Epa an old stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2016
Frederick md
So i plain to refinsh my nice old stove that came with the house i resintly bought.

First question: will grill paint do the trick? ("2,000°")

Next (see pic) its a big old stove, and i realy like it. So im thinking of ways to bring it in to the 21's century. The "secondary burn" seams to be what sets apart newer stoves apart. Wondering if maybe any one got some good links or tips on bafling, or added intake plumbing?

Ill say sometimes post existing baffle i see spontaneous flames. ("Secondary burn" presumably) wondering if plumbing a bit of a heat exstainger from intake to post baffle is maybe all it would take? Or making a multi chamber baffle would be beneficial? At what point have you gone too far?

Thanks for any replys and (see pic) yes new legs dor the stove will be part of the revamp.

Truble uploading pic's( test)

Attachments

• 20160221_190641.jpg
    20160221_190641.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 190
I thought grill paint was only 1000*, in which case you may have to paint it twice to get the 2000* thing. Or just go with regular stove paint?

Don't waste your time on it. Its a steel plate stove that mostly likely is just bolted to the steel plate in the fireplace opening with no direct connection to the flue. It looks like an exterior fireplace so the combination of no real flue and a cold fireplace means its not going to draft worth a darn and its going to be a creosote producer. If you are "lucky" the creosote will just pile up in the hearth but it also could build up in the flue leading to a chimney fire. Add in the likelihood of poorly dried wood as you appear to be a new stove owner and its an invitation for problems. If you do paint it you really need to remove it from the house as the paint is toxic and even when its dry to the touch you still need to fire it outdoors as otherwise for the first few fires its going to stink and smoke until the paint fully cures. The best thing to do is post it on craigslist for free or cheap and let whoever picks it up haul it out.

My parents had a similar setup and it was PITA to run if you ever let the fire go out. My mom did have some nice roses as the exterior of the fireplace heated up the ground on the outside of the house.

There are far more efficient stoves that would look a lot nicer and if installed properly with an insulated liner to the back of the stove would be far easier to run and less prone to creosote. The one trade off if you may have to extend the stone on the floor out to get the proper clearances from non combustibles.

Another reasons to dump if is it may not be tested stove so your insurance company will most likely not insure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.