Enviro Windsor, does anyone have a PDF to the original brochure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrowningBAR said:
How many square feet is the new place and how many square feet is the Windsor rated for?
The place is almost 1600 stove is rated to heat 1600. It should do just fine except it'll burn fuel at a rapid pace in the coldest nights of January(this stove burns up to 4 lbs/hour on high, 1 lb on low.) Once I hook it up to a thermostat, I'll set it on high and let it rip. It'll shut off when up to temp and turn on when the thermostat calls for heat. Right now it is on manual, on the third (of five) settings and the house was at 72 all night with a low of 28 degrees.

raybonz said:
Chris great job on the hearth and the stove looks great! Your family will be nice and warm now :) By the looks of it your boys love it as much as you do! We got a dusting of snow here which is very rare this early.. Thanx for all the info and great posts!

Good luck!

Ray
Ray you would not believe if it wasn't all over the news! We had 22 inches here. It is a bonafied Noereaster that would stand up to any winter snow storm. It'll go down in history with snow storm of May 1977, and the December ice storm of 2008. There are 650,000 people out of power, luckily we didn't lose power, but our old town of Paxton did. Surprising, since we got the most accumulation in the state here in Templeton. I love having this stove going, yesterday was a good day... first fire... everyone was happy and warm.

Thanks again for the replies!

DexterDay said:
Wow... looks great. Love the raised hearth. And x100 on being safer for kids. The glass and a little steel is all that gets hot on most models. The top of mine I could sit on (nothing but hopper underneath)..

May you get many years of enjoyment from that stove. Pellets stoves have a smaller hole needed for the wall and are less invasive than the large hole from a woodstove. So no matter where you move, it can come along..

Fine looking lad you have in the one pic... I only have 2 (10 yr old Son and a 5 month old Daughter) and they are what makes life worth livin. Keep your family warm and congrats again. Been a long time comin from when you made the 1st post about this stove. Good thread, lots of info and links. Enjoy.

Thanks Dexter, for the kind reply and all the advice you've given. You were instrumental in the purchase of this stove. As you can see all the hard work was worth it just in time for our Noreaster. The kids are loving it. Our boys are 11, 10, 8, 5 and five months. The inlaws slept over last night so we can carve pumpkins and do our last fall get together before Thanksgiving. They are equally impressed with the stove. My FIL just recently purchased an Earth Pellet Stove in black enamel and he can't wait to put it in now! He also aqcuired my Defiant Encore cat in blue enamel. He wants to have the wood stove upstairs and the pellet downstairs. Wood stoves are nice during power outages. I for one am happily warm and glad I purchased this stove, it'll be a blessing this winter!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, my FIL brought over a few bags of Maine Woods as a stove warming gift! :lol: They seem to do the job, but I don't know the difference yet. Glass is a bit smokey.

VCBurner said:
DexterDay said:
Wow... looks great. Love the raised hearth. And x100 on being safer for kids. The glass and a little steel is all that gets hot on most models. The top of mine I could sit on (nothing but hopper underneath)..

May you get many years of enjoyment from that stove. Pellets stoves have a smaller hole needed for the wall and are less invasive than the large hole from a woodstove. So no matter where you move, it can come along..

Fine looking lad you have in the one pic... I only have 2 (10 yr old Son and a 5 month old Daughter) and they are what makes life worth livin. Keep your family warm and congrats again. Been a long time comin from when you made the 1st post about this stove. Good thread, lots of info and links. Enjoy.

Thanks Dexter, for the kind reply and all the advice you've given. You were instrumental in the purchase of this stove. As you can see all the hard work was worth it just in time for our Noreaster. The kids are loving it. Our boys are 11, 10, 8, 5 and five months. The inlaws slept over last night oso we can carve pumpkins and do our last fall get together before Thanksgiving. They are equally impressed with the stove. My FIL just recently purchased an Earth Pellet Stove in black enamel and he can't wait to put it in now! He also aqcuired my Defiant Encore cat in blue enamel. He wants to have the wood stove upstairs and the pellet downstairs. Wood stoves are nice during power outages. I for one am happily warm and glad I purchased this stove, it'll be a blessing this winter!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, my FIL brought over a few bags of Maine Woods as a stove warming gift! :lol: They seem to do the job, but I don't know the difference yet. Glass is a bit smokey.

Glad you like it. Also glad "Enviro" (PO) took great care of it. Looks awesome.

Sounds like you have a happy and Warm family. Enjoy....

oldmountvernon said:
Dont know if anyone told you yet, But you forgot the stove pipe hole :)
LMAO! :lol: It took me a while to get it, but it finally sunk in. The installation of the stove was a breeze compared to the building of the hearth. It was so heavy, that my wife was unable to hold one end while bringing it up the basement stairs. I had to lift the thing myself, to get it up the awkward stairs I had to go one step at a time because the head room on the stairs is so low. The thing must weigh over 150 pounds! :ahhh:

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:
Well, you got that up and running just in time. Nice hearth pad. It turned out real nice. How's the heat from that thing and how does it differ in terms of heat and heat movement from the DW you ran?

Pfeew! You said it brother, I was outside screwing off a wall bracket to the pipes while my son held the pipe on the ladder, the snow was coming down hard! Thanks browning, that hearth pad took a long time and effort to make. The heat is amazing, so much of it can be had so easily! Effortless! I can turn it way don to keep it 69 or put it up a couple of notches and get it to 72. The wood stove had a lot more highs and lows and it was a lot more labor intensive. The nice thing about it is you can have intense heat coming from the tubes but the sides are only warm to the touch! The wood stove would be untouchable before it could throw that much heat. It sure is safer for the kids to have around the house. A bit noisy though. Way louder than the blower
on the DW. But the blower on it is a lot more efficient than the Dw as far as air movement.
Looks great! Very nice job with the hearth pad. I agree about the time it took for the hearth pad. Mine took a couple of weeks and the whole rest of the stove and outside venting was done in about a day and a half.

Final assembly while the snow was coming down! :ahhh: I thought I cut it close getting mine running Monday.

I need to make some observations:

The pellets got stuck on the creeces of the hopper on their way down into the shoot overnight. I'm sure this is a common occurrance. Note to self, make sure the hopper is full and shake the pellets down the hopper before going to bed. It's surprising that the hopper is not more rounded in the corners. It created a sort of funnel of pellets gathering on the edges of the hopper and looked like pellet feeding was a bit slowed down by that.

The glass got quite a bit dirty yesterday and it was quite warm here this morning so I shut the stove off while doing snow removal. The 22 inches of snow, (did I say that already?) were quite heavy and took a while to clean up. While cleaning up the glass with a damp cloth and fine ash I found the glass to be lose and the gasket on the glass is about 1.5 inches short at the seam. I'll have to check out how these stoves are supposed to be gasketed, it doesn't seem to have anything holding the glass to the door beside some gasket cemment. My wood stoves had some sort of fastener device. This seems to rely on gasket cemment to do the job? I found quite a bit of ash had started to gather everywhere around the burn pot and even on the door gasket. The cast iron door rattles sometimes also. I wonder if anyone ever tried to come up with solutions to the noise level of these things. Let me know if you have any pointers. I'll report as soon as I find out how to make it quieter. Maybe some high temp silicone around all the metal to metal overlaps around the motors and such...

DonD said:
Looks great! Very nice job with the hearth pad. I agree about the time it took for the hearth pad. Mine took a couple of weeks and the whole rest of the stove and outside venting was done in about a day and a half.

Final assembly while the snow was coming down! :ahhh: I thought I cut it close getting mine running Monday.

Thanks Don, yours looks beautiful also judging from the avatar. I wish I had a more esthetically pleasing location like a corner spot. The beauty of these stoves is how little space they take up compared to the wood stoves. I could never have put a wood stove where my pellet stove is now, the house would have burned down in one night!

VCBurner said:
I'll have to check out how these stoves are supposed to be gasketed, it doesn't seem to have anything holding the glass to the door beside some gasket cemment. My wood stoves had some sort of fastener device. This seems to rely on gasket cemment to do the job? I found quite a bit of ash had started to gather everywhere around the burn pot and even on the door gasket. The cast iron door rattles sometimes also. I wonder if anyone ever tried to come up with solutions to the noise level of these things. Let me know if you have any pointers. I'll report as soon as I find out how to make it quieter. Maybe some high temp silicone around all the metal to metal overlaps around the motors and such...

I just replaced the window gasket in my Windsor - it uses a special dual-bulb gasket which I ended up ordering through my dealer (Enviro part# 50-634). If I remember correctly, I used a small bead of the red high-temp rtv between the gasket and the cast iron door, to adhere the gasket to the door. The gasket itself has a peel-off sticky tape on one side which the glass then gets 'sandwiched' inside. I may have used a couple dabs of rtv in the corners on glass to the gasket as well, either way - it's in there very solid w/no movement or leaks (top of glass has no gasket = air wash).

My Windsor is on season #9. Just had to replace the circuit board to fix a faulty convection fan controller, and added a new ignitor as well - It's looks and runs just like I brought it home from the showroom! I also do have that occasional door rattle/vibration noise, I should check the hinge pins, but just opening the cast door and closing it again usually makes the vibration go away.

So it has been a while since my last post on this thread. Lots of changes have been made and new findings to post. There seems to be quite a bit of ash build up in the burn pot after about 5 bags have been burned. I tried to have the 5' horizontal run and cap combo and it worked out well but the fire goes out due to the high amount of combustion air that is being pumped into the stove. I tried to adjust the slider damper but it was stuck. Has anyone ever tried this procedure before?

The stove was quieter and seemed to work better without the vertical run but I had to put it back in order to be able to run the stove on low. I need a magnahelic pressure gauge in order to set the right pressure in the fire box, it seems to be blowing a bit strong.

VTrider, I've been thinking about taking the gasket off the top of the glass to see if it would stay clean a bit longer. Is that how your stove came originally?

I regasketed the glass onto the door using simple Rutland furnace/gasket cement. A bead on the door and one inside the rope gasket in order to keep the glass attached. Works very well.

I hope all of you are having a great holiday season!

Have you tried different pellets yet? Some pellets have more dense ash that wont get blown out. Or if the pellets have a higher M/C the ash will tend to stay in the pot.

Normally, I would suggest more air to try and eject the ash a little better. But it may be the pellets??

Thanks Ray for the links, hope all is well with you and yours this holiday season!

Thanks DexterD for the input, it could be the pellets but I was looking back at earlier on this thread and this was one of the side effects of going over the recommended EVL, however it does not have lazy flames if anything, it appears too agitated. Also when I took the vertical run off the vent, the fires were getting blown out on the low setting. My goal is to eventually go just horizontal to cap outside, but I want to know that the pressure is at the correct setting and then there's the stuck slider damper to deal with if I need to adjust it. I could not move it last time I tried. Don't know if it will either, seeing as it is an 8yo stove.

VCBurner said:
VTrider, I've been thinking about taking the gasket off the top of the glass to see if it would stay clean a bit longer. Is that how your stove came originally?

I believe the Windsor is designed 'not' to have any gasket material across the top of the glass - mine never did and I've never added any there. From what I gather, this area is for the 'air wash' to help keep the window clean. I would imagine that it would adversely affect the airflow and therefore the burn characteristics of the stove if indeed you did have the top of the window gasketed? So, i'm not sure if your saying that you do have this area gasketed? If so, maybe this is contributing to your issue?

I have mine direct vented, horizontally through the wall maybe 3-4' and never had any issues with fire going out on low. Ironically, i've been thinking about adding a vertical section outside in order to increase the draft, for it will vent back into the room with smoke during a power outage, now i'm wondering if this would cause any issues such as keeping the fire going on a low setting - I would think though that any issue like this could be resolved by adjusting the damper, something which I have never touched.

VTrider said:
VCBurner said:

I believe the Windsor is designed 'not' to have any gasket material across the top of the glass - mine never did and I've never added any there. From what I gather, this area is for the 'air wash' to help keep the window clean. I would imagine that it would adversely affect the airflow and therefore the burn characteristics of the stove if indeed you did have the top of the window gasketed? So, i'm not sure if your saying that you do have this area gasketed? If so, maybe this is contributing to your issue?

I have mine direct vented, horizontally through the wall maybe 3-4' and never had any issues with fire going out on low. Ironically, i've been thinking about adding a vertical section outside in order to increase the draft, for it will vent back into the room with smoke during a power outage, now i'm wondering if this would cause any issues such as keeping the fire going on a low setting - I would think though that any issue like this could be resolved by adjusting the damper, something which I have never touched.

My stove is a 2003 Windsor and also does not have a gasket over the top part of the glass. Confused me at first but I did ask the dealer and they said it was designed that way as part of the "air wash" for the door just as VTrider mentioned. Haven't had to replace mine yet (knock on wood).
Balmy 54* in the Puget Sound region tonight so the stove is taking rest.

VCBurner said:
Thanks Ray for the links, hope all is well with you and yours this holiday season!

Thanks DexterD for the input, it could be the pellets but I was looking back at earlier on this thread and this was one of the side effects of going over the recommended EVL, however it does not have lazy flames if anything, it appears too agitated. Also when I took the vertical run off the vent, the fires were getting blown out on the low setting. My goal is to eventually go just horizontal to cap outside, but I want to know that the pressure is at the correct setting and then there's the stuck slider damper to deal with if I need to adjust it. I could not move it last time I tried. Don't know if it will either, seeing as it is an 8yo stove.

Hi Chris,
Yes, we had a good holiday considering that my wife had an appendectomy a few days before Christmas.. Of course it was an emergency as I have never heard of one that wasn't! I bet your boys had a blast and have been keeping you and your wife busier than usual :) Good luck with the pellet stove issue! BTW how well does it heat your home? How does the cost of running a pellet stove compare to heating with a woodstove?

Ray

VTrider said:

Thank you for bringing up the gasket issue. The stove came to me with a full gasket accross the top from the previous owner. I will adjust that today. I've been thinking about it for a couple of months now, since you first mentioned it. Now there are two of you who have said the same.
Do you have an OAK connected? If you add a vertical run you may not have the issues I have. My fire goes out on low when I take away the vert. run. Check what your EVL value will be with your intended verticle run. Thanks again for the info.

Frogwood said:
My stove is a 2003 Windsor and also does not have a gasket over the top part of the glass. Confused me at first but I did ask the dealer and they said it was designed that way as part of the "air wash" for the door just as VTrider mentioned. Haven't had to replace mine yet (knock on wood).
Balmy 54* in the Puget Sound region tonight so the stove is taking rest.
Thanks for the info Frogwood. Mine is also an '03 and you're the second person to tell me there is no gasket across the top. I'm convinced!
As far as the weather we've been pretty lucky around here so far, last night reached low teens with chills in the single digits though. Wife turned it up to 4 in the middle of the night it was only 66° with the stove on heat level three! I want to buy a really good programmable thermostat and set the stove to high/low.

raybonz said:
Hi Chris,
Yes, we had a good holiday considering that my wife had an appendectomy a few days before Christmas.. Of course it was an emergency as I have never heard of one that wasn't! I bet your boys had a blast and have been keeping you and your wife busier than usual :) Good luck with the pellet stove issue! BTW how well does it heat your home? How does the cost of running a pellet stove compare to heating with a woodstove?

Ray
Hey Ray,
The boys had a great Christmas and are now enjoying all their new gadgets and a well deserved vacation. Our oldest was student of the quarter and is learning to play the clarinet in the school band. The ten y.o. got straight A's and made it to soccer and band allstars. He played his Saxophone very well at the xmas concert a few weeks ago. It was a great joy watching my two older boys play those xmas tunes after only a few short weeks of practice. The eight y.o. also made it to the allstar soccer game and likes his new school. Our five year old was the leading scorer on his kindergarten soccer team and loves going to school. The baby is now 7 months and has grown two bottom teeth!
Thanks for the posts my friend, hope the new year brings you and your family health and happiness!

As far as the stove cost it has not been bad, but as you know the weather has not been in winter mode yet!
My last two years fuel was all free wood so that'll be hard to match. We get our bags for just over $4 each. We will probably be using one to two bags per day in jan. and feb. if the weather finally hits us.

VCBurner said:
VTrider said:
Thank you for bringing up the gasket issue. The stove came to me with a full gasket accross the top from the previous owner. I will adjust that today. I've been thinking about it for a couple of months now, since you first mentioned it. Now there are two of you who have said the same.
Do you have an OAK connected? If you add a vertical run you may not have the issues I have. My fire goes out on low when I take away the vert. run. Check what your EVL value will be with your intended verticle run. Thanks again for the info.

I do not have an OAK, but i've been thinking about adding one for a number of reasons. The stove is located in a small addition with 3 very large windows, sliding glass door and really bad insulation. Although the pellet stove will heat the room no problem, the room is very drafty and I also get ice build-up on the bottom of the sliding glass door - i'm guessing that the stove is just creating negative pressure and sucking in outside cold air from every crack. Hopefully, once I install an OAK it will take care of the draft issue, stove may burn more efficiently and if i'm lucky maybe it won't smoke back into the room when the power goes out!

VTrider said:
I do not have an OAK, but i've been thinking about adding one for a number of reasons. The stove is located in a small addition with 3 very large windows, sliding glass door and really bad insulation. Although the pellet stove will heat the room no problem, the room is very drafty and I also get ice build-up on the bottom of the sliding glass door - i'm guessing that the stove is just creating negative pressure and sucking in outside cold air from every crack. Hopefully, once I install an OAK it will take care of the draft issue, stove may burn more efficiently and if i'm lucky maybe it won't smoke back into the room when the power goes out!
I've heard here on this thread: "if it smokes, you must OAK!"
related to just the issue you're having when the power goes out! In case you're looking for a place to get the air intake pipe, Aubuchon sells 3' sections of two inch flex pipe for $50. I'm sure they would order you a longer piece if you inquire. Ebay probably has someone selling it too. I used two inch EMT conduit wich can be found at any plumbing or electrical supply shop. Although, I would like to try some of the flex pipe in the future, the steel solid pipe rattles sometimes. Flex pipe would be less likely to create noise.

VCBurner said:
VTrider said:
I've heard here on this thread: "if it smokes, you must OAK!"
related to just the issue you're having when the power goes out! In case you're looking for a place to get the air intake pipe, Aubuchon sells 3' sections of two inch flex pipe for $50. I'm sure they would order you a longer piece if you inquire. Ebay probably has someone selling it too. I used two inch EMT conduit wich can be found at any plumbing or electrical supply shop. Although, I would like to try some of the flex pipe in the future, the steel solid pipe rattles sometimes. Flex pipe would be less likely to create noise.

Hey! okay just what I wanted to hear. I've been putting the OAK off because, well quite frankly I've been just trying to figure out what materials to use for a DIY - don't really want to pay extra for a kit, and it's much more fun to do it yourself. Anyway, my stove is very close to the wall and a 3' section of flex would be more than enough - will have to check out Aubuchon (I still haven't figured out what to use for a thimble (inside and outside of house) to dress it up?. Not that I forsee any burnback or hot gasses exiting out of the OAK, I guess it's a possibility - any special concerns (insulation, heat?) when going through wall? Did you have to use any special adapters or 45 degree angles for your metal conduit?

VCBurner said:
I need to make some observations:
The cast iron door rattles sometimes also. I wonder if anyone ever tried to come up with solutions to the noise level of these things. Let me know if you have any pointers. I'll report as soon as I find out how to make it quieter. Maybe some high temp silicone around all the metal to metal overlaps around the motors and such...

The door rattle drove me nuts last year, and the year before. Just had open them a bit for it to stop. Also experienced the joy of hearing the rear access and back grill panels rattle too because a few of the screws got stripped and weren't holding the panels very tight. Found that some high temp tape on the panels and a Campbells soup can wedged between the floor and the back grill stopped some of the shaking. Not pretty, but a good temporary fix until you can tighten things up.

Oh too Funny! My Windsor also has developed that door rattle... as well as that 'panel rattle' you just mentioned.

I haven't figured out the door rattle, not a big deal and only happens once in a while - I just open the outer cast door and close it again and it quiets down, must be something with the hinge pins? I believe my panel rattle has to do also with a stripped screw or two, I actually jammed a penny in between them and boom, problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.