Envoiro M55 blower defect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blower just came in. Dealer coming out tomorrow to install. Already used up a little less than 1/4 tank of oil for the radiant floor heating system. I really want to heat with the pellets. Problem is this winter has not been too cold and it is 52 outside!

Just got back from getting my pellets $240 for a ton. But from what my dealer told me they are not putting the covers on the inserts. I guess Enviro's fix is to install the turbo blower and from what the tells me they the over heating is fixed by doing so. I listened to the insert he had running and the upgraded blower didn't sound to much louder to me. I may even see if he can get me one for my FS.

I hope they get you up and running really love the heat as compared to a furnace. Good luck...

Wingnut13 said:
Just got back from getting my pellets $240 for a ton. But from what my dealer told me they are not putting the covers on the inserts. I guess Enviro's fix is to install the turbo blower and from what the tells me they the over heating is fixed by doing so. I listened to the insert he had running and the upgraded blower didn't sound to much louder to me. I may even see if he can get me one for my FS.

I hope they get you up and running really love the heat as compared to a furnace. Good luck...

Thanks for the update, especially for checking out the sound of the motor.

Wingnut13 said:

This is what I've been saying from the beginning. The adjustable auger plate is a band-aid fix IMHO. The higher output blower keeps the stove temp in check as basically the stove is a radiator. Too little air flowing over it and it will get hotter than Enviro's engineers intended. I have run my insert on heat level 5 for 2hrs with no auger cover plate and the upgraded blower and have not had it overheat. Thats burning some of the hottest Doug Fir pellets available.

New motor installed, stove runs like a champ. Problem now is that it is too warm outside to need to run it. Service rep performed the damper adjustment and I was also able to clean out the exhaust trap in the back. I hope this new motor lasts longer than the old style motor. We did notice that the old motor had a little twist to it, possibly from the heat!

Alright the new motor is much louder than the old. I know that it does push the heat out of the stove faster and the stove seems cooler to the touch than before but it is getting pretty annoying. I have it set to 5, should I just lower this since it seems to push out more heat? Even at 3 it is loud, I mean for crying out loud I installed this in my living room where I watch TV. If it was this loud in the store I wouldn't have purchased this unit!

Really really didn't want to hear that it's that loud especially with mine starting rattle. They don't even list the old style on the Enviro website. Hopefully they'll find a way to get the same air movement without the noise.

Keep on Enviro maybe they'll find a solution for you.

Wingnut13 said:
Really really didn't want to hear that it's that loud especially with mine starting rattle. They don't even list the old style on the Enviro website. Hopefully they'll find a way to get the same air movement without the noise.

Keep on Enviro maybe they'll find a solution for you.

Does anyone know how to contact Enviro? I don't see any contact info on the website. I have only been in contact with the Dealer. And by loud I mean it is almost like being on an airplane with that constant background noise. I wonder if they sell Noise canceling home theater systems??

Just sent a note to Enviro to see if one can still purchase the old style convection blower. Since I put on my homemade auger cover, I have not had a high temp reset fail.....yet. So.... 1st year ending, I figure 1/2 way through year two, my blower will fail and after 7-10 days with no M55 heat, my new turbo blower wii arrive. It will have the ability to heat a 15,000 sq foot. home, only problem is, it's loud! I don't want to go from one of the quietist stoves on the market to one of the loudest. Another OE blower will get me through until Enviro comes out with the correct fix. This is my pan and I'm sticking to it! Bill

J-T
Could you recomend a gauge to set up the stove?
The three of us are going to buy one and setup our stoves.
Thanks
PB

I know since installing my auger cover I have not even come close to an over temp. I don't think I'm even going to try an upgraded blower until they have had more time to test them. Hope they give you some kind of resolution.

Wingnut13. Hi! Can you tell me how much of your open auger space that you had prior is now covered with the auger cover plate? I had approx 6 inches open, exposed to pellets and I covered up about 1/2 of the remaining open space. If I don't burn the VT pellets, usually no overheating, but with the VT pellets I am back to a daily overheat...unless I set the fan to Heat 2, but then I don't get enough heat. My only option now, is to close up more of the auger opening....Bill

2 weeks be prepared. I'm on week 5 waiting I got it covered under warranty. Luckily I orderedit before I had any problems, knock on wood. The thing I get is the top sticks when I run my stove at 3 or higher. Anyone else get that?

I only have about 2 1/2 inches open. When my dealer took it off one of his floor models for me I was able to look at before he took it off and I set it about the same as from the factory. I'm running on level 3 and last night it was in the mid teens here so it ran hard all night and the top of my stove only gets to about 135 degrees. Prior to the cover plate I would hit 170 and overheat.

When my pellets start getting low I'll take a measurement and tell you exactly where I'm set.

Blkjac1224 said:
2 weeks be prepared. I'm on week 5 waiting I got it covered under warranty. Luckily I orderedit before I had any problems, knock on wood. The thing I get is the top sticks when I run my stove at 3 or higher. Anyone else get that?

Yes, I had that problem. What is happening is the front of the sheet metal frame (under the lid) that the hopper lid slides against is just a tad too wide. When the stove is cool, it is small enough to where the lid will close. But when the stove heats up the sheet metal expands and locks the hopper lid into place. I used my dremel to grind away a little of the metal on the sides and no longer have that problem.

Hey Bostonfan I checked my auger cover and I do have 2 1/2 inches open. Did you hear from Enviro yet?

Hey Wingnut13 I talked to the distributor today (781-963-1182) I told them that several folks who have installed the new blower have basically said.....blows fantastic heat but very loud from fan setting 2 and higher. There response was, yes the fan does throw a much larger amount of air, but that they have heard no noise complaints. They said that people with the old blower have actually complained about the noise! They also said that with the new blower you may actually burn less pellets. I wonder what types of sound absorbers/deadners could possibly reduce the noise. One poster has mentioned using "Lytherm" ( not sure what it is yet.....). Bill

I believe it was J-takeman that posted about using a sealant to isolate the motor. Is it the motor making all the noise or is it actual airflow? I had a guy PM me about changes they are making to the new motors and noise level. I would guess that Enviro is not entirely happy with the new blowers yet either. Hopefully they will get something worked out in the very near future

Wingnut13 said:
I believe it was J-takeman that posted about using a sealant to isolate the motor. Is it the motor making all the noise or is it actual airflow? I had a guy PM me about changes they are making to the new motors and noise level. I would guess that Enviro is not entirely happy with the new blowers yet either. Hopefully they will get something worked out in the very near future

It is the air flow that is making the noise. There might be a slight hum to the motor but it is the air flow that is the loudest.

I think a slight adjustment of the angle of the blower fins would help dramatically. I've listened to mine and I'm pretty sure it's not the actual airflow, but rather the fins in the blower are resonating at a high frequency. Also, the motor itself does make an electrical humming noise which is drowned out by the sound of the air.

Flynfrfun, When you say " slight adjustment of the angle of the blower fins" I take it you mean by Enviro....as part of a mod/fix?Bill

Yes, it would be something Enviro would need to investigate with whoever the mfg is of the blower. I do eventually plan on isolating the blower from the stove with some Lytherm material. I'll let you all know if it makes any difference.

Thanks flynfrfun! Please do! It sounds like Enviro might actually be working on a fix. My old style blower works fine (knock on pellets!) and I have burned 2.5 tons. Thanks, Bill

bostonfan49 said:
Thanks flynfrfun! Please do! It sounds like Enviro might actually be working on a fix. My old style blower works fine (knock on pellets!) and I have burned 2.5 tons. Thanks, Bill

Where did you hear that? I need to email them and complain too. The M55 is in competition with the Mt Vernon and the Mt Vernon has the M55 beat on the noise front which is what a lot of people base their decision on. I would have probably went with a Mt Vernon if the M55 was as noisy as it is now when I was looking. But the old blower was nearly silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.