EPA Exempt ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
What does EPA Exempt / EPA Approved really mean to the average person like me? I have seen EPA exempt on some stove models before but I don't understand how they can still be made and be exempt? Thanks Frank

fespo said:
What does EPA Exempt / EPA Approved really mean to the average person like me? I have seen EPA exempt on some stove models before but I don't understand how they can still be made and be exempt? Thanks Frank

In most cases, it means either:
1. The stove is a coal stove - these are exempt
2. The air from the stove cannot be turned down extremely low, this is called a high air to fuel ratio and it allows the stove to be exempted.

Other exemptions are cookstoves, furnaces and heavy masonry stoves such as tile and soapstone stoves that weight in excess of 1200 lbs or so.

Open fireplaces are exempt under #2 above.

Keep in mind that many areas of the country have air control regulations that do not accept exempt products, so while it may be legal to buy it may not be legal to use at certain (or all) times in these air quality management areas.

A few more, if it has a baking compartment thats 1 cubic foot or larger, then its exempt. Or if it has a 20 cubic foot or larger firebox, its also exempt (like a outdoor wood furnace). The baking compartment comes into play with alot of european stoves. Just a loophole.

All the above info is correct. In reality, there exist companies like Volzang, that use a loop hole air ratio EPA exempting,
to sell cheaply made imported junk. Basically poor made cast iron boxes without the ability to control air flow no secondary
burn.
They do not burn anyway near the EPA effeciency mandates for cleaner burning . I call them death boxes, due to the fact
they can be overfired easilly,, without being able to control them. Many are also not UL approved
As I interpet code, all appliances must be listed and labled, These boxes are not so therefore, I will not issue a permit for
their installation. The poorly made cast iron and uncontrolled burns make them unsafe for installations in residences.
Last year they were responsible for two home fires in my town They got cherry red actually split apart and ignited sourounding combustiables. No I did not permit them or was I requested to inspect them. I inspected their setup, after the damage was done, to determine what happened or what was the cause. If you are considering purchasing one, I strongly advise you not to put your home, and your life and famillies" life in jeapordy. Plus the enviorment will thank you for not putting this polluting stove on line

elkimmeg said:
All the above info is correct. In reality, there exist companies like Volzang, that use a loop hole air ratio EPA exempting,
to sell cheaply made imported junk. Basically poor made cast iron boxes without the ability to control air flow no secondary
burn.
They do not burn anyway near the EPA effeciency mandates for cleaner burning . I call them death boxes, due to the fact
they can be overfired easilly,, without being able to control them. Many are also not UL approved
As I interpet code, all appliances must be listed and labled, These boxes are not so therefore, I will not issue a permit for
their installation. The poorly made cast iron and uncontrolled burns make them unsafe for installations in residences.
Last year they were responsible for two home fires in my town They got cherry red actually split apart and ignited sourounding combustiables. No I did not permit them or was I requested to inspect them. I inspected their setup, after the damage was done, to determine what happened or what was the cause. If you are considering purchasing one, I strongly advise you not to put your home, and your life and famillies" life in jeapordy. Plus the enviorment will thank you for not putting this polluting stove on line

So when is the EPA or Feds going to wake up and outlaw those death boxes! It seems like if they kill people, they would be banned in the USA. Alot of people just look at the cheap price of these, and don't weigh the consequences or are just clueless. Maybe its some kind of trade agreement thing with the Chinese?

"So when is the EPA or Feds going to wake up and outlaw those death boxes! It seems like if they kill people, they would be banned in the USA."

they're not death boxes, they have thier uses. I know quite a few people with hunting/ice fishing camps deep in the adirondacks that would never pay for an epa stove for the 5 or ten times a year it's used. these stoves have thier purpose, just not for everyday heating use in homes.

Todd said:
So when is the EPA or Feds going to wake up and outlaw those death boxes! It seems like if they kill people, they would be banned in the USA. Alot of people just look at the cheap price of these, and don't weigh the consequences or are just clueless. Maybe its some kind of trade agreement thing with the Chinese?

The same time they outlaw outdoor burning - outlaw all antique cars, all experimental airplanes and handguns!

Oh, and open fireplaces, both pre-fab and masonry - both of which I consider more dangerous than a non-epa stove.

I agree in the hands of experienced burner in the applications you describe they have a purpose
as a 24/7 heat source in a home they are dangereous

hey’re not death boxes, they have thier uses. I know quite a few people with hunting/ice fishing camps deep in the adirondacks that would never pay for an epa stove for the 5 or ten times a year it’s used. these stoves have thier purpose, just not for everyday heating use in homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.