enviro pellet stove ash buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reneeh947

Jan 31, 2009
northern MD
I have an enviro pellet stove EF3. I have the same problem that many of you are having with big clunkers forming in the burn box every day.Lots of ash is accumulating everywhere, requiring daily cleanout. The air intake slider does not appear to be working, in that it makes no difference in the flame whether its in or out. I don't have a magnehelic guage. Do I need the service person to look into this? It was installed with a horizontal exhaust which some of you swear against. Shoud I change this to vertical exhaust? After about 16 hrs. of use, there is a soot smell in the house. This seems unhealthy. How bad is it to breathe in this soot? Its not a large amount, but after a long time, I'm concerned that the effect can build up. I want to save money on heat, but I don't want to get lung disease. I've been setting the blower speed to max to get more heat in the house, but is this adding to the clunker buildup problem? My oil heat furnace recently wasn't working so I needed to get as much heat out of the pellet stove as possible.

Hello, I have an Empress 2, and I know if is different than yours, but does the flame go up, or down, when you pull the damper out?, and what brand of pellet are you using?I do HVAC for a living, and a magnehilic, is a great tool, and I do re-adjust my draft, based on the pellet I am using...You could buy one on Ebay....a you could look for a Draft gauge, or a pressure differentail gauge, just make sure the tools scale is in the range of draft, or pressure you are trying to test, and my arm has locking collar stops on the shaft, so I can set the high, and low stops....Good luck...

i have a ef3 how often do you clean your stove?rod pulled out about an 1" or 1 1/4" should work fine. on high heat with eastern ember pellets we have here my burn pot would build up not so with lignetic pellets.. 12-.13 is setting with manihelic gage

if you have not change when you change the air rod then you have a problem
Could be any one or more of the following
Door Seal
ashpan seal
Ash traps full of ash
flue full of ash
Combuston blower slow

Read the Sticky threads at the top of the pellet room

Sticky: Tips on if Your pellet stove is burning lazy and or getting smoke in the house

reneeh947 said:
I have an enviro pellet stove EF3. I have the same problem that many of you are having with big clunkers forming in the burn box every day.Lots of ash is accumulating everywhere, requiring daily cleanout. The air intake slider does not appear to be working, in that it makes no difference in the flame whether its in or out. I don't have a magnehelic guage. Do I need the service person to look into this? It was installed with a horizontal exhaust which some of you swear against. Shoud I change this to vertical exhaust? After about 16 hrs. of use, there is a soot smell in the house. This seems unhealthy. How bad is it to breathe in this soot? Its not a large amount, but after a long time, I'm concerned that the effect can build up. I want to save money on heat, but I don't want to get lung disease. I've been setting the blower speed to max to get more heat in the house, but is this adding to the clunker buildup problem? My oil heat furnace recently wasn't working so I needed to get as much heat out of the pellet stove as possible.

HAS this problem been resolved? if so we'd like to read the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.