Epa certification?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tara

Sep 8, 2013
Southern Oregon
Can you install a Earth Stove that is not EPA certified? Will insurance companies insure it? It's from the 80's and we can't figure out if it's certified or not... This picture is all that I have.Thanks!

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpg
    mail.google.com.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 152
Welcome to the site Tara! That is a good relavent question, I'm sure someone on here can point you in the right direction, but it may be more of a "location" factor. Local codes may dictate that you NEED the certification, whilst you insurance company may NOT NEED it......or vice versa.

Have you done any internet research on you particular stove?

yep, the list I shared above has the Lennox Earth Stove model 1002 listed as being EPA certified.....

Insurance only cares about UL listing and installation according the clearances specified by the lab. They don't care anything about EPA emissions certification. Lots of localities do not allow anything but EPA certified stoves to be installed though.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks guys! My only question now is I see the c-1002 on that list but not the 1002-0 or the 1002HT which is what ours is labeled as.... Is this still okay?

My husband has done quite a bit of research and this is the only thing that's worrying us. Also I have a picture of the other label if you would like to see that as well.

I didn't see that site! Thank you so much, took a big weight off of our shoulders. We were heating with a kerosene heater last winter but broke mid winter and we had to use 3 space heaters, 400 bucks a month yay! We only have about a month until it gets cold so we're trying to get this squared away in the next week or two. Thanks for you help guys!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Appears that you are in Oregon. The Earth Stove 1002-0 ES02 is on the current Oregon DEQ list as qualified for installation in the state.

http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/burning/woodstoves/DEQcertifiedStoves.pdf

you beat me to it, BTW also, Omni labs is a UL listed testing agency so the unit should carry a UL 1482 listing. with this and BB's findings you should be GTG. if you have no luck, gimme a yell and i'll see if i can get you a contact number at Omni (they do testing for us as well)

OH and welcome to the hearth, you wont find a better bunch of people no matter how hard you may try (after meeting BB that is) ;)

you beat me to it, BTW also, Omni labs is a UL listed testing agency so the unit should carry a UL 1482 listing. with this and BB's findings you should be GTG. if you have no luck, gimme a yell and i'll see if i can get you a contact number at Omni (they do testing for us as well)

OH and welcome to the hearth, you wont find a better bunch of people no matter how hard you may try (after meeting BB that is) ;)

Thanks so much! My husband also wanted to know since we can't find anything about it, but can we just tile our floor and place the stove on it? Or does it have to be an actual hearth with the fire rated stuff and an air gap? He also read somewhere that a UL listing can expire if it's more than 20 years old, and that it should be treated as unlisted, is this true?

I didn't see that site! Thank you so much, took a big weight off of our shoulders. We were heating with a kerosene heater last winter but broke mid winter and we had to use 3 space heaters, 400 bucks a month yay! We only have about a month until it gets cold so we're trying to get this squared away in the next week or two. Thanks for you help guys!
Thanks so much! My husband also wanted to know since we can't find anything about it, but can we just tile our floor and place the stove on it? Or does it have to be an actual hearth with the fire rated stuff and an air gap? He also read somewhere that a UL listing can expire if it's more than 20 years old, and that it should be treated as unlisted, is this true?

this may fall back on the 211 if there's not a :listing" available you may have to go to the "NFPA 211" i may need to see about getting you in contact with Omni. of rstarters you may get somewhere with this , though i dont know for certain (its sunday and im at home not at work) http://www.omni-test.com/contact_us.html supply model number and MFG date, maybe someone will look it up for you.if not , you can go to the "unlisted" spec's found here http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product...clid=CLqe8bjfvLkCFVFp7AodIwwAjw&cookie_test=1

just follow the prompts to the "realread" version online, you cannot copy the book so you have to read them off the screen and write them down. but worst case scenario ,you can use the floor protection described in this reg for any woodstove

Omni tests to UL standards but since UL didn't do the testing it would never have been in their listing directory or had a conformance expiration date anyway. What UL specification tests gives wood stoves is clearance specification. Only way those change is when a car crusher makes a ball of scrap out of them at the junkyard.

Omni tests to UL standards but since UL didn't do the testing it would never have been in their listing directory or had a conformance expiration date anyway. What UL specification tests gives wood stoves is clearance specification. Only way those change is when a car crusher makes a ball of scrap out of them at the junkyard.

OMNI like Intertek is licensed by UL to test to the standards they set. so its recognised as "UL listed" as if UL did it themselves (which they do not do) UL sets the standards, the agencies test to them. and its a bit more involved than just setting clearances, they also have requirements for the spec's on glass, and how its retained, electronics shock hazards and pinch hazards from moving parts (not as big a deal on wood , but matters on pellet and such. its relatively complex)

OMNI like Intertek is licensed by UL to test to the standards they set. so its recognised as "UL listed" as if UL did it themselves (which they do not do) UL sets the standards, the agencies test to them. and its a bit more involved than just setting clearances, they also have requirements for the spec's on glass, and how its retained, electronics shock hazards and pinch hazards from moving parts (not as big a deal on wood , but matters on pellet and such. its relatively complex)

So are you saying they don't expire? Sorry, you guys are too smart haha. Never dealt with a wood stove before.

they also have requirements for the spec's on glass, and how its retained, electronics shock hazards and pinch hazards from moving parts

Crusher changes them too. ;lol

So are you saying they don't expire? Sorry, you guys are too smart haha. Never dealt with a wood stove before.

no they shouldn't, unlike emissions testing, the UL rating is based on safety. what was safe in 85 is safe today as long as the install is up to code

Your biggest challenge may be getting dry wood to burn. It is very hard to come by well seasoned wood in Sept.. If you can get some fir or alder that was split in spring you might have a spitting chance. Otherwise this could be a funky burn year.
Be sure to check the chimney for build up at least once a month until you get to know the wood and stove.

Your biggest challenge may be getting dry wood to burn. It is very hard to come by well seasoned wood in Sept.. If you can get some fir or alder that was split in spring you might have a spitting chance. Otherwise this could be a funky burn year.
Be sure to check the chimney for build up at least once a month until you get to know the wood and stove.
Yea, what he said. Stick around, you will quickly learn a lot of us are years ahead in wood stocks, and having good dry wood takes a year or more in preparation. You Can't just put in a wood stove and expect heat. Pallets, A rare dry wood score from Craigslist, construction scraps are usually drier than cord wood you can buy or find. Someone may be actually selling dry wood. I have a few cords of premium seasoned hardwood I am going to try to sell this year, at a premium price. ?Unfortunately, I doubt anyone will buy it. People looking for wood in November don't know about wood, and will go for the less expensive, cut last week wood, that is delivered and stacked, lol. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveguy2esw

well, i do this for a living (relax, im not going to bill you :) ) many of the folks here who take the time to spread their wealth of knowledge (as i do) do it for the sheer enjoyment of promoting proper wood burning. you can do very well tapping that knowledge.

like i said before , this is a "family" of sorts, and like it or not , you're now part of it. now, just sit back, read , learn and remember the only "dumb" question is the one that doesn't get asked.

welcome to the hearth!

We're not too worried about the wood situation this year, us southern oregon redneck folk are pretty good at this wood cutting thing and we have lots of friends who cut 100s of cords a year and rotate them accordingly, so it's always nice and dry, and they're willing to help us get started. Another plus is both my husband and I work for Jeld-Wen Windows and Doors so we get LOADS of pallets, 2 x 4's etc. We could probably NEVER cut or buy wood, and always have wood to burn! So as long as we have a job anyway, haha. I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys alot!

State of Jefferson revival, I'm in. We're double XX. Triple XXX is SF to LA
Jefferson_state_flag.jpg State_of_Jefferson_svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's don't wreck a good thread about stove stuff.

We're not too worried about the wood situation this year, us southern oregon redneck folk are pretty good at this wood cutting thing and we have lots of friends who cut 100s of cords a year and rotate them accordingly, so it's always nice and dry, and they're willing to help us get started. Another plus is both my husband and I work for Jeld-Wen Windows and Doors so we get LOADS of pallets, 2 x 4's etc. We could probably NEVER cut or buy wood, and always have wood to burn! So as long as we have a job anyway, haha. I'm sure I'll be pestering you guys alot!
That's great! Do be careful loading lots of pallet or lumber wood into a stove, though. Ideal stove wood has moisture content around 20%, and kiln-dried lumber is usually closer to 8%-10%, stored indoors. Combine that factor with a lot of smaller pieces (like pallet wood), and you have a recipe for what we call a "run-away" stove. There are a few here who have a lot of experience burning lumber scrap, but my amateur advice is to not load the stove full of the stuff. Mix it with some cord wood, and you'll be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.