Envrio EF3 vs EF-IVi ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joebo

Oct 27, 2009
Eastern PA
My wife and I are closing on our first house the 19th of November. Its about 1750sqft ranch with equal size basement. The house is oil/hotwater heat and there was a wood or pellet stove in the basement but the estate took it out prior to sale. The basement is not heated, so either way we will need to put something down there. In the effort of saving money we found two people in the area selling an EF3 and another with an EF-IVi, both meticulously cared for. I could not find any info on the EFIV, but I don't believe its produced anymore. What can I expect in terms of upstairs heat with one of these in the basement? Will it help at all? The location would be right under the bedrooms. Also, would you suggest one model over the other and why??

Thanks, first time poster.

Joe,

I think what you will find to be the consensus in here is that a pellet stove is just a big space heater. They just don't do well heating a 2'nd floor or a 3'rd from the basement. You will be much better off installing a stove in the living area of the house.

I'm not saying it can't be done...just that it takes a whole lot of BTU's to warm 5 sides of a box ( 4 walls and the floor) made from concrete before heat will travel up to the living area. What I hear is that you would be much better off insulating your basement first.

There are mixed feelings (most unfavorable) about ducting warm air up to the living areas from a basement stove.

Wish you the best of luck.

As for stoves. The EF-3 is a great stove with a proven track record. Not sure about the EF-IV.

---Nailer---

the ef4 is a little less heat and smaller
Im not a big fan of the EF4 because of its phase controller and the lack of User friends air control.
the Meridian or Empress is a better choice because of the thermostat option

or if you had the cash one of the new multi fuel enviro units like the omega or the p55

Status
Not open for further replies.