Epa just passed small engine regs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

All small engine appliances under 50 hp will fall into this category, Including pleasure vechicles, Jet ski, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, chain saws, log splitters. Most will be equiped with a cat converter to reduce emissions

Hmm does that mean my good ole husky 372xp is going to be antiqued? Doesnt that usually raise the value? LOL, on a serious note, Thats great news, it will proably raise the price a bit but two strokes are so dirty. Im glad to see a change.

I just have to see a two stroke with a cat. The oil in the exhaust would plug any cat in thirty seconds or less.

Briggs and Stratton are fighting it and if forced to comply they are threatening to shut down plants and take manufacturing off shore

EPA claims 18% of gas engine polution is caused by there small gas engines

MSG non older cat chainsaws could be worth more. I agree with brother bart cat clogging up on 2 cycle engines

BrotherBart said:
I just have to see a two stroke with a cat. The oil in the exhaust would plug any cat in thirty seconds or less.
The Husqvarna chainsaws have them now . Look out for the "GREEN gas cap" My new Husqvarna 346XP came with the cat muffler or should i say it "had" a cat muffler. The cat muffler on a chainsaw is not like a car/truck cat with the honeycomb style inside . It was simple at best.

I have the husky 359 with green cap also, i had the muffler walkerized when i bought the saw.

They put two holes on the muffler which gives you 1/2 hp gain and runs 20 f cooler

dwarfcityminesofmoria said:
I have the husky 359 with green cap also, i had the muffler walkerized when i bought the saw.

They put two holes on the muffler which gives you 1/2 hp gain and runs 20 f cooler

Won't be long. Have to take the saws in every year for an emissions inspection. Get a little sticker to put on the side of it. Pay some bureaucrat $25.

You would think they would go after those tractor trailers dump trucks ect, ever see that thick cloud of black smoke coming out of the exhaust?

And they say that small engines are worse, epa was only good for stoves.

You would think they would go after those tractor trailers dump trucks ect, ever see that thick cloud of black smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Actually they got onto the truckers before they did cars. I managed a truck leasing company in the the early seventies and we had to put turbo smoke kits on the diesels in 1973 to reduce emissions.

You ain't seen nothing until you have seen the smoke the trucks made in those days. The only smokers you see these days are the one man illegals.

BrotherBart said:

Actually they got onto the truckers before they did cars. I managed a truck leasing company in the the early seventies and we had to put turbo smoke kits on the diesels in 1973 to reduce emissions.

You ain't seen nothing until you have seen the smoke the trucks made in those days. The only smokers you see these days are the one man illegals.

Good point about the truckers. I live in Ohio and we have this thing called e-check. It's to check if a vehicle is not putting out too much bad emisions. Basically they check the cars computer post 1996 and check the exhaust pre 1996. I beleive desiels are not required to have an e-check. Like a desiel ford f-350. I see these full size trucks all the time with aftermarket accessories for horse power, some of them belching smoke. Yet they are exempt. interesting.

I would be curious to the emision a semi truck produces. I'll have to look into that.

Back the the main subject on small engines- To me as a consumer that does not sound like a bad idea. The price of them probably will go up though. While they are at it why don't they force us to use exclusivly the methane hydrades on the ocean floor. There is a decent article in one of the recent Popular Mechanics. Basically methane in a solid state is produced on the ocean floor. It's just waiting for us to figure out how to get it. (Bermuda Triangle)

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.