Envrio EF3: Auger Is Struggling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneR34

Sep 19, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
At the end of last season, everything was working great. Now, after I gave it a tear down and cleaning in preparation for this season, I seem to be having problems.

During the first test burn of a couple hours, it worked fine. A day or two later, I had an auger jam during a "get-the-chill-out" run. After clearing the jam, it hasn't been working well...

The auger motor can be plainly heard struggling on each turn and will "squelch" from time to time as if something is ceasing up. It may, or may not, resume normal operation for a while. If it does, it doesn't last.

I'm using the same pellet brand as I did last season (Eastern Embers) and the quality and length appear to be the same. My first thought was a pellet problem, but I don't think so.

Any ideas?

I have a feeling I'm gonna need to call a tech in...

Thanks!

Had a similar problem last year on my empress. I took the auger motor out and took apart the gear box, the grease inside was dried and crunchy. After cleaning it and putting some vaseline in there (it's all i had!) It worked for another year. This year i am putting a little dab of synthetic bearing grease in there. Also a drop or 2 of a light weight oil on the bearings.

After i did this she feed like a champ again.

When i get around to it this weekend i will be taking some pics of the process.

Thanks, Seige.

I gave it another cleaning: Cleaned out the hopper and the auger/shute. Checked the vacuum tube and combustion blower. Started it up again and, so far, it's been running ALMOST normal...I can still hear a difference from time to time, but much better.

If it acts up again, I'll see if I can figure out how to get the motor off and have a look and where to put any oil (or ask my father-in-law..lol..he's the go to guy for these things!). Chances are, though, I'll just have someone come take a look if it gets bad again.

I have no experience with your stove what so ever, that said. Is it possible that the auger drive is a bit off center from where it needs to be and it's merely rubbing. Are the mountings for the motor at all accesable so you might loosen them and push the motor one way or another and test run it to see if the noise is better or worse.

All worked well prior to the cleaning, something's not lined up?

Thanks, Slow-al.

It is possible, but I have my doubts. After I had it all cleaned out today, and the hopper empty, I ran it for a little bit while it was empty. It was normal (at least I think I'm remember that correctly....been a LONG day lol). If that's the case, it's having trouble with the pellets. Which then tells me something is wrong with the motor (As I said, the pellets are identical to last years batch as far as I can tell and remember).

Anyway, yours is a good thought and I'll keep it in mind during further testing.

Shane, since you only had the problem after the pellet jam, have you taken the auger motor out, and opened-up the gear case? Possible broken/partially stripped gears? Gear slipping on the output shaft? Auger slipping on the output shaft?

If you do, and still find nothing wrong, you can still clean it out and re-pack it with synthetic grease.....it wouldn't be a total loss of time, anyway.

Just some thoughts.....

Shane,

Another thing to try if it is like my EF-2 (and I think it is). There is a brass wear bushing on the motor end of the auger shaft. I have had to repair or replace mine a few times. Easy operation and while the back is off and the auger motor is out it affords you a good opportunity to clean and lube it well.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Thanks for the help, guys.

Nailer, how often have you had to replace that? This will be just the 3rd season for this stove, so I'd think they'd last a little longer than that?

macman may be on to something, though. When it was jammed, the auger was not moving an inch although it was trying. It definitely could have striped/broken something.

You guys will make a handyman outta me yet...

Thanks!

ShaneR34 said:
......You guys will make a handyman outta me yet...

Thanks!
:lol: Just remember, most of the time COMMON SENSE is what you need the most in DIY situations......oh, and a good set of tools.

Common sense? What's that? I've been working off 3 hours of sleep the last couple of nights, so common sense is a problem for me right now :lol:

...and that's why I'm not looking at the stove today, and probably why I shouldn't have yesterday. lol

ShaneR34 said:
Common sense? What's that? I've been working off 3 hours of sleep the last couple of nights, so common sense is a problem for me right now :D

...and that's why I'm not looking at the stove today, and probably why I shouldn't have yesterday. lol

Been there, experienced that Shane..... :lol: Take another day if you need to.....it's not burning season yet....oh, wait a minute, I forgot...your up in cold country.....maybe it IS burning time...... :-/

It's almost burning season ;)

Some days/night could use a couple hours burn time from the stove.

It's a high of 15c (59F) today. And the lows for the week are between 1C (33F) and 8C (46F). Hard to believe that less than a month ago we were seriously considering buying an AC for the house :lol:

Shane,

I repaired mine mid-way into last year. That was after 1-1/2 years of 24-7 operation in the heating (Oct-May) season.

In my case. I was getting a slight squeak every time the auger moved. So about once every 5 seconds there was a little chirp and it was driving me nuts.

I pulled the motor off the shaft and pulled out the shaft. The bushing came with it IIRC. I inspected mine and could see some worn in grooves on the face of the bushing.

In the necessity of time I sanded it smooth with #150 grit paper. Since then it has run silent.

I know Rod used to sell the bushing for short $$$ but I'm not sure where to get one now. I would probably just turn one down myself from some brass. They look like an easy machine operation. Any decent machine shop should be able to make one for you for short money.

IIRC the motor is held onto the auger shaft with one square drive set screw. Yours could be loose if your auger isn't moving or is only 1/2 moving. The motor itself is fairly bulletproof as long as it is still running.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.