EPA approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mban112

Jul 13, 2008
Kansas
I just talked to an installer about installing a Dutchwest Federal Airtight I got for free from a rental property of a buddy. It's the FA 264. Pre Vermont Casting, I believe. The gal said they couldn't install it because it wasn't EPA approved and therefore illegal.

What should I do? Will I never be able to install this stove?

Is she right?

Is there a law in Kansas that say's to operate a stove it has to be EPA approved.
As long as it's tested and listed like by UL there should be no issue that I am aware of.

In Oregon it would be illegal. So long as it (pre-EPA appliance) remains in its original installation, it's OK to burn ("grandfathered"). Remove it from there, then it goes to the scrap heap...can't be reinstalled for use anywhere else. Dunno 'bout Kansas. Rick

The same model (FA264), through vermont castings, IS EPA ceritifed. Aren't they the same parts and essentially the same stove.

It is a cat stove so it should have passed EPA certification.

The problem may be that VC bought Consolidated Dutchwest in 1985 and EPA testing didn't come about until 1988 therefore CDW never had stoves tested.

You might be able to go here Kansas info and ask some questions to see what is required for an install.

Check in with both your insurance agent and local building inspector - you probably want more info on their requirements for stove install than just state law, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.