EPA Certified Cast Iron at Home Depot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Looks like a dinky stove.

It's too bad they're online only. I doubt they'll put those on the half-price plan in another month.

I think all of their online prices are higher than in the store. I've never seen HD half price a stove. I've taken advantage of Lowes doing it.

Matt

It's not a bad looking stove. If the window was bigger, like up to the top line in the metal front, it would be near as nice looking as the stoves that cost twice that. That's not to say that it would perform as well though, but anyway I like the look of it.

That looks just like my quad 400 I bought about 4 years ago and was discontinued then.
same controls except for the lever under the ash lip. Spin draft as they call on mine in the ash pan door and the primary is a metal on metal slide
control in the upper right corner. I believe mine is smaller and says dorve on the door. Mines not too bad for a little guy can really throw some heat when
cookin. My primary gets hard to slide at certain temps even with graphite, if you loosen the two screws that hold it in place too much the primary becomes wide open all the time. It took me a few trys and adjusting hot to get it right. The spin draft is a good hole burner, leaving the door open catches the wood more evenly. Just FYI I paid 300 for mine, showroom model and at a contractors price from a cement block and stove shop. Mines not a bad stove for I paid, good for small spaces, glass stays really clean when burning correctly, short burns it's a pita for 24/7. I am replacing it next year but keeping it in another part of the house for really cold spells.

If you look closely at the top left of the front of the stove it says "FORESTER". The home despot listing shows model # 3500. I did a few searches on google and US Stove came up in conjunction with Forester. I bet Forester is the Cast line of US Stove. Most likely overpriced, Made in China, junk. http://foresterstoves.com/

Their website isn't much better. It looks like somebody had their kid/nephew do the site for them after school.

-SF

Good catch, they certainly have the same ash drawer and latches. Now that I look at them, what's with the small latches? I'd think they would be real easy to burn yourself with being so small.

Matt

But it's cheaper! Thats why Ima gonna buy one. Cheaper is better when putting a fire in the house with my family, Yehaw, thats even cheaper than the tractor store!

EatenByLimestone said:
Good catch, they certainly have the same ash drawer and latches. Now that I look at them, what's with the small latches? I'd think they would be real easy to burn yourself with being so small.

Matt

Looks similar to some newer CDW stoves that you insert a ceramic handle into the stub so you do not burn yourself.. Many did not like them as they often dropped the ceramic insert and broke it..

Ray

It wouldn't be the first time some foreign, usually Chinese company, duplicates a decent product using inferior materials and methods and later provides totally inadequate follow-up support. The only contact info on their website is an email address. That's a very big red flag. Yeah, HD may stand behind it by providing a replacement unit or refund but what is that worth after you spent all the time and money installing it?

EatenByLimestone said:
My old CDW had brass handle extensions. I think I still have them somewhere.

Matt

I have those heavy solid brass ones here too... Stove came with 3 of them odd because they are not designed to be left on the stove so I only ever use 1 of them.. I scotchbrighted the lacquer off and regularly shine all the brass with brasso and they look awesome.. There is something about polished brass I just can't shake lol.. Must be a remnant of my Navy days?

Ray

I would never buy a stove from a big box store..

Why? There seem to be plenty of happy stove owners who have box stoves. Both of mine were made in the USA or Canada also.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Why? There seem to be plenty of happy stove owners who have box stoves. Both of mine were made in the USA or Canada also.

Matt

+1 All I hear has been good about Englander stoves and they are made in USA.. I would consider them too..

Ray

Yeah I'd buy an Englander over this. They make a good stove.

I would also buy from a big box. The dealer is not very important if you have decent manufacturer support.

You can get a real Jotul 118 Black Bear for the same basic price with a discount. Rated at 60,000 BTU as opposed to 41K, bigger firebox and one of the best cast stove makers ever. Top quality castings and metallurgy. 350 lbs vs. 250 lbs. A design with a great reputation and a devoted following. A no-brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.