Enviro vs Vermont Castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Frugal,

You may be right but I just love the way the Vermont Castings Stardance looks.

While we had to wait a bit to get the converstion kit (from propane to gas), it still came.

Now it's the blower switch that has held us up. The stove came with a blower but I did not know that it didn't have a switch. The funny thing is that when I contacted the seller about it, he was surprised. He claimed that the blower worked okay with the remote (my installer claimed that the blower needs the switch to work). Does this make sense?

Last month my Vermont Castings Stardance stove was finally hooked up to the gas. Most importantly, it passed inspection from my city's gas inspector.

My question now is that even though I'm not presently using the stove since it's no longer cold in Boston, the pilot is still lit. Should it remain lit till it gets cold in the Fall?

Please advice me.

This Fall and Winter will be the first cold period when I'll get to test my Vermont Castings Stardance gas stove. Since it started getting cold last month, it's been really helpful and efficient. I can set the thermostat with the remote. This way, the stove comes on only when the room temperature falls below the set setting.

My whole 535 square foot condo is easily heated with this single heater which is in the living room (my only source of heat). The bathroom is the coldest room but the heat eventually gets to the bathroom as well.

My only concern right now is that when I open the stove's 2 doors the rope-like gasket behind the doors seem to be dry and peeling off. But I think it can be easily be replaced, right? And the glue that holds the gasket to the doors should not be hard to locate, right?

Take a small piece to your local hearth shop.
They are the pros & will have what you need.
Normally, tho, the doors on a gas stove are decorative
& any actual gaskets that seal the combustion chamber
are located behind a fixed glass...

Pyro Extraordinaire,

Thanks for that tip. I'll do as you advice.

I'm so glad to have this Vermont Castings stove. The former owner hadly used it. I think the Stardance is VC's best looking model. It's a real improvement over my former Cozy heater. That heater really took up a lot of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.