think there are any stupid questions, Unless they are not asked.

Yes it is supposed to have air pumped thru it. The Omega and the M55 have a torch pressure igniter. I would say any stove with this type of pressure igniter has an air pump to blow air thru it and cause the torch effect. Probably multifuel stoves and furnaces.

Before I installed the new igniter, I diconnected the air hose and started the stove with No pellets in the hopper. I held the hose up to my had and felt for the air flow. You could also remove the pump from the stove and wire a lamp cord to it and plug it in. With out the air flow on a pressure ignitor, The igniter will over heat and burn out quickly.

It's amazing how much the stove designs vary - even with the same manufacturer. I have an enviro Mini, and it has the igniter inside a tube that is slightly larger in diameter. That tube rests on the back of the burn pot right over a small hole. (That tube right next to the larger combustion tube). The vacuum from the combustion blower pulls air across the igniter into the burn pot.

I guess on the higher end stoves they added a separate small blower to force air over the igniter.

LI-Mini-Owner said:
It's amazing how much the stove designs vary - even with the same manufacturer. I have an enviro Mini, and it has the igniter inside a tube that is slightly larger in diameter. That tube rests on the back of the burn pot right over a small hole. (That tube right next to the larger combustion tube). The vacuum from the combustion blower pulls air across the igniter into the burn pot.

I guess on the higher end stoves they added a separate small blower to force air over the igniter.

I think Enviro went the pressure route due to the multi fuel feature on this stove and the M55. Corn is a bit harder to ignite compared to pellets. I think harman did the same for the PC45 corn burner, pellet furnace and boiler. Might be other multi fuel stove like the Englander that have it too!

just FYI.
jay

thanks for the input.

the reason for the pump is to insure plenty of air goes past the ignitor and lights the stove fast.
Air in very important for an ignitor to light on all stoves.

If you replace a breckwell ignitor and do not leave it 1/2 back from the end of the tube you will have slow light times.
or if the insulation at the back of the stove is blocking the hole in the tube your fire will not light.

Our quad mt vernon uses the exhaust fan to help light the pellets.

jtakeman said:
.....I would say any stove with this type of pressure igniter has an air pump to blow air thru it and cause the torch effect. Probably multifuel stoves and furnaces......

Yep, my multi-fuel 10-cpm Englander has the air pump too. Needed especially if you're trying to light straight corn.

LI-Mini-Owner said:

Not necessarliy. My Astoria also had the ignitor in the rear of the burn pot, and used incoming burn air to blow heated air into the pellets.

Enviro dealers wants close to $220 for the igniter. Stove parts unlimited wants $218.50 for it and it isn't complete. You would need to reuse the mount's for it. See link

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Enviro_Omega_400W_Coil_Ignitor_p/50-1691.htm

I found this one for $145.00. You also need to reuse the mount's for it. But its the same as stove's unlimiteds replacement. Talk about markup, A bit much no?

http://www.abbeon.com/store/item.cfm?code=HT075

Part number is HT075-400-120-1/8F-NF-X

Which one do you think I am going to buy? Maybe we should start a thread on these after market igniters.

Well, My saga continues! I replace the air pump and igniter only to find out after 2 lights its crapped out again. But this time I have no power at all going to the air pump or the igniter. Seems the control board has another issue. There is a bad relay(little blue cube on the board). I get power to the relay, But nothing coming out. Seems like it cooked the relay contacts. Happened in the self destructing of the igniter and or air pump failure? Not sure. Off to the dealer again. So far Bob at Nichols has been GREAT!

I am also ordering a spare of everything just in case. But I sure hope this cures the issue. Come spring I will need the igniter twice a day at least. I would think enviro would have an in line fuse to protect the board components from issues like this. Void the warrenty or not, I am adding an inline fuse to the ignoter circuit. I see the M55 has inline fuse's for all its components. Maybe on step better? A circuit breaket that will auto reset should do nicely! 4 amps ought to do it. FYI

I have luck, But it seems all bad here lately! :-(

Jay, your situation reminds me of what I've gone through.

Just goes to prove the point that these puppies all can break.

Take care and when you have that puppy apart make certain that the wiring in it is not near things it shouldn't be.

Other than this issue, The stove purr's like a kitten! Never failed to heat the house on any givin day. House was chilly when I got home, But with big heat it recovers real fast if you crank it up! Just this igniter failing that seemed to migrate to everything in the circuit. I will check ever inch of the wire to be sure there is no shorts and touchies.

We will get this! Then I will mod the wiring for better protection. At least the igniter for now.

Just to follow this up and put it to bed. I got my spare board from pelletdude. Ordered it on Tuesday and recieved it on Thursday. Talk about awesome fast service! I found my local parts dealer for sure. My replacement warrenty board is coming in a week or so. I will keep it as a spare.

So I checked the wires like SmokeyTheBear suggested and there were no shorts or rubs anywhere, But I did use a wire insulating wrap just in case. Added my inline fuse to protect the board at the igniter. Installed the new board and WAAHOO she's good to go and lighting like it should. Set the t stat mode to Auto/Off and back to saving some pellets!

Now to isolate the whole board with a fuse bank for each component! Just like the M55 has! I will also order a spare igniter while I am at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.